Board logo

Faulty Shock Absorber
the_big_1 - 23/6/21 at 07:46 PM

Hi guys,

Had a brand new set of Gaz shocks delivered this week.
When I opened the front shock box, there was oil staines. I asked the supplier who said they check all the shocks be before sending out. Fitted it all to the car and when I lower the front, it spewed oil out.

snapper - 24/6/21 at 05:54 AM

Post it back with photos…

Mr Whippy - 24/6/21 at 06:57 AM

and a link to this thread

the_big_1 - 24/6/21 at 06:59 AM

Hi Guys,

Will do, hope they don't drag it out lol

Grimsdale - 24/6/21 at 07:07 AM

guessing by the hole in the box, I suspect it's had a bit of a sideways knock during shipping, which has pinched the top seal.

nick205 - 24/6/21 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
guessing by the hole in the box, I suspect it's had a bit of a sideways knock during shipping, which has pinched the top seal.

About to say - I'd suspect a failed seal allowing oil out.

Don't know if the shocks are re-buildable?

If they are I'd want to return them and have them rebuilt by Gaz (or better still replaced).

Fred W B - 24/6/21 at 10:57 AM

in your first picture it looks like the rod is bent where is comes out the body

Mr Whippy - 24/6/21 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
in your first picture it looks like the rod is bent where is comes out the body

Na I think that's just an optical effect caused by the springs, sure looks bent but...

Fred W B - 24/6/21 at 11:44 AM

your blue lines make it look bent for sure, to me

adithorp - 24/6/21 at 12:18 PM

When I was building I found slight staining around tops of Gaz shocks in the box and slight leak on first use. I asked them about it at Stoneleigh and they said it does happen sometimes due to overfill during assembly. I was skeptical but
sure enough on leak in use once I'd wiped them down. When one did leak a year later they sorted a replacement pretty quick.

Def' appears bent but I'd guess it is an optical illusion caused by the reflection of the angled coils. Would taka a lot of force to bend one.

procomp - 24/6/21 at 02:33 PM

Hi. As mentioned above you do sometimes get a leak on top seal where piston rod goes into body but only very minor.
what you have there is a leak from the adjuster valve by looks of it.
it also looks like the main body at its base is making heavy contact with the mounting bracket. ?

I see your in Warwickshire, if you want to pop it over to me ( Brum J6 M6 ) i can check it over on the dyno and give a full report. FOC

Cheers Matt

the_big_1 - 24/6/21 at 02:45 PM

Hi guys,

Shipped via DHL back to the supplier. Was strange box had oil staining before I even started and seems to be leaking lower down rather than the top seal.
It's not clashing with wishbone etc, just the angle I took the pic at.