Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken wing stay
zilspeed

posted on 21/4/04 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Broken wing stay

Woohoo - I broke a wing stay today. Does that qualify as a rite of passage ?

Seriously - rough road, plus press on speed plus welded joint between tube and flatbar caused a failure on the rear part of the offside stay.

I have since checked the front damper settings - I bought this car remember - and the fronts were on full hard settings. They are now on full soft - just like the rears. I don't see a need for any firmer unless I'm on a track.

jmbillings

posted on 9/5/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same thing happened to us with the top stay, on a Belgian motorway (they are bumpy as f***) Luckily we stopped on the hard shoulder before the rear stay broke, removed it and lashed it to the roll bar till we got back to blighty! As for a rite of passage... yeah, if you like We found our front wings would actually vibrate when at a standstill, engine idling, so its no surprise the weld broke. Steve doubled up the thickness and re-made the stays, all good ever since.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markp

posted on 9/5/04 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
And I thought I was the only one

Lucky for me it snapped about a mile form my house so it wasn't too bad to get back.

I've made them stronger now but it's still something I think about ALOT when driving over bumpy roads

Mark

James

posted on 13/5/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Zilspeed is right- it's a right of passage when the break.

You're not a true Locoster till you've lost atleast one!

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.