Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Picked up the mk.. my sprint car thread
pistol pete

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Picked up the mk.. my sprint car thread

.. was not sure where to make a thread about my sprinting.. so thought i go here
So..
Some words

After much deliberating of what i was doing with zombie mr2.. it was decided to go turbo.. started gathering some bits...
Then i recieved a text message from a very gokd friend say he want to sell his car which imhqve loved since the he got it and i went in it, bedause he would love to see it being sprinted...
As it was a fairly large chunk of monies i had to have a good think about... still that only took me 4 hours and the wife sayjng if imdidn't get it i would always regret it..
That was 5 weeks ago.. this weekend has been the first chance we both been about for me to collect.
But also give chance to build the garage to store it in.

I thought for last 5 weekd i been really good slowly getting more excited.. but no the wife tells me i been a nightmars and glad i been outside doing the shed.. lovely isnt she

Anyway so this is road friendly, comes with wets/road tyres.. which meant i would need some kind of track tyre.. i almost went new.. untill my other good friend put a post on his other forum asking for wheels..
And pot of luck someone came back with same wheels that are already on it .. with some avon zzr's they cant use as the msa groups have put the zzr in a higher group.. bonus for me

So this weekend came along.. friday i worked a late... till 10pm.. thenmi was meeting the guy with the wheels at blyth services.. just past worksop..
So i left a 5am.. i was laying awake most of the night a tad excited..

I set fairly groggy.. but after a stop at cambridge for feul and food the sun started to appear and i started getting excited again.. got up to blyth at 9.30 met a really nice chap (thanks ben) and picked up thses bad boys

Then i drove back down to mansfield.. many miles covered
And arived at Phil's house (Magicbeans) around 10

Had nice cuppa and chill the out to before being introduced to the beastie...
Said hello.. had a chat.. put some bits like new arches in the shogun.
Then some lunch , tax it.. then it was around 1300... time to go play..
Had next to no fuel to phil drove it round the petro, station.. the realised what i was letting my self for..
He then took over again and went for a longer drive as a goodbye i thinks..

I took over.. wow its lively..
I took it very easy... learning is gonna be a slow process.. had a about 5 miles behind the wheel.. its the craziest stupiest fastest scaryiest thing i have ever driven.. and i love it

Got back to phils and loaded up on my nice new smaller lighter trailer... perfect fit.. brilliant

Then off home.. where it rained .. car got wet but... but when home got in garage wasnt too wet dried it off and its awesome... got a few bits to do today..
Straighten steering wheel, adjust front wings, move seat forward fit under tray
If it atays dry go out for a run..

So here are some pocs.. but before i do... i must say the 3.5 v6 shogun it a beast... tows brilliant.. really good.. heated seats etc etc just superb..

Pictures...

:thumleft:

pistol pete

posted on 18/2/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
now being used by my insurance as their Kit car insurance picture..
http://www.aib-insurance.co.uk/kit-car-insurance

40inches

posted on 18/2/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
You have a cracking car there
If you want to know what has been done to it, you need to read this thread. A lot of time and money spent. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=167149

I see you have found the thread already

[Edited on 18-2-16 by 40inches]

pistol pete

posted on 18/2/16 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate

read it several times and posted in it before even buying it

jeffw

posted on 18/2/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a great car.

If you are entering a road-going class, neither of your two sets of tyres are now legal.

[Edited on 18/2/16 by jeffw]

pistol pete

posted on 18/2/16 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Trust me i been sprinting for a while.. i know whats legal in my class and all is good
Irs just a kit car class
Thanks its great car i love it

daniel mason

posted on 18/2/16 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'll see you at Blyton Pete!
pistol pete

posted on 18/2/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh yes.. I saw you had put the Jedi.. Bet that's awesome.. Cant wait to hear it on track
jeffw

posted on 18/2/16 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pistol pete
Trust me i been sprinting for a while.. i know whats legal in my class and all is good
Irs just a kit car class
Thanks its great car i love it

Great stuff, I was a bit concerned as the ZZRs and the A021 are no longer in List 1B.

pistol pete

posted on 18/2/16 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah same as my v70a have moved in list as run them last year.
But its alll good

Thanks for the heads up

pistol pete

posted on 23/2/16 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Well i have had a few days out in the car now.. getting to know it..
It is great really enjoying it, learning it. but cannot use it anywhere near its potential on the road.. well not safely anyway, thats why i sprint now

So i had started a little list in my head of things that needed doing

I took the nose and bonnet off to make work easier

First off is the exhaust could do with re-packing.. luckily it is a repackable exhaust.
i got the exhaust off and found it actually has a cat in it.. i am going to leave it there, help keep the noise down and much easier at MOT time

here it is stripped down, new packing order should be with me Thursday

So that is all sat there waiting..

Next up was a small oil leak.. coming from the dry sump pump outlet.. it was only tiny..
found one of the allen bolts was loose, then found the thread stripped.
So taken out, re-tapped and refitted,, all nice and tight, i suspect may still leak very slightly on the pipe inlet, but i will have to wait and see. hopefully its fully sorted, If not then its a pump out, exhaust off job

Next up was the flat floor, as the sump sits lower that the chassis and sticks out i wanted to get the flat floor on asap,to help protect the sump, but a load of the riv-nuts were spinning or just come out
so with a drill and new riv nut gun and a bit of time later.. we have a fully flat floor

here you can see the flood now under the engine rather than just ground
of course this will help me if i am loosing oil as to how much

Also changed the oil at the same time, now go the joys of trying to make sure dry sump is at the correct level which on a bike engine you can only do when its running, so that will have to wait untill the exhaust is back on

In preperation for racing.. of course it "may" rain, known to happen in the uk every now and again
So a romper suit to keep me dry was purchased.. if it does rain i'll make sure i get a picture of me and Ben together (he has the same suit)

Lastly is tomorrow or wednesday i am going to be fitting the track wheels/tires.. this will mean some alterations to the front wings.. which is good as i am not happy with how they sit, a bit too close to the tire for my liking

So much so one of the screws has made a nice indent all the way round on one tyre
adjusting them for the race tires then just leaving them with a bigger gap for the road tires seems the likely way forward..

pistol pete

posted on 24/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Grr wrote is out once stupid pad decided to refresh...
Try again

Went about fitting the track wheels today.. the orignals i am running for road use a are yokohama wet tyres 185 60 13 front 205 60 13 rears.. new ones for trsck use are avon zzr softs 205 50 13 all round
Got the rears on first without issue.. the are close to the deffuser but its clear

Next up was the fronts.. i knew these would take a bit of time as wanted to increase the gap between wheel and arch..
Also due to the width the wheel would not go on due to the arch upright...

Pics of how it looked once arches were off

So i wanted the front arches to look right with either the road wheels or track wheels..
I managed to only get one side done today.. there was a lot of bending to get the wheel on.. the getting the attchment point in the right place with the right gap..
Then to get the arch to sit central had to cut to carbon to get the arch to sit over far enough.. and then re drill the fixing holes

Both wheel now sit really nice and central.. huge difference between them..
I got to get some carbon patches to cover the old holes.. but this is race a race car now

Here is how the standard wheels now fit yes whole car needs a clean

See where its had a trim up

See how different mounting points are now

Road vs track

And how the track wheels sit

Now just cover the old holes and tidy up a bit will look perfect

To do the otherside tomorrow

pistol pete

posted on 25/2/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Finished off the odd jobs today
The exhaust wadding arrived to that got fitted and re installed.. as it heats i should expand fill it and hence make it quieter.. so will give it a few runs and do a db reading and report back.. sounds good though

Next up was to finish the front arch wheel fitting.. pretty much exactly the same as i did on the other side again fits perfect..
I am though as soon as i can afford it will be getting new wider arches and new arch carrier brackets. Current brackets have been bent about so much in their life they are starting to not look so great or line up straight.. but neither are expensive be about 200 to sort the whole thing

But these are on and working for now so do the job..

This arch sits out slightly too much.. but only really notices in the picture... its doing its job till new ones come

I then rolled it out fired it up and made sure all the oil levels were good on the dry sump sytem once it had warmed up as oil has been changed

Then got the nose back on and some pics of the the flat floor/splitter and other bits

Took for a drive with daisy
I love those tyres.. after driving these the yokos are really showing their age... and it drove great sounded better and no more front arch rubbing noises yay..
It really is silly quick too

Then to finish the day i gave it was wash and a dry and tucked it back to bed...
Very chuffed..

I am thinking at some point ill need to re wrap it as the wrap is cracked in some places.. which opens a whole world of oppotunities

[Edited on 25/2/16 by pistol pete]

pistol pete

posted on 22/6/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
First run on track.. a long way to go!!! first sprint of the season

https://youtu.be/1wPTxowZQWQ

Then

Not been updated for a long time..

but It is now zombie stickered up, and went for round 2 at blyton for the javelin sprint series..
feel a lot more at home with the car now..
Had a lot of fun, and smashed the time i was aiming for on first run out..

Ended the day with 3rd in class (1st&2nd had about 50-70hp up on me) but ill get them next time..
couple of vids for you

Sorry for the smudge that was a fly from earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mPpFG_z4_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuwjeh8rA1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jq_2XxRPTk

Had a issue while out the other day. The charging loom decided to melt..

Somehow managed to get it home.. new rectifier and re pwired now running okay.
But could not test due to the cycle wings snapping the bracket.

New wings and brwckets purchased.. done much neater job than last ones we sorta bent all in wrong angles.. i have a got a proper bender at work so all at right angles pqinted and ready to fit tomorrow..

blyton park trophy.. very chuffed with this

Looking into wiring issue..

the problem is found
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Busa/03001c24.jpg[/i mg]

rectifier was not in air flow so bracket made, remounted new one and plug re wired

My old front wings and brackets as said before have been moved around soo much there were well knackers..
here they are to give you an idea

also i have had problems with them rubbing on hard cornering on track..
So new wings and brackets purchased. these i wanted set just right with nice bends on etc..

painted and properly bent

correct holes sliced in to keep strength
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Busa/03001c37.jpg[/i mg]

fitting on the car..

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Busa/IMAG0004.jpg[/i mg]

Took Andy Ayres on here out for a test run... he said its a hooligan
ran well, stronger above 7k, so suspect the wiring/rectifier has been on way out for a while

there ya go .. bit of an update from the other forum i am on..

Could a mod move this post to BEC cars for me? just a good place i think it sits better thanks

[Edited on 22/6/16 by pistol pete]

CosKev3

posted on 22/6/16 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well done with the sprint!
Great videos
I noticed your using the clutch on up shifts,have you tried clutch less upshifts?
Much faster and smoother gearchange when your at high revs!
The charging systems do struggle on BECs,mine failed last year and resulted in me breaking down as the first time I realised I had a issue was the car stating to misfire,battery was by then totally flat and it cut out
I've fitted a small digital volt gauge so I can now monitor what the charging system is doing as you have no charge/battery light on a bike.

pistol pete

posted on 22/6/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Well done with the sprint!
Great videos
I noticed your using the clutch on up shifts,have you tried clutch less upshifts?
Much faster and smoother gearchange when your at high revs!
The charging systems do struggle on BECs,mine failed last year and resulted in me breaking down as the first time I realised I had a issue was the car stating to misfire,battery was by then totally flat and it cut out
I've fitted a small digital volt gauge so I can now monitor what the charging system is doing as you have no charge/battery light on a bike.

Thanks mate
As for clutch less up shifts.. yeah that is something I have learn about since last sprint so that'll be happening next time..
Also do have an expensive flat shifter on the way.. the it'll be mega...

The volt gauge is a great idea might look into that
Also looking a full new loom with mbe ecu over winter..

When mine went it just wouldn't restart. I was 30 miles from home first time it had let me down. But.. I was outside Audi who lent me a jump pack. I got it going. It would rev over 5k.. then it would produce enough power to run under 4k.. so trying to drive 30miles in a bec using the them revs was.. errrr character building

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.