Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calculate your 0-60 time
Chris_R

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Calculate your 0-60 time

Have been mailed a link to a site that says you can calculate your 0-60 time with a formula, weight (kg) / BHP x 0.9. The site gives a few examples and seems to be quite acurate. Wondering how this applies to Locosts, so does anyone out there know their cars weight, BHP and 0-60 time. My car's a long way off.

Site in question: http://www.cars-cars-cars.org/0-60-Times-Calculator.htm

Cheers.

[Edited on 17/4/04 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 18/4/04 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
According to that, assuming 200bhp for the rover v8 vitesse and 600kg, ours should do 0-60 in 3.3s. I doubt this.

Assuming hicost is getting about 450bhp and 700kg, the calculator recons he should be seeing 0-60 in 1.7s. I doubt this even more.

DaveFJ

posted on 18/4/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm

Don't forget thats all up weight...

include a driver and fuel with a realistic weight and IMHO you would be over 800 Kg which gives about 4.5 secs - about what I would hope....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Chris_R

posted on 18/4/04 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, maybe not as accurate as they make out on that site. Does anyone know of a more reliable way, experience maybe. Anyone got a 1600 CVH and know their 0-60 time?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jmbillings

posted on 18/4/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ive not looked, but how would they take into account gearing with that formula? And gearchange times etc. etc.?
Chris_R

posted on 18/4/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the gear ratios, but they do suggest that ‘gearbox technology’ (auto/manual I think) is a variable along with tyre adhesion, driver skill, internal resistance and external resistance. They also put an emphasis on drive (front or rear) and engine position.

blueshift

posted on 18/4/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
Hmmm

Don't forget thats all up weight...

include a driver and fuel with a realistic weight and IMHO you would be over 800 Kg which gives about 4.5 secs - about what I would hope....

I weight about 75kg and fuel is a bit lighter than water, so 25kg of fuel is a bit over 25 litres.. so maybe around 700kg all-in. plus a few kilos of clothes if you're not feeling too daring. 3.8s... maybe possible. just.

mackie

posted on 19/4/04 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Playing with it a bit it does seem to approximate typical cars (between 1000 and 2000 kg) quite well but as soon as you put big power or light wieght in it falls apart.
If it's around 5s for our car I'll be more than happy. Less would be better though

steve m

posted on 20/4/04 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
What about wind resistance, "7s" are not exactley streamlined are they
Mark Allanson

posted on 20/4/04 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
In the early 80's when Cd factors were selling cars, they were published in What Car along with the 0-60 times - a Caterham was measured to be 0.65 with a screen.

Another formula is

t0-60 = 0.55 (Weight/Torque)

As it is torque which gives acceleration and BHP which gives top speed, it 'may' be more accurate (the 0.55 constant may need adjusting to compensate for lightweight cars as it was probably designed for family saloons)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

phelpsa

posted on 21/4/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
According to your formula mark I will have a 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds, I very much doubt it.

Adam

craig1410

posted on 21/4/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
I would have to disagree with you to a certain extent there as Kinetic Energy is equal to (mass x Velocity^2) / 2 and as power is the generation of energy per second then power is what is important.

HOWEVER,
It is "average power over the rev range in use for each gear" which is important not the peak power and this is the reason why the likes of a V8 "feels" faster than a smaller engine of the same "peak power" output because the V8 will tend to have a much flatter torque curve which in turn yields a much more linear power curve. A peakier rally or race tuned small capacity engine will produce its torque in a narrow range of RPM and unless you have a gearbox with tuned ratios to match this torque curve then you will fall off the cam and lose acceleration.

The only way to predict 0-60MPH is to try it really although if you have a rolling road plot of power/torque versus RPM (even better versus MPH) then you can determine your optimum gearchange points are (where road wheel torque in current gear equals road wheel torque in next gear) and then in turn figure out the average power generated over this RPM range. You can then use this figure with some adjustments for gearchange times to predict 0-60 more accurately.

I did this for my old Fiat Uno Turbo ie which I had on a rolling road (115 BHP IIRC) and then predicted 0-60MPH to within a couple of tenths.

By the way Blueshift, I'd be surprised if you can keep the car weight down to 600Kg's. I reckon that I am looking at closer to 700Kg's plus driver minimum.
Cheers,
Craig.

the man with a plan

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I know this thread is pretty old, but i was doing some research myself, and found that the coefficient of 0.9 seemed about right for similar(ish) cars.

Craig, I would like to disagree with you, if that is ok?

0 - 60 times is basically a representation of acceleration, and from N2 F = ma. Torque is effectively the rotational force of the engine, so F = ma applies.

Whereas top speed is obviousle a measure of speed, so bhp (from ke = 0.5 m v^2) is more appropriate.

Please correct me if I am being a twat and am talking out of my arse.

Cheers

craig1410

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
The man with a plan,
I had to read my own post to remind myself what this was all about...

I'd have to disagree that you are disagreeing with me (if that's okay... )
I think we are all just talking around the same stuff from differing points of view.

Instantaneous torque and instantaneous power are directly linked at any given RPM. Something like Power(BHP) = Torque(lbf.ft) * RPM / 5252 if I remember correctly.

However, I feel more comfortable with the view that to accelerate my vehicle from rest to 60MPH, I need to produce a certain amount of energy and the more power I have the quicker I can achieve this speed with all other things such as mass being equal. But there is no point in thinking that if my car has a peak power output of 200BHP then this is the figure I should use in 0-60 predictions because my RPM and therefore power output will not be constant during the run. In fact, assuming a linear power curve and assuming that each change of gear will knock the RPM back from 6000 to 4500 RPM, the power will go from 200BHP to 150BHP with an average somewhere in the middle, say 175BHP. This just happens to be 0.875 of peak power which is maybe where the 0.9 estimation comes from.

If you try to perform the estimation using torque figures then you need to adjust for each change of gear whereas with power figures the power output only depends on RPM and this is readily available from a rolling road trace. Rolling and transmission losses obviously apply to both.

One final thing I'd like to point out again is that these estimations will vary considerably depending on the engine type with the extremes being BEC and V8 (or even diesel) and with the gearbox ratios.

In short, you'll be lucky to get an estimate within 1 second of the figure you will achieve in practice so stop guessing and start building then you can nip down to Santa Pod and find out for real...

Cheers,
Craig.

the man with a plan

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I (more or less) stand corrected. I admit I did forget to consider revs and gear changes.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a much more accurate model for 0 - 60 involved both functions of power and torque and would be dependent on the power curve.

I must agree, the best way to work out your 0 - 60 time is to go out and just do it. I cant wait!

Anyway, its pretty interesting

craig1410

posted on 3/6/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I think you could come up with a fairly accurate model but I think the starting point would have to be a rolling road power plot of power at the wheels. Using this along with gear ratios you can work out the best gearchange points and then use this to come up with a decent estimate of 0-60. You will still need to fudge the figures to take account of gearchange times and clutch/tyre slip during take off. This can be very significant once power to weight ratio's get to a certain level. Perhaps the 30-80MPH test would be easier to estimate but then aerodynamic effects need to be taken account of...

Santa Pod it is then...
Cheers,
Craig.

Dale

posted on 23/6/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at "street dyno" which will with some work allow you to measure and get a hp/tourqe curve. I am pretty sure that the dash seven will have this capability at some time - I hope
Dale

Bob C

posted on 3/9/04 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Download "cartest" off the web fellas, type in your car's details & let it work it all out! It does all sorts of losses, gears & everything, simulates 1/4 mile, 0-60 and performance round various tracks (where you can race against a mclaren F1).
BECs watch out - it don't do revs over 10k - I divided rpm by primary reduction ratio to make it all work. I'll post a picture of an output page later tonight.
cheers
Bob C

stressy

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one bob

A friend of mine from a few years back used to use this along with a desktop dyno to toy with drag cars and spoke highly of it. I could not remeber the name of itbut you found it.

I ran a couple of cars i know well through it and the results are supprisily accurate for them. you need to remember to put in the high cd for a 7, and to use the fuel plus driver weights ( add a passenger and you may get better traction). Ive just run my car through it as she is in the garage today and it gives 5.9 seconds. Not unreasonable at all.

Good bit of fun.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.