Pos.
Road

Reasons offered…
1 M25 stretch between Junctions 5-21 "The antithesis of driving"
2 A303 from Andover onwards "Single-carriageway and caravan hell"
3 M1 "All of it!"
4 A34 Bloxwitch to Cannock "A feast of speed cameras"
5 M6 between Junctions 6-12 "Concrete views and nose to tail jams"
6 A350 Shaftsbury to Blandford ‘Every imaginable obstacle makes it a stop-start bore’
7 A8000 from M9 to Forth Bridge ‘Spine-jarring road surface even in a traffic jam and there’s always one of those!’

Seven Best Driving Roads in Britain As Voted By 7 Owners

Pos.
Road

Reasons offered….
1 A87 Invergarry to Isle of Skye, Scotland "As breathtaking as it is challenging"
2 A4086 "Pass of Llanberis" from Caernarfon to Capel Curig, North Wales "Popular destination but twisty roads and Snowdonia backdrop make it a must drive"
3 A827 Killin to Ballinluig, Scotland "Clear roads and just fun, fun, fun"
4 B4407 Ffestiniog to Pentrefoelas, North Wales "A demanding drive but clear views for miles"
5 A686 Penrith to Hayden Bridge through Gilderdale Forest, Pennines "English countryside at its finest"
6 B3223 across the Brendon Hills & Exmoor Forest "Narrow but flowing bends that beg to be driven"
7 B3306 St Just to St Ives, South West "Can be busy with tourists but worth an early start any day"

http://www.carpages.co.uk

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/8/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
none of the best in that list are motorways....

the M6 in Cumbria is really nice in some sections. You almost feel there should be somewhere to pull off and walk around.

Worse roads? Any road between 7 - 9.30am and 3.30 to 7pm in most places of the uk.

atb

steve

[Edited on 16/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Peteff

posted on 16/8/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
somewhere to pull off and walk around.

Take plenty of tissues then . You'll get arrested one day.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Scotty

posted on 16/8/04 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
when i had my last bike (zx9r) one of the bike mags did something similar, naming what they thought were the best roads for bikes - couple of weeks later, guess which roads the coppers were watching ..............
subk2002

posted on 16/8/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
nice one peteff
theconrodkid

posted on 16/8/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
northern part of the M25 should be included,those french truckies need shooting

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mackie

posted on 16/8/04 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
B660 north of bedford is a good blast. Brilliant visibility for a lot of it and loads of tright twisties.
Mark Allanson

posted on 16/8/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
B3306 St Just to St Ives, South West "Can be busy with tourists but worth an early start any day"

I can vouch for this one, I used to do a 15 mile detour on my way to work to feel the thrill

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 16/8/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
pickering to whitby, over the north york moors. only one awesome corner, down and up a hill so great visiability, theres a bridge at the bottom that you can hammer it across, nice little right left, full racing line due to the mile view down the road.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 16/8/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Before Fylingdales and Gothland Joel, smashing bit of road but it's always full of holiday traffic when we go .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 16/8/04 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
thats the one pete! i always stop on the railway bridge in gothland, its an ancient looking little station, straight from Hairy Pothead, sorry, harry potter.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

phelpsa

posted on 17/8/04 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
The A4 between Marlborough and Newbury, a centre lane almost all the way. We have manage 125mph in the subaru (followed closely by a Seat Leon Cupra R) and overtook a very pissed off Westfield owner (may be good at the 0-60).

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 17/8/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Literally just down the road from us

I can feel an early morning drive coming on!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 31/8/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Has anybody driven Hardknott Pass in the lake district in a locost? I was there last year (not in a locost) and drove it a few times, its a little 'exciting' in places but what eles would you excect from Britains most windey and steep road! If you get there early in the morning its almost completely clear but watch out for the odd sheep.

For a locost however, i don't know whether you would class it as a good or bad road...

DaveFJ

posted on 31/8/04 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of roads from my recent camping holiday in scotland looked to be fantastic....

The B9007 from Nairn to Carrbridge up across the moors
was fantastic. Almost empty and quite demanding but bloody good fun. Wish I was in something a bit more interesting than my tin top though

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Bob C

posted on 31/8/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
hardnott pass has some extreme "blind summits" that with a 7's long nose you'd be driving blind into god knows what - frightening enough in an old talbot sunbeam... 1 in 3 hillstarts would not be good for a BEC either!
My fave road was the one over from penrith towards tyneside A69 or 669 - made all my passengers ill! The infamous cat & fiddle road is an ABSOLUTE blast when empty, trouble is there's red paint all over it now & a dedicated cop copter at weekends to sweep up broken bikers.
The road from Leek past Alton Towers totally p1ssed me off - used to be a good road, now 50 limit & ridden with gatsos.
Cheers & beers
Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.