Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Places to test handling
SteveWallace

posted on 12/4/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Places to test handling

Now that I've dusted the Viento off and un-SORNed it my thoughts have turned to testing its handling. I've only lost grip on the rears a couple of times on the open road and pushing it beyond its limit without knowing what's going to happen in that environment will end in tears, so I was wondering if there is anywhere in the Nottingham/midlands area were its possible to do some testing.

Track days are fine for going fast, but I'm really looking for somewhere where you can spin or end up going sideways without any consequences - so somewhere open to have a play. The apron at East Midlands Airport would be ideal, but I suspect that they would not be to happy with the idea

daniel mason

posted on 12/4/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you can spare a day off work. 3 sisters at Wigan is available to hire at £60 h/r. You can't go crazy there as I there is tyre walls etc but you'll be able to sort the handling easily. It's nice and twisty but with a couple of fast corners and heavy braking zones. A good test for a car. £180 for 4 hours if needed
rusty nuts

posted on 12/4/16 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
A skid pan would be ideal
twybrow

posted on 12/4/16 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
It is a trek, but North Weald is ideal. Loads of space and nothing to hit. What i would say is that sliding on the track is very differernt to using the back end to steer on the road. Both are fun, but the police dont tend to like powerslides on the road! If you really wnat to explore the limits a wet air field is superb fun!
JacksAvon

posted on 12/4/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Try This

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=203526

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

bi22le

posted on 12/4/16 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rear end squiggles on the road = bad times
Rear end squiggles on track = happy times
Loosing the rear end anywhere = bad times

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Nickp

posted on 13/4/16 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
TBH Steve, Blyton's about as safe as it comes apart from an open airfield. I know you did it last year and had a couple of 'moments'. There's a couple of corners that you have to treat with respect but beyond that all you have to do is make sure nobody is directly behind you before you start pushing the limits towards the point of spinning. My favourite corner is the double apex Bung Bunga down the bottom end but I never sling it in fully commited if someone's behind me. You might remember it in my Z3?
SteveWallace

posted on 13/4/16 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'll definitely get along to Blyton again at some point - unfortunately I couldn't make the last day that Frank organised.

I suppose that what I'm really after is somewhere where I can play at doing doughnuts and power slides to build some skills. There is all that open space between the main road and the track at Blyton but we were expressly forbidden to play on it. I did have a run over to the Rolls Royce test centre at Hucknall airfield (closed) last year as its only a couple of miles from me to see if they would let me on. The security guard was helpful but unfortunately they had just sold the tarmac bit to a housing developer who had already started to dig it up

As rusty says, a skid pan would be good.

owelly

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Pop your cap on backwards and get yourself down to MaccyDs carpark.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Or enter an autotest/autosolo.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy D

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
What about one of Oulton park's Drift days?
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2016/may/20-op-drift.aspx

Nickp

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
I'll definitely get along to Blyton again at some point - unfortunately I couldn't make the last day that Frank organised.

Next one's June 17th

mk1storm

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I wanted a place to do the exact same thing with my car... Like you said, play around a bit, learn what it would do on or over the limit (mostly lower speeds), lose control on purpose etc... Didn't want to do that stuff on a track day (guess a lot of it wouldn't be allowed).

I'm not that far from Millbrook Proving Ground and do some test work there occasionally for my OEM employer, so asked Millbrook if I could take my car and pay their usual hourly fee for personal use.
They were basically happy for me to do it as long as i was covered by adequate insurance which ended up being something that could only be possible to arrange through a ltd company. Therefore didn't go anywhere in the end...

Volvorsport

posted on 13/4/16 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Was gonna say Millbrook......

The track license is 40 squids. My vote would be Blyton......

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Phil_1471

posted on 13/4/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know if you find anywhere Steve, I'm near Mansfield and usually just find an empty industrial estate tbh, have to be carful tho as don't want to upset anybody....

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.