Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Linux anyone?
Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the "package browser" or am I looking at something else?

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
With Ubuntu or any Debian based distro installing software is just takes a few clicks --- look for Synaptic on your menu.

However Ubuntu is a bit unfinished and raw for the first timer, Ubuntu can do anything but it is a bit like going into a tool shop for the very first time ok if you what tools you want to buy.
It would be much more sensible to switch to Mint which has all the main desktop apps already installed or just a matter of clicking on the Mint website.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well I can only learn. I know there's going to be a few snags but then again I was like this with windows many years ago, until I learn what it was I needed to find.

I think it's just the terminology I have to get to grips with, there's no "download it here" button cos it's different for all the systems.

Downthemall is a firefox add on so that look easy enough, the others look like a case of reading the instructions. With this k3b I'm looking for the equivalent of the .exe file

I'll get the hang of this, I know it boots and shuts down way faster than windows!

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NinehighI'll get the hang of this, I know it boots and shuts down way faster than windows!

... Computers shut down?

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ubuntu is a version of Debian Linux, the important thing about Debian is that it makes installing new software absolutely painless and almost fool proof.

The new software comes in a file with a .deb extension. this file contain the application and a list of what other libbrary files are required and tells your computer where to install the application and where to install the icon on your system menu.

For example if you browse to the GetDeb website ( http://www.getdeb.net ) you will find a lot of applications if you look through the list you will find a little app called K9copy.

If you download the correct version for your system to the desktop you should have file with a name like k9copy_2.3.0-0~getdeb1_i386.deb on the desktop.

Click on this file and your systems built in installer should start, it will then ask you for your root password then install the software to your system and setup up an icon for you in the menu system probably under Sound & Vision or Multimedia sub menus.

[Edited on 22/3/09 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
If all else fails just format the Ubuntu partition and install Mint Linux --- installing software like K9 can be done from the Mint Software web portal via your Firefox.

[/I]

Keith Weiland

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
In Ubuntu it is very easy to add software as along as you know what it is called. In ubuntu go to Applications>System>Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for whatever it is you want to install.

It depends on if you are using Ubuntu or Kubuntu which apps are installed by default as they use different Frameworks and libraries though you can install any applications from one to the other if you want.

Here are the equivlents to what you use in windows

Flashget - Multiget (not in repositories so you have to download the DEB file. It should install by clicking similar to EXE's in windows.) or you can use Flashget through Wine.

Roxio media creator 10 - Brasero (this should already be installed)

Can I access my other (windows) machines- this should just work if you have a network

Mail server - I think you mean Mail Client. It sound like you just use a browser to access your mail so this should work with Firefox, otherwise Evolution is excellent as is Thunderbird.

Feel free to PM me if you want more help.

Oh and you might just register with the Ubuntu forums - You wouldn't ask them for car advice so why ask here for Linux help?

[Edited on 22/3/2009 by Keith Weiland]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Keith Weiland

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If all else fails just format the Ubuntu partition and install Mint Linux --- installing software like K9 can be done from the Mint Software web portal via your Firefox.

Better off using Ubuntu, Mint is fine and looks great but is lags behind quite a lot and Ubuntu is more stable and has a bigger community for support. Many Application developers are writing specifically for Ubuntu now so you are more likely to get things working in Ubuntu. the few things Mint does by default with codec etc are easily added to Ubuntu.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 22/3/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ubuntu relaseses are not are definitely stable.

The reason why Mint release version lag about 3 months behind the the Ubuntu version is that it waits for all the bits that don't quite work in Ubuntu to get fixed.

The instability of Ubuntu releases has been a talking point in the Linux arena for a while, for example Mepis linux at one time switched to using Ubuntu repositories but found they introduced too many bugs and now Mepis has swiched back to using Debian repositories.
The Mint Linux developer has also hinted that Mint is jumping off the Ubuntu ship for the same reasons.

The Ubuntu project is making much the same errors the Fedora project has by releasing for general use what are in effect early Betas. Ubuntu bugs unlike Fedora bugs do tend to get fixed -- Fedora bugs seem to take 2 or 3 releses before they get fixed.

Both Fedora and Ubuntu need to top being toys for the linux distro techie and prvide more sorted release versions, they also need to support versions longer after it has been succeeded by more recent versions.

[Edited on 22/3/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Keith Weiland

posted on 23/3/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ubuntu Releases may not be stable in the way that Debian is stable but in comparison to Mint is it very stable. There have been many issues with Mint stability, it inherits any of Ubuntu problems and creates many of its own, they have even had to remove the update manager and update notifier to increase stability in Mint to a reasonable level as the updates aren't properly vetted in Mint due to lack or resources and their inability to maintain all of their own packages the way Ubuntu does.

If you want cutting edge use Ubuntu, if you want extreme stability use Debian, if you don't want to install MP3 support yourself use Mint.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/3/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote

This could be a long discussion... popcorn, anyone?

Ninehigh

posted on 26/3/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the toffee kind? All others just taste like cardboard to me...

Still looking for the poker sites lol. Gonna have to check all this new information out and see just how good I can make it, I got another 11 hours at work.

Maybe all these different versions of (what I thought was) the same thing should get together then maybe they can launch a serious mount against windows. Everything I've done with Ubuntu so far has been much faster, except recovering from sleep mode (it didn't!)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.