Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help: Fogged up visors
carnut

posted on 28/1/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Help: Fogged up visors

Ive just got back from a little ride out on a wet and drizzly morning. My visor kept fogging up to such an extent that I couldnt see jack so I kept having to pop it open.

Does anyone know any way of stopping this? Should I keep the visor down till the mist goes? Is it better to have the vent open or closed?

I urgently need help as im on a track day tomorrow!

thanks
Carnut

tigertom

posted on 28/1/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
you can get a stick on insert you apply to the inside of the visor.they are available from most motorbike accessory shops.about £15.stops all fogging up.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/1/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
You can get anti-mist spray from most bike shops.

Alternatively, in the past I've taken a couple of short bits of plastic tube (model plane fuel pipe) slit them lengthways and pushed them over the bottom of the visor - this holds the visor open a few millimeters and keeps everything clear (I used to get my glasses fogged up on my bike).

David

shortie

posted on 28/1/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I always open my visor just a little bit so that the air flows in and stops it misting up.

Rich.

Hellfire

posted on 28/1/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure wearing a full face balaclava under your helmet would ease the misting problem and also keep your face a bit warmer during the cold months

Also, check your vents are open.

alister667

posted on 28/1/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just ask for "Fog City" anti mist inserts at a bike shop. I atually bought mine online - If you want I might be able to hoak out the URL.
I had this problem too, but a biker mate put me onto these. They work incredibly well - I highly recommend them, just watch not to scratch and be careful on installing it.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flange nut

posted on 28/1/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
A wipe over on the inside with neat washing up liquid helped a lot in my bike days.
timf

posted on 28/1/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
whipe 1/2 a potato across the visor then polish up
mandy69

posted on 28/1/05 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,
Dry bath/hand soap gently rubbed over visor then gently polished off will stop misting and water just runs off, works a treat for me on my Gixer11.
Ta, Mandy

chick

posted on 28/1/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
As some others have said, get a Fog City
insert from motorbike shop, about 15 quid.

It works. None of the other methods of spreading
crap on the visor work. (Sorry guys)

I really can't stress just how good a Fog City is,
and I have no connection to the company!

Tim

posted on 30/1/05 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno if it helps for helmets but we used to spit on the glass of our diving masks wipe it round with your finger and rinse it with a little water.Dont wipe it dry with cloth.

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
All of the wiping crap over the visor things do work but no where near as well as an insert. I use a Caberg J1Plus (face flip up helmet) on the bike and when my insert got pulled off by my clumsy fingers, I had to get home. I kept the visor a thumbs width from being closed and all was well but the draught made my eyes water a little - no biggy but I'd rather do without it!!!

I spat on the visor and wiped it clear with my scarf. All was well for a while then I had to stop and do it again. If you try the sprays/fairy/potato options as a quick fix, keep the vents open (all over the helmet) and get air flow over it.

marc n

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
best stuff ive used was called bob heath visor spray always seemed to do the job well ( most karters use it )

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
As Cita said i used to rub spit on the inside of me visor and wipe off. Done the trick a treat and cheaper than buying something. Most lids the visor has a slight cracked thing. So its slightly open. No probs

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Simon

posted on 1/2/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
There really ain't no argument.

It's Fog City - it's a thin plastic sheet which is stuck to the inside of the visor.

IT DOES NOT FOG UP

Forget all about spuds, washing up liquid, rainex. Yeah they work for about 1/2 hour.

Fog City - Fit and forget!

ATB

Simon

PS Motorcyclist for nearly 20 years!

dern

posted on 2/2/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried all of these on my bike and by far the best is the fog city stick on thing. It never fogs up.

However, if your wear glasses it's not much use because your glasses still fog up.

The only thing that works for me (being a glasses wearer) is a neoprene insert called a foggy respro (or something like that). It velcros in to the chin bit of the mask and fits over your nose directing all your breath out of the bottom of your lid. Foolproof and you can take it out when you don't need it.

Mark

Simon

posted on 17/2/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Specs wearers

This won't be much help as I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it may jog someones memory.

In the good ole days of the Model Engineering Exhibition in London a few years ago I saw a demo (with someone from the crowd) of a (pink?) liquid applied to glasses that stayed clear even after being put in front of a steaming kettle.

I think it was called Crystal Clear but really can't remember.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.