Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st accident!
Oliver Jetson

posted on 29/9/05 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
1st accident!

Just thought I'd tell someone about this as I'm pretty shaken up!
About 6.03pm this evenin I was in a real nasty, but luckily non-serious rta.

In my mates punto comin round a bend off the M6 near cannock, greasy/wet road, understeered, lost it, hit curb with the rear right hand wheel, car rolled 3 times over onto opposite side of road, t-boned another vehicle (while we were upside down during the rolls!), rolled to a stop luckily the right way up but facing the wrong way on the other side of the road! Weather to blame, nothing my mate could have done.
My mate driving had grazes on right arm, girl in front passenger has minor head injuries from caved in A-pillar, I was in the back left hand seat and suffered small cut on elbow and neck strain. Couple in t-boned car were fine, just a little shaken up.
I cannot believe how lucky we all are to be here now after this nasty accident. Just thought to myself as we went over and over that I don't want my arms and head bein partly ejected thru the totally smashed windows so I did a kind of brace position like they teach you on a plane!
Sittin here now just wantin to tell someone coz bein only 21 this has really shook me up!

Can't thank the paramedics/ppl who stopped and the police enuf for their fast action and professionalism.

Loaded some pics n my archive just to give an insight!

Oli

[Edited on 29/9/05 by Oliver Jetson]

Winston Todge

posted on 29/9/05 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey that Punto looks nailed...

Glad to hear everyone was okay. As you say could have quite easily been much worse...

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonbeedle

posted on 29/9/05 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
Been there myself in a VW high top van. It seemed to roll in slow motion. Not something I'd care to repeat. Glad you are ok. You were very lucky. It will take a little while to get over it but it will make you appreciate what a dangerous place the roads can be and how these things can happen when least expected.
Take care.
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alister667

posted on 29/9/05 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're alright.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

shortie

posted on 29/9/05 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're ok mate.

Punto actually looks like it stood up to it well, fair play to fiat!

Rich.

donut

posted on 29/9/05 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey, looks nasty. Glad you're all in 1 peice.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

JonBowden

posted on 29/9/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I did that at speed in an MGB GT years ago. I think I'm lucky to still have my right arm - as it must have jumped out the window during the roll (badly grazed elbow).

Glad you're ok

Jon

MikeR

posted on 29/9/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear your ok - modern cars do hold together very well.

did something similar (although through a ditch / along a hedge) at christmas. Still think about it at times.

Just try to relax and let the emotions happen. you've been through a big shock, let your body go into shock. I didn't - rushed around afterwards and made it (mentally) worse. Watched a rally car video a couple of weeks ago and had nightmares about my accident that night.

colibriman

posted on 29/9/05 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
glad all of you are ok...scary situation.

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gingerprince

posted on 29/9/05 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson
In my mates punto comin round a bend off the M6 near cannock, greasy/wet road, understeered, lost it......Weather to blame, nothing my mate could have done.

Glad everyone escaped relatively unhurt, looks like it could have been a lot worse!

However I do have to pick up on your comment above. There was something he could have done, i.e. drive to the conditions.

I know we've probably all driven too fast etc in the wet and I'm no exception, just that technically there was something he could have done about it.

Glad everyone's okay though.

Oliver Jetson

posted on 29/9/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for your comments guys, woke up this mornin feelin bruised - got a lovely one on my collar bone!

I suppose there is somethin he cud have done, but the road was a 50 and i know we weren't doin more than 40, plus we didn't know the road at all, so didn't know wat kinda corner it was. But it's over now so glad of that.

Mike R-F

posted on 29/9/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Glad everyone was OK, but hate to rain on the parade. This sounds like a classic case of too much speed in adverse conditions & if so, your mate IS to blame.
I should add, I've done exactly the same thing myself a few years ago & ended up upside down in a Cavalier with wife & kids (all strapped in). Nothing more serious than a written off car but the point is, it WAs my fault. I was driving too fast for the conditions. Cars don't understeer for no particular reason.
Just to prove I'm really stupid, I did exactly the same thing again a year or so later. Another written off car. I treat road conditions with a bit more caution now.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
As a counter-argument to the "actually, it was the driver's fault" posts, there was a programme on ITV recently that discussed a road surface that's been introduced. A very large number of people have been driving along at very reasonable speeds and found themselves with no control over where the car's going. Something to do with the top surface of the tar going shiny, or similar. Many councils now roll fine gravel into the top to stop this happening, a process that wasn't thought necessary before.

So - the question is - was the road surface laid recently?

David

BTW: I support the "bit too fast in the wet on strange roads" theory...

MikeR

posted on 29/9/05 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to post a point i often make about you should only drive as fast as you can see and be able to stop in my original post. Something a lot of people don't do which scares the willy's out of me - especially if i'm the passenger.

I thought better off it even though he wasn't driving due to the shock Olivers probably going through now (yeah, yeah i've said it now - but so have lots of other people).

But here's the rub. I work by a large roundabout at the top of coventry. Every time it rains after a couple of weeks of ok weather i get to admire a smashed up car. The roundabout DOES NOT GRIP in the wet. Even after a few weeks of winter weather i still get to look at smashed up cars. I know this and have still managed to spin a car (luckily not hitting anything). Road surface has a lot to do with accidents, modern, safe, comforable, insulated fast cars also have a place in the equation.

Last night it was a rather new MGF with a slight rear offside camber problem - the wheel was hanging off.

tadltd

posted on 29/9/05 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Glad everyone's OK, but I also have to agree with comments about driving to road conditions.

Although I've never rolled a car (only a kart!), I have had some pretty big accidents that were entirely avoidable if I'd driven with a bit more common sense.

I thought I learned my lesson first time, but - as the years passed - I became complacent and cocky again. Result: another accident. Luckily(!), no-one's been in a car with me and I've never hit another car.

After my first big shunt (I was about 18 or 19), I remember emotionally breaking down in the back of dad's car about a week later. Give yourself time to come to terms with what's happened, and be glad that you and your friends are around to learn from the lesson.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

mookaloid

posted on 29/9/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can say with some conviction that I am quite good at avoiding accidents like this now.......

In my younger days I had several shunts and rolled a car or two - I'm bordering on expert on crashes and what causes them considering the number I've had! I would also say, thinking back that I probably could have avoided them all if I had known what I know now about driving.

However I think that the single biggest lesson I have learnt is since I took my bike test about ten years ago - there is nothing like riding a bike to make you aware of road surfaces and conditions. I would definitely say that most car drivers who have never ridden a powerful motorbike on roads will not have a clue about varying road surfaces and conditions. I certainly didn't appreciate it.

Once you have learned the skill of reading the road on a bike it transfers back to driving the car and accidents like the one mentioned here can be avoided.

Also, and I have no wish to be hard on anyone, but the insurance companies charge young drivers high premiums for a very good reason - they don't have the experience required to avoid accidents like this and consequently they do have them on a more regular basis than more experienced drivers.

Any way glad you are all ok

Cheers

Mark

MikeR

posted on 29/9/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at the pictures of the crashed car - looks just like the Clio i was passenger in when it rolled (except you haven't got half a hedge in yours and it seems lots of bits are still attached like bumpers, mirrors etc).

The other thing that reminds me of the clio is the roof. I'm NEVER having a car with a sun roof again - don't mention the seven anyone, its not having a roof!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 29/9/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
My mate does realise that it was his fault, bad judgement and all that but caused by the adverse conditions. And the fact that the ambulance driver told me that 4 weeks before a 4x4 did exactly the same thing 4 weeks ago in the same place in wet weather goes to show that it is a nasty place. I'm suprised there was no central barrier dividing the 2 carraigeways thus stopping any cars going to the other side if it is a known type of accident there.

Thumbs up to Fiat for building a sturdy little car aswell

We live and learn, that was my mates 1st crash in 6 years of driving lets hope there's no more!

Oli

Hellfire

posted on 29/9/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can't "hope" for avoiding accidents... slip of the tongue I guess You must take measures to ensure you don't have another.

An accident is always your, or the other driver's fault... it's human error, nothing more.

big_wasa

posted on 29/9/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Rollled my first car ,a Mini .The rear subframe collapsed .me and my brother went over 3 and a 1/2 times..Scared the sh1t out of me and him..

The main thing is every one walked away.....

johnemms

posted on 29/9/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel spill !!!! You wait till you hit one in the wet - got nothing on ice i can tell you !!!!!!!!!

all the best mate....

MikeR

posted on 29/9/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
ok, ok, ok, who's not been in a car thats rolled ???

come on, show of hands, you, lad, at the back, put that hand up or down, none of this half way silly business..........

(I'll now wait for NS Dev who i seem to recall has managed to roll, flip, plough a furrow and catch fire all in the same accident - its not clever, its just showing off)

[Edited on 29/9/05 by MikeR]

Browser

posted on 2/10/05 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
ME! Never been in a roll,never want to be I spun my Fiat Strada (a Super 85 no less) on a Roundabout due to driving like a total nob. Clipped the inside (45 degree raked backward) kerb, rear suspension compressed fully (single transverse leaf spring, rather elderly/sagging) which unloaded the rear wheels and spun us, retaining a good deal of momentum in the direction of travel. Car now proceeding backwards at about 40-50 mph, I thinks"phew, that was clo.."!BANG! as we hit the first lamp-post on the exit from said roundabout. Result: 1 written-off Strada due to uneconomical to straighten, 1 very peeved me!
Glad to hear you're OK, other have so I won't day it was all the weather's fault, but most of us have been there and done it to a greater/lesser extent, just learn from it!
My only contribution is, what type of tyres did he have fitted? I always used to fit cheapo's or Colway remoulds until I got a Carina GTi which came fitted with Goodyear Eagle Venturas and my god did that open my eyes! I couldn't believe that a normal car could grip so well on standar road tyres. Sadly, I didn't immediately banish cheap tyres from my mind until we got a Nissan Micra as a second car a while back and it needed four new boots, so it got Korean cheapos which imbued it with the handling characteristics of a long-clawed dog on wet lino I was OK with it but wifey was not as good at allowing for conditions and nearly rear-ended someone at a roundabout 'cos it locked up on her. Since then, I've happily paid the difference for decent rubber as I (now) can't see the logic in having a well-designed braking system if the friction medium need to transmit said braking force to the road is second-rate kack!

[Edited on 2/10/05 by Browser]

greggors84

posted on 2/10/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear your ok mate. When i first read the title i thought you have crashed your locost!

Regarding what hellfire said, accidents often happen by accident so there is nothing wrong with hoping that they don't happen again as well as driving a bit more cautiously, which i guess Oli's mate will do from now on. But apart from driving 10mph everywhere its hard to avoid them, and if we were all going to be driving that speed we wouldnt be on here!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

JoelP

posted on 2/10/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
i nearly totaled someone the other day, she couldn't see me due to the setting sun and turned across my path. Fortunately she stopped and just left enough room for me to swerve past her, as there was no chance of stopping (60mph and maybe 20 yards from her) without the abs i wouldnt have been able to get round her as it had locked up.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.