Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: s peedhumps
nick-york

posted on 9/10/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
s peedhumps

Hi all. I've had my 7 for just over a year now. I never grounded it on anything for about 11 months of careful driving especially where s peedhumps were concerned. But recently I've had a few scrapes and near does ! I've grounded on a drive where it meets the road on a horrible angle. Driving slightly diagonally over the peak trying unsuccessfully to avoid contact. Another time was going along a culdesac up a steep driveset speedhump which was ok but when I turned round and tried coming down it i grounded! I had to turn round and reverse down it!! Another time I tried to go over a small speedhump and grounded on it! It was one of the concrete ones that are about 4 inches high and about 4 inches high and go the full width of the road! I avoid these ones now and have had to turn round a few times when I've spotted one further along the road. I do worry that I might not be able to get to my destination sometimes because of a speedhump! Anyone else on here have these problems? My 7 is exactly 2. 75 inches from the ground to the lowest point which is at the front between the wheels. Opinions please? Cheers - Nick
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/10/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi nick you really could with a bit more ground clearance 4 inches is ideal can you jack the engine up a bit or the sump will need shortening .
BenB

posted on 9/10/15 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey. That's not a lot. We're speed bump mad round here so I'm on 80mm and still hold my breath over a few bumps and am planning on dry sumping...
Adamirish

posted on 9/10/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
yep, same issue here. haven't measured my ground clearance but it would be around 3 inches I'd say. Smacked it at 60 mph on a hump in the road with the corner of a manhole cover. Thank god for a 5mm ally sump guard!! Took a lump out of it. I am very wary around here, herefordshires roads are shocking.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/10/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Difficult to explain verbally, but there's a type of hump around here that I can't cross. The 'normal' speed tables involve two sections of timber to build a quick ramp, so I can cope with those. These things are two square units, across the road, the idea being that the buses can straddle them (as can the school run tractors) without incident. However, the kit car can't, they're spaced such that going down the middle (etc.) is impossible.

There is now only one approach road to the house that has the 'normal' speed tables, it's the only route I've got (with planks).

I did contact the council, only to get a policy statement on traffic calming, reducing speed and safety, especially for children walking.

Ironic that the tractors full of kids (i.e kids not walking) just speed through at insane speeds, drivers on the phone, oblivious.

SteveWallace

posted on 11/10/15 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I was at a Manchester University open day with my daughter yesterday looking at the Civil Engineering department. They are working on an inflatable speed bump. The idea is that if you're approaching it within the speed limit it stays deflated and level with the road, if you're above the speed limit it inflates and behaves like a normal sleeping policeman.

I was at Franks Blyton track day on Friday - you really notice what a shocking state our roads are in after you've been on a properly prepared track.

CosKev3

posted on 11/10/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Difficult to explain verbally, but there's a type of hump around here that I can't cross. The 'normal' speed tables involve two sections of timber to build a quick ramp, so I can cope with those. These things are two square units, across the road, the idea being that the buses can straddle them (as can the school run tractors) without incident. However, the kit car can't, they're spaced such that going down the middle (etc.) is impossible.

There is now only one approach road to the house that has the 'normal' speed tables, it's the only route I've got (with planks).

I did contact the council, only to get a policy statement on traffic calming, reducing speed and safety, especially for children walking.

Ironic that the tractors full of kids (i.e kids not walking) just speed through at insane speeds, drivers on the phone, oblivious.

Got that type locally too,I have to wait until there is no traffic coming in opposite direction and go in the middle of the road with one wheel going over each hump.
Presuming your local ones have the refuge/bollard thing in centre of road so you can't go down the middle of them like I do?

adithorp

posted on 11/10/15 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
...there's a type of hump around here that I can't cross. The 'normal' speed tables involve two sections of timber to build a quick ramp, so I can cope with those.

Are you saying your car is so low you actually have to stop, build a ramp, drive over, remove ramp...?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nickm

posted on 16/10/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I used to have a Tiger Cat with a 2.0l zetec and type 9 the bottem of the bellhousing was the lowest point, approx 3,5 to 4 inches, fast road bottom of a dip and camber/subsidence on the Left side of the road big hit limped home after just avoiding the Audi that had decided to do an overtake without looking into the bottom of the dip just after my impact.
Complained to council and tryed to get them to pay me for the engine out (got Tiger to check all the mounts for stress fractures) went back to the site and measured up all the subsidence holes etc threatened to take them to the small claims court and the reply was "go on then but the loser pays the court costs and we will send a solicitor to represent us".
We dont take them on enough but thats because we cant afford to lose ! if the car is to low it shouldnt pass the "design" part of IVA.

Feel better for that rant anyway, even if it was 7 years ago !

Nick M

ianhurley20

posted on 17/10/15 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
If its the small claims court then each side pays its own legal bill, can't be transferred to the loser

[Edited on 17/10/15 by ianhurley20]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.