Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hill climbing
carnut

posted on 1/2/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hill climbing

Hi,

Ive been looking at Hill climbig my Indy this summer.

Does anyone do this and what licences do you require and what clubs do you need to join ect?

Is there a specific series for kit cars as I fancy doing quite a few events this year?

Any help would be most appreciated.

thanks
Carnut

mookaloid

posted on 1/2/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate,

I am hoping to compete myself this year.

Have a look at this

http://www.harewoodhill.co.uk/

You will need to join a motor club - I joined BARC and you will need a competition licence which cost me £18 last year I think.

There are some classes for kits which are split up according to how far from 'standard' they are and if they are bike or car engined.

Hope this helps and hope to see you there!

Cheers

Mark

carnut

posted on 1/2/05 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need the BARC Racing membership?
zilspeed

posted on 1/2/05 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
You need a national B non race licence. Once you do a sufficient amount of events without stuffing it you can upgrade to an A licence. You gather signatures from the Clerk of the Course at every event towards this.
Big events need an A licence.

Go to the RACMSA website for all the blurb on this

Volvorsport

posted on 1/2/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
you shouldnt need it , since its the club youll be competing with , more likely the HSA . I shall be hillclimbing in my volvo this year , trying out the engine mods .

best off tho , is getting a compo license from MSA , then deciding which competition you want to enter , the local one at harewood , and you should be good to go .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

carnut

posted on 1/2/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just for clarity, below are the steps I can see me having to take.

1. Get "non-race national B" licence from MSA.

2. Join HSA or other recognised motorclub.

3. I am now qualifed to take part in an event so can enter a hillclimb at Harewood for example

A few bits Im unclear on.
If I join HSA can I compete in hilclimbs and sprints organised by other clubs?
Is there a championship I wil be able to compete in or will I have to just do indevidual events?

thanks
Carnut

JoelP

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know if you know, but andyps on this forum marshals at harewood. Do you go to the ponty meet? if so, you probably know him (or at least his face!).

a u2u to him should provide lots of useful info

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andyps

posted on 12/3/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Only just read this as I don't often visit this section as I haven't got a locost to drive yet (haven't even started building yet).

As far as I know for Harewood you don't need to join a club at all, you can just enter the events - all the entry forms are now available for download from the website.

If you fancy a quick look, and to find the people who will be able to answer any questions the practice event is this Sunday, from about 10 until 5 and is probably free entry as basically it is not intended for spectators so very limited facilities. Everyone is friendly, and I should be standing around on a corner somewhere waiting to push cars back on when they get it wrong!!

Just look for a red Fiat Coupe parked near a corner and that is where I will be - come and say hello if you get there.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

carnut

posted on 13/3/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Only just seen this, else I would have come across.
mk blade

posted on 14/3/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I will be there on the 27th of this month for the first meeting of the year, camera in hand.

Would have come over yesterday but went to stafford show, will get some pic from show on web site some time today.

Next weekend the 20th is also the first meeting of the 750MC season at mallory, again will be there with camera.

Will keep an eye out for anyone i know at both events.

Tony.

andyps

posted on 15/3/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
There was a Locost at Harewood on Sunday - driver was Richard Vaughan from Wilsden - anyone on here?

On the last run it made up the hill it was very sick, but I didn't find out what the problem was. Hope it wasn't too serious for Richard.

Next Harewood is March 27th - details and preview on www.harewoodhill.co.uk. Hope it is warmer than it was on Sunday!!

[Edited on 15/3/05 by andyps]

Andy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/3/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Carnut, Im not sure if it appies to hillclimbs or not, but for racing you'd need to have a proper RAC type braced rollbar to compete (pass scrutineering) - worth bearing in mind so as not to turn up and be refused entry

carnut

posted on 17/3/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris,

This is something I hadnt thought of. Althought I have been thinking about getting a full cage made.

Do you just need the two rear stays or does it also need a diagonal inside the hoop?

thanks
Carnut

carnut

posted on 17/3/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
What about tube wall thickness/type etc?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/3/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure on dimensions etc, but Im pretty sure it needs two rear stays and a diagonal as minimum.
If you know any racers, they'll have an MSA blue book which gives you all the rollbar/cage designs which meet their criteria

Chris

andyps

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
For hillclimbing you don't need the full cage, infact you probably don't need a cage at all. You can certainly enter Harewood in a standard road car without a cage and with standard 3 point harnesses - may not apply to certain classes though, have a look at the regs which are on the site.

Andy

JoelP

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
harewood have a driving school day soon, 7th apr is it? sounds like fun. Shame you have to bring your own car though, my current fastest is a 1 litre ax!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andyps

posted on 26/3/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I meant to post this after my last post. Checked the Harewood regs and if you enter in a road going class there is no need for a roll bar at all, although they are permitted. Have to have a windscreen for these classes though.

Event on Easter Sunday if anyone gets fed up of chocolate (short notice again).

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.