Board logo

Breakdown service
madteg - 29/10/16 at 08:31 AM

Who gives the best service, i have car, kit car and motorhome. Need to cover them all

Barkalarr - 29/10/16 at 08:37 AM

I've got autoaid. It covers both myself and the wife for any vehicle we are travelling in.
It's something like £45 per year

rm0rgan - 29/10/16 at 08:49 AM

I use RAC any car cover....handy if you ever get stuck with a mate too who has problems!

Talon Motorsport - 29/10/16 at 08:57 AM

Be careful of 'personal cover' and 'any car' cover polices as there is often an age limit for the vehicle some are 12 years max and others are 16 years old. So if you have an age related plate on a kitcar that falls in to the over 16 year rule your not covered. As for motor homes if it's plated at more than 3500kg over 2m wide and longer than 5-6m you may also not be covered. Lesson always read the small print and ask the question before you pay the money.

ragindave - 29/10/16 at 09:39 AM

I have had breakdown cover for years never used it so I was pleased to discover single breakdown cover policy just what I needed 12 months cover including recovery home £16.95.

QDOS

Roadside & Local Cover
Caravan & Trailer Cover
UK-Wide Recovery
One Callout Discount

£16.59

gingerprince - 29/10/16 at 10:16 AM

Me and the Mrs have personal cover through GEM Assist. No age restriction on the car. No European cover though which is the only downside if you need it.

Chris_Xtreme - 29/10/16 at 10:50 AM

I have my kit car with Adrian flux, for insurance and breakdown. I have used the breakdown 3 times for the kit cars! snapped clutch cable, when I had my off and another time.

the key difference I feel is that when you say it is a kit car, I need a flat bed and it need to take me home, they just do that. I have heard stories of the aa and others who send a man with a van, who then says I can't fix it and then we'll use the dolly thing out the back of the van, followed by oh no you wont, and then hours later you get a flat bed etc.

I have stuck with them, with this being a big part of my reasoning.

the family mota, a zafira, is with elephant and just used an online comparison site to bring the elephant price down - do a separate one for breakdown as there included policy was say 60quid, where as I could have got the same separately for 25quid...

cliftyhanger - 29/10/16 at 06:50 PM

Have alook at the Nationwide accounts. We pay £10 a month or something, and gives good car cover (though check carefully for kitcar and camper)
Seems a lot until you realise it includes decent ravel cover and mobile phone cover.

In fact we regard it as a bargain....(unusual for us!)

coozer - 29/10/16 at 06:54 PM

I use autoaid, just renewed at £42.54. have a dedicated credit car hidden in the car for when its needed. That gives me a full month to claim the cost back after paying on the roadside..

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Slimy38 - 29/10/16 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
Me and the Mrs have personal cover through GEM Assist. No age restriction on the car. No European cover though which is the only downside if you need it.

Same here, although we had to declare all vehicles. And I think my 97 bike is starting to impact the premium, it's gradually creeping up.

Having said that, I was screwed by AA, RAC and Green Flag when it came to motorbikes as part of 'any vehicle' cover, so at least GEM are being open and upfront about it.

907 - 30/10/16 at 01:45 AM

Never had to use them, which let's face it is the acid test, but since the Suttol IVA I've joined the RAC.

Each year I join through Tesco Clubcard and pay £32. I ignore the £80 renewal letter at the end of the year
and pay the £32 again though Tesco.

Cheers
Paul G

Toprivetguns - 30/10/16 at 08:54 AM

Interesting. So they act as an insurance company who you claim back from? So who actually assists you with a breakdown? Do they work with the AA, RAC etc?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I use autoaid, just renewed at £42.54. have a dedicated credit car hidden in the car for when its needed. That gives me a full month to claim the cost back after paying on the roadside..

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX - 3/11/16 at 09:03 PM

Hi,
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown cover offering.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

swanny - 4/11/16 at 08:48 AM

i use the AA, and had an interesting chat with the guy who came out to me last week.
he was so helpful and flexible i wondered how much freedom they had to make their own decisions about what was the best thing to do and he basically said that now they will do 'whatever the customer wants'

he said this is fairly recent and come from management. he then gave a long list of stuff he's done to help customers.

things like dropping a car off at a garage, giving customer a lift home to get changed (they'd tried to fix the car themselves) waiting while they did, and then giving them a lift into town...

in my case i had a caravan on the back, and it stays at a storage yard. So rather than make me wait for a flat bed, we took the caravan to the yard first, then came back and did the car, then gave me a lift to the car hire place to pick up a car and waited until i knew they had one spare.

i've been considering going somewhere cheaper but i might be persuaded to stay by this.

coozer - 4/11/16 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Interesting. So they act as an insurance company who you claim back from? So who actually assists you with a breakdown? Do they work with the AA, RAC etc?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

You ring their number when needed, they then send out the local repair agent who does what ever they all do, fix or tow. You have to pay the guy at the roadside and he gives you a receipt you send to AutoAid who then refund you. Using a credit card means you have a month or so to pay the bill.

No hassle off the AA or RAC come renewal!!!

Toprivetguns - 5/11/16 at 07:06 AM

Thanks Coozer.