Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donnington 13 oct 2010 vid and photo
mark chandler

posted on 14/10/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Donnington 13 oct 2010 vid and photo

Hello chaps

Brilliant day yesterday at Donnington, clear dry day, started a bit cold but got warmer whizzing around in the little car.

Never been before so spent the morning learning to drive on my tired yoko 048's. Lots of Caterham's there as it's race day for them on Saturday, by the afternoon I could almost keep pace but had lost my clutch (something has snapped inside to do with the actuating lever) so started in first, crashed the box up to sixth then stayed there.

Not sure how fast I was going as no speedo but with the gearing and rev counter I was nudging 10500 - 10750rpm ~115mph at Craner and Schwantz curves, sphincter rating of 9 just not brave enough to keep my foot down. Had to lose the Yoko's and stick on the slicks to go this fast

Backing off on the straights to control over heating and protect the engine meant lapping at about 1min 20sec before falling off as in the mandatory vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAdLGA4kb98

Then a couple of pictures of AnneMarie

AnneMarie
AnneMarie

and myself

Mark
Mark

Highly recommended, will definitely be going again.

Cheers Mark

[Edited on 14/10/10 by mark chandler]

locost750mc

posted on 14/10/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you had a fun day
Some good slides up at copice, then a wonder into the gravel and accross the track, thanks for that. But i do have to say it didnt seem to be handling all that well when i was watching, seemed very twitchy. Shame you booked on a day where for some reason they allowed Trackday drivers, and race licence holders to go out at the same time, was mayhem with the overtaking rules straight out the window, Im up there on the 1st Nov doing a trackday, wish me luck! Nice of you to include the vid of the off at mcleans.

mark chandler

posted on 14/10/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
It is a bit twitchy, not sure how to set it up to be honest, the front is well planted but the rear slides and grips, I think I need to wind off a bit of negative camber on the rears.

I have the same COG on the rear so a reposition of the upper brackets may improve things, I also have some rose joints so can stiffen it all up over the winter.

The morning was mayhem, but at least following really fast cars you learn the lines, I needed something to chase to go this fast Packed up after the last slide as I had already taken out the posts on the chicane and spun once before.

Better to save the car and go another day.

Good luck, we managed to bag a garage for free as well so a little bonus.

[Edited on 14/10/10 by mark chandler]

Andy D

posted on 14/10/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
looking at the pics, it could maybe benefit from some wider rubber on the rear.

The new Donny chicane looks a lot quicker than the old version.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/10/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
A trip to procomp......

ps one of my donni vids popped up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyn3AfJqDU

Kriss

posted on 15/10/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
how did you get on noise limit wise mate?

lack of engine braking due to gears and a bit too long on the brake pedal seems t be the cause of the slide and gravel trap usage.

really want to do donny, last time i did was in a 182 cup on suspension and semi slicks - was great, until it snowed lol

mark chandler

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
My turbo keeps the noise down, 96.5 static so fine with the drive by meters.

They made it very clear that noisy cars would be kicked off, a very noisy golf appeared for a few minutes only

They have an unlimited noise open track day in November, that could be for you

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.