Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Varifocal goggles
swanny

posted on 22/7/17 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Varifocal goggles

Hello all
I've recently been fitted with varifocals, having never needed specs before. I generally wear a pair of wrap around shades/goggles in the kit car to stop my eyes going red with the wind etc.

My dad used to have a pair of wrap around goggles which took a prescription lense but they aren't big enough for a varifocal. Does anyone have experience of using a non varifocal for driving only?

Thanks l

ianhurley20

posted on 22/7/17 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the opposite question was the one expected. I have driven for 50 yrs , the first 20 or so with glasses as I was short sighted - 1995 I had PRK (laser treatment) and didn't need glasses - great! Now I am a pensioner my eyes are getting longer sighted as the years progress and it is now helpful but not legally necessary, to wear glasses again. Doing so makes the dashboard instruments a little difficult , but not impossible to read. So, recently I have tried bifocals and yes they do help in both distance and closer work. Never tried varifocals though, not sure if they would help. My best glasses are a pair of prescription polarising sunglasses which help with glare etc, who cares what the dashboard says

40inches

posted on 22/7/17 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
You don't really need varifocals for driving, single (long) vision are fine for driving. I have a pair of varifocals specs and a pair of single vision,they are the same size!!!
hearbear

posted on 22/7/17 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have had the single vision for driving and varifocals for everything else but now just use the varifocals for everything now and find it a lot easier. Once you are used to them it's not a problem the one thing I will recommend is what my optician told me, where you want to look point your nose at it.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/17 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem - just using single-vision long-distance lenses means that looking at the instruments is hard work. Most of the time I use my usual varifocal glasses when driving the Locost (it has a windscreen) but I have close-fitting wrap-around frames for when I feel the need for more protection.

I got the frames at http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk - they came with an insert for prescription lenses - but didn't buy the lenses from them... too expensive. Note: just taken a look at their website and their frames have got quite expensive (but not a lot more than the posh frames in Specsavers).

I sent the insert and a copy of my prescription to https://www.ciliaryblue.com/ - tell them what it's for (I rang them) as they have to compensate for the lens being much closer to your eye than in ordinary frames. I think I paid about £30 for bifocal inserts. Their postal service is very quick.

So now I have a pair of bifocal goggles with high-impact front lenses that can be changed to clear, grey, polarised, etc.

matt5964

posted on 23/7/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
If you want some varifocal safety glasses then Bolle are the only ones to make the truly wrap around lenses in the contour RX £180+vat varifocal or £140+ vat single vision or if goggles then the twister Rx Baxter RX or Tracker RX will do they should be £140+vat for varifocal or £100+vat single vision

Going for a safety spec to En166 f (contour specs) or B (twister,Baxter or tracker) would be worth while in an open car that's open as normal prescription glasses are made from CR39 plastic which shatters on impact, not good for your sight if a stone from a car flicks up or Glass even worse..

Been selling Bolle for years very good stuff

http://www.bolle-safety.com/models/prescription-safety-glasses/3

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

matt5964

posted on 23/7/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Another option is from RXsports website they to a ballistic resistant motorcycle glass/goggle that can be varifocal or single vision

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Wiley-X-SG%252d1-Prescription-Sunglasses-%252d-Matte-Black.html

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

posted on 23/7/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
My eyes focus perfectly from a metre to about six metres.

I wear bifocals for driving and find that I see distance and read road signs, and also keep a watch on revs, oil pressure, temps etc.

Small detail on satnav used to be a problem as well.

I would advise finding an understanding optician who can relate to your needs and place the divide line in just the right spot.
I found such a private practice and she mocked up a cardboard box in front of the window and marked an old pair of glasses with
a felt tip till we got it right. The divide line now falls along the bottom of the windscreen.

IMHO
Forget Boots, Specsavers, or online. Go for personal service every time. Debbie (Prism Optical Services) was actually cheaper.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.