Board logo

Dobbie remap...
coozer - 11/8/16 at 06:11 PM

Just had my Fiat Doblo 1.9d remapped today and boy what a difference! It takes off in very gear now.. and whistles!

So I'm now looking at 170 bhp and 250 ft/ lb..

Need a new clutch, first time I put my foot down in fourth it slipped!!!

Want to get rid of the dual mass flywheel and get something that's up to the job of propelling my shed down the road

nick205 - 12/8/16 at 07:54 AM

Interesting - I've read much about VAG TDI remaps and the results seem similar to yours. Clutches and rods seem the weak point after the remap, but you appear to recognise this fact so should be OK. I guess tyres could also be worn faster with more power and torque too.

One question (please don't answer if you'd prefer not to) - have you informed your insurer of the remap? My understanding is they prefer to be aware and I suspect can invalidate a future claim if not informed of the remap.

coozer - 12/8/16 at 10:54 AM

Err, no, going through my policy it doesn't ask about ecu mapping.. The place I got it done is going through about 10 cars a day. There was a 53 Passat TDI getting done the same time as me and he has a 52 plate Punto with the same engine as mine running 220bhp!! A new BMW 330d was coming in as I left.

I bought the car with loads of problems got it for far less than half the going rate and since I got all the issues sorted, just think engine out on the floor... its had huge holes in the power between 2 and 3k rpm and no pick up until the turbo spooled up.

Now it starts better, picks up from 900 revs in any gear and whistles between the 2~3k region without any hesitation..

Only pyhiscal difference to the car from standard is I've took the back seats out!

I don't inform them the car was underpowered and running dog rough when I bought it either..

[Edited on 12/8/16 by coozer]

nick205 - 12/8/16 at 11:52 AM

Fair enough!

sdh2903 - 12/8/16 at 01:45 PM

You are probably already fully aware but that doesn't cut it with insurance. You insured it as a standard car and now it's modified with a significant power increase. Granted in the case of an accident how likely anyone would know is very small BUT if they did your policy would be invalidated, no doubt. I did it in my younger days without telling them but now I wouldnt risk it.

Also bragging about it on the Internet, Facebook, tw@ter etc also not a good idea in this day in age when a slimy insurance underwriter can see it if they choose to look is not really a good idea.

[Edited on 12/8/16 by sdh2903]

[Edited on 12/8/16 by sdh2903]