Board logo

Over glasses goggles?
Skirrow - 25/7/11 at 08:30 PM

Can anyone suggest a pair of goggles that will fit over my prescription glasses and protect my eyes from flying grit?

Anything over 40mph, I use a helmet, but for local blasts I currently wear nothing over my eyes and it's only a matter of time before something collides with my face...

blakep82 - 25/7/11 at 08:36 PM

skiing/snowboarding goggles maybe?

Wadders - 25/7/11 at 08:36 PM

Most of the big motocross goggle names do deeper goggles to go over glasses, Oakley, Smiths etc

Al.

Originally posted by Skirrow
Can anyone suggest a pair of goggles that will fit over my prescription glasses and protect my eyes from flying grit?

Anything over 40mph, I use a helmet, but for local blasts I currently wear nothing over my eyes and it's only a matter of time before something collides with my face...

rusty nuts - 25/7/11 at 08:42 PM

Prescription goggles from someone like UKsportseyewear?

Worzey - 25/7/11 at 08:48 PM

I've got some Oakley over glasses goggles which work really well. Got them on ebay for around £30 if memory serves me correctly.

austin man - 25/7/11 at 08:50 PM

contact lenses and cycling glasses, safety glasses

Skirrow - 25/7/11 at 08:52 PM

Thanks, think I'll go with the motocross ones. They should be pretty safe at under 40 I assume?

Macbeast - 25/7/11 at 09:21 PM

I use protective goggle things from Wickes or B&Q as used for sanding / grinding etc.
Just perfect and very cheap.

David Jenkins - 25/7/11 at 09:38 PM

I've never found motocross goggles to be very comfortable (they kept pushing my glasses against my nose, or lifting them up) and I think they look stupid when driving (my very personal opinion, I hasten to add). In addition, I found protective over-glasses to be ineffective.

Having suffered iritis twice last year (google it - it's very unpleasant) and as a hay-fever sufferer I really do need good eye protection, and this doesn't come cheap. Because of this I have persuaded my wife to get me a pair of Dixons prescription goggles for my birthday, like these. They are close-fitting specs with interchangeable ballistic-grade outer lenses, and have a removable foam bit for a wind-proof seal (this can be removed if I just want a pair of prescription sunglasses).

I'm not paying that price though! I've taken the "try before you buy" option where you get the goggles without the prescription lenses, to see if they fit - this takes £50 off the price). I'm currently waiting for the inner frames to return from a different company who are fitting bifocal prescription lenses at a cost of £30 (single-vision lenses cost just £15).

stevegough - 26/7/11 at 08:53 AM

I have got some wrap - around prescription sunglasses - from 'specsavers' £125, made by Osiris, they are superb. Of course, I was also at the point of updating my prescription/getting new glasses anyway, so I bought these at the same time otherwise I'd have thought twice at that pricetag.

At a risk of having the mickey taken, I have uploaded some pics.....

swanny - 26/7/11 at 10:00 AM

there used to be a firm that did the kit car shows that sold them. my old man bought a pair that take a prescription lense.
only 40 or so quid i think. if you want the name i'll find it out. (he's in the states at the mo though so may take a couple of days)

norfolkluego - 26/7/11 at 11:11 AM

quote:

If you've got a helmet, wear it. Have you seen the size of some of the stones that get kicked up, particularly by lorries, they could do some serious damage to your face.

Skirrow - 26/7/11 at 01:27 PM

Thanks again fellas.

The prescription ones look great, but I've ordered a couple of pairs of motocross goggles for now. If I look a total idiot I'll keep them for passengers and get the prescription ones for Xmas off the missus.

norfolkluego, I do wear the helmet if I'm going on dual carriageways or anywhere where big lorries are common place. Just doesn't seem necessary around town and in residential areas - wouldn't pedestrians be at risk from stones and stuff? (That's a genuine question by the way, I'm thinking of taking my 5 year old daughter out with goggles on but I'm not keen on her wearing a helmet as I have heard that they are not safe in an accident for young children.)

David Jenkins - 26/7/11 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by swanny
there used to be a firm that did the kit car shows that sold them. my old man bought a pair that take a prescription lense.
only 40 or so quid i think. if you want the name i'll find it out. (he's in the states at the mo though so may take a couple of days)

Same bloke as in my link above - UKSportsEyewear - they are the importers of the Dixons goggles.

He doesn't do that many kitcar shows these days - too much travelling and too high a price for the stand. last one he went to/is going to is Exeter, I believe (relatively local)

norfolkluego - 26/7/11 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Thanks again fellas.

The prescription ones look great, but I've ordered a couple of pairs of motocross goggles for now. If I look a total idiot I'll keep them for passengers and get the prescription ones for Xmas off the missus.

norfolkluego, I do wear the helmet if I'm going on dual carriageways or anywhere where big lorries are common place. Just doesn't seem necessary around town and in residential areas - wouldn't pedestrians be at risk from stones and stuff? (That's a genuine question by the way, I'm thinking of taking my 5 year old daughter out with goggles on but I'm not keen on her wearing a helmet as I have heard that they are not safe in an accident for young children.)

All I can say is I'd never drive without a helmet (to be fair, I don't have a screen so that makes it worse). It's not just your eyes you to worry about, a wack on the temple by a decent sized pebble at 30 mph would be very unpleasant I suspect. I assume pedestrians don't get hit very often as they're on the pavement not in the line of fire right behind the vehicle in front. Why chance it?

David Jenkins - 27/7/11 at 07:10 AM

I've been hit on the visor by a bumblebee at 50 - 60 mph - the bang was impressive! It would have caused major damage if it had hit my eye, and would have been massively painful if it had hit anywhere else.

For me, the biggest problem was following builder's lorries & pick-ups - all the sand and cement dust blowing of the back and straight into my face.

David Jenkins - 27/7/11 at 03:37 PM

Update: my Dixons goggles now have their prescription lenses fitted - feel very odd, having goggles that let me see clearly! I'll give them a try tomorrow, weather permitting.

If anyone's interested - I got the inserts glazed at ciliaryblue, who did the job in under a week. If you've recently had an eye-test and have a decent pair of old glasses then they're a cheap way of upgrading to the new prescription. They'll even refurbish the old frames for £5 extra - nose pads, screws, etc + an overall clean-up.

I'll be sending one of my ordinary frames for new lenses in the next week or so, having seen what they did with the goggle insert.

Wadders - 27/7/11 at 04:38 PM

He He, you lot should have a go at riding enduro's, 70mph+ on the forest fire roads which are loose crush and run limestone.
Then you would really know what stones in the mush feel like..... :-)

Al.