Board logo

driving problem
andy d (rizla) - 27/3/05 at 08:56 AM

has anyone had a problem driving thier bec over long distances,i did 150 miles yesterday on a trip to clacton-on-sea

the car drove faultlesly,but i found myself getting a dead leg/foot on my accelerater foot after a long stretch on the motorway,i had to pull in to the services and take a walk about for 5 mins,then continue on with no problems

jacko - 27/3/05 at 09:06 AM

Hi Andy Should have got a MK
Jacko

andy d (rizla) - 27/3/05 at 09:15 AM

asked for that didnt i,

i think its a problem with motorway boredom(foot in same position all the time)

just wonderd if anyone had any tips(other than the ludicrous reason i should have got a mk)

seriosly though i think its the way i am sitting in the car, i can drive hundreds of miles with no probs if it on a and b roads,but after 100 mile on the motor way i suffer from pins and needles

i know these types of car are not tourers,
would rubber on the pedals help,i have like grip tape at the mo

Peteff - 27/3/05 at 10:08 AM

In my locost I put a square of ribbed mat for heel grip to give something to push against occasionally and stretch leg muscles.

JoelP - 27/3/05 at 11:00 AM

how about installing cruise control? for instance, the foot pedal works by pulling the cable, you could make a small hand lever to push the cable sleeve away from the pedal, install a lever by your knee to operate it, and maybe eevn rig up something to the brake to disconnect it. only a few hours work

RogerM - 27/3/05 at 11:13 AM

I have always had problems in 7's due to having more metal than bone in my legs and a fake knee. To get around this problem I don't sit at one speed on motorways. I will drop back and follow a truck for a couple of miles then give it a blast upto cruising speed, stay there for a junction or three and then repeat the cycle.

To be fair, if I can avoid motorways I do. With a 7 you don't get so stuck behind slow things so going mainly A roads doesn't slow you down much and sure helps with the entertainment value.

(If I have to take the car really long distances then I put it on a trailer...)

Stuart Ainslie - 27/3/05 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andy d (rizla)
has anyone had a problem driving thier bec over long distances,i did 150 miles yesterday on a trip to clacton-on-sea

the car drove faultlesly,but i found myself getting a dead leg/foot on my accelerater foot after a long stretch on the motorway,i had to pull in to the services and take a walk about for 5 mins,then continue on with no problems

I thought the stops were due to your bladder problem

andy d (rizla) - 27/3/05 at 12:36 PM

very good stu

thanx for your comments everyone(like the trailer idea)

i think i will vary my driving,on off throttle etc,its only if i sit with my foot in the same position constantly

carnut - 27/3/05 at 05:03 PM

I always find its my left ancle that starts to ache from holding it off the clutch. I think im going to make a little bracket to rest my foot on while crusing.

JoelP - 27/3/05 at 05:26 PM

thats why i like cruise control - i sit sideways with my feet up on the dash.

OX - 27/3/05 at 05:41 PM

used a rubber cover off a peugeot on my pedal ,maybe it stops the vibrations a little

Marcus - 28/3/05 at 10:46 AM

I think the pins and needles thing is lack of circulation in the feet caused by the wrong seat - pressure on the arteries etc, sit on a cushion on long journeys!

Marcus

andy d (rizla) - 9/4/05 at 08:46 PM

problem cured,ive moved the seat forward 3-4 inches then tilted it backwards so my thighs rest on the front of the seat,simple,should have thought of it ages ago

billy - 9/4/05 at 09:18 PM

i get the same thing, i found out that i was sitting on my wallet and it was digging in to my butt, must of been slowing the blood down, my foot would go knumb after 30 mins. i blame the hard grp seats

paulf - 9/4/05 at 09:31 PM

I also have found exactly the same , now keep wallet in jacket pocket .
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by billy
i get the same thing, i found out that i was sitting on my wallet and it was digging in to my butt, must of been slowing the blood down, my foot would go knumb after 30 mins. i blame the hard grp seats

clbarclay - 9/4/05 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
thats why i like cruise control - i sit sideways with my feet up on the dash.

An equally dangerous trick i've done before know to rest my right foot whalst on a motorway was to cross my legs and use the left foot maintain a stead speed whalst exercising the right foot to get some life back into it. Having said that, that was in a golf not a 7 style car so there is the room to do that.