Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Padded steering wheel centre.... Ok for IVA?
Sloan85

posted on 19/2/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Padded steering wheel centre.... Ok for IVA?

I got bored with the electrics at the weekend so made a steering wheel centre for my Mountney steering wheel. It is padded and covered in leather with the MK logo "embossed" into it. It sticks out a bit more than i would like (i should have done the foam 5mm thinner) but what do you think? Will this, along with the collapsable boss be sufficient for IVA?

austin man

posted on 19/2/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think it would be okay providing it is securely fastened to the wheel ie use of a strap to fix it to the wheel not sure if velcro would be okay

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ReMan

posted on 19/2/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great
Dont see why it wont pass. Ver small though, does it cover enough of your dash?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Sloan85

posted on 19/2/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's got bolts built in which fix the steering wheel to the boss.

What would it need to cover on the dash?

deeceee09

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
The Momo wheel that Caterham supply with a pad adhered by Velcro passed IVA for me last year.

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

Hellfire

posted on 20/2/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's common practice to use the standard Sierra steering wheel for IVA because the area of the dashboard within the diameter +150mm of the steering wheel, is exempt from testing.

That steering wheel looks way too small. Have you driven the car with it fitted yet? Do you have a quick rack fitted?

Phil

rb968

posted on 20/2/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the above ^^

when I had my IVA it was with no windscreen or aeroscreen and he still measured edges on a my clocks behind the Sierra wheel and I failed on a cover I had made above my Koso RX1n.

Am at work and no time to look up the IVA manual but he did show me at the time under what section that exclusion was not valid with no screen or possibly it was a reduced area, am struggling to recall.

Rich

Sloan85

posted on 20/2/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
It's common practice to use the standard Sierra steering wheel for IVA because the area of the dashboard within the diameter +150mm of the steering wheel, is exempt from testing.

That steering wheel looks way too small. Have you driven the car with it fitted yet? Do you have a quick rack fitted?

Phil

I didn't have a sierra wheel and the ones on eBay were more than this one. Also my column came modified for quick release from MK so sierra wheel wouldn't have fitted. Also i need as much leg space as possible. That was my reasoning behind the small wheel.

Car is a long way off being driven yet but was thinking about getting the quick rack at some point.

Cheers

iank

posted on 20/2/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with small wheels (especially if you also have a quick rack) is they need a huge amount of muscle power to turn at slow speeds.
Check the regulations for the quick release as IVA rules are quite strict regarding not being able to operate the mechanism when moving.

The center pad looks well executed though

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

loggyboy

posted on 20/2/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968

when I had my IVA it was with no windscreen or aeroscreen and he still measured edges on a my clocks behind the Sierra wheel and I failed on a cover I had made above my Koso RX1n.

Am at work and no time to look up the IVA manual but he did show me at the time under what section that exclusion was not valid with no screen or possibly it was a reduced area, am struggling to recall.

Rich

Ive heard this before, but cant find anything in the IVA to concur.

Mistral Motorsport

iank

posted on 20/2/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by rb968

Rich

Ive heard this before, but cant find anything in the IVA to concur.

Pretty sure it's Section 12 Annex 3
quote:
Where the front of the passenger compartment abuts the front scuttle /
bonnet panel and no windscreen is fitted) the interior / exterior boundary shall be 25mm towards the front from the abutment.

Which I interpret as meaning everything on the dash is treated as the "exterior" from the point of view of projections if there is no windscreen. Why that overrides Annex 1 (steering wheel exempt area) I don't know.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.