Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Where Can I get a Rollbar Extension Hoop?
Litemoth

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Where Can I get a Rollbar Extension Hoop?

I'm a lanky so and so...so need to add something to my rollbar to prevent nut-scrape should I go over.

Does anyone know of, where I can buy, have or can make me, a little extension loop (preferably the 90 degree version)?

The notching and welding isn't a problem.

I can bend and fabricate a bit of scaffolding tube but I hoped someone would know where I could get the real thing.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

rb968

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Give Tom a ring at http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/

I used him for my rollcage.

Rich

twybrow

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I too am a lanky bugger, and would be interested to hear how you get on. Is there any chance you can let me know (I can weld, but I can't notch!).
Slimy38

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I too am a lanky bugger, and would be interested to hear how you get on. Is there any chance you can let me know (I can weld, but I can't notch!).

I can see from your avatar picture that your head would be on the floor before the roll bar hit, so definitely a good call there. Although I have to admit the whole thread makes me think whether I should take this sort of thing into account at build time.

Litemoth

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rich. Tom the Bender looks just the job!

I gave him a ring but looks like he's clocked off for the day. Some of the standard bends he does will do the job well but I'll see if he can do the odd-legged 90 degree bend I have in the sketch above.

Top lead

Litemoth

posted on 12/4/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I can see from your avatar picture that your head would be on the floor before the roll bar hit, so definitely a good call there. Although I have to admit the whole thread makes me think whether I should take this sort of thing into account at build time.

Ideally you'd make the roll-over bar/s high enough to clear your head in the first place but over a certain height it all starts to look a bit odd. I think you're supposed to have 75mm head clearance too (FIA?) - to allow for the slop and give in your harness and carcass as you flail around during a barrel roll (God forbid). Is it aesthetics or safety that is more important?....exactly, aesthetics..

twybrow

posted on 12/4/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

I'll just leave my helmet off, then I should be fine!

It is something I need to sort - my seat is on runners, which I could remove and gain another 30mm or so, but even still, a bit of extra height is no bad thing.

welderman

posted on 12/4/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got some mild steel ones at work. Not cds. Can't remember sizes can measure Monday

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

clanger

posted on 13/4/13 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
this any good to you???

got a two bent the same time as this one. CDS. and for a Striker no less.

u2u me if you're intersted. In neath so not a million miles away....

minitici

posted on 13/4/13 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Although you see a few cars with roll hoop extensions, they are not legal for MSA competitions where a ROPS is mandatory.
You could probably get away with the extension if you were running the car in a 'road going' category where ROPS is only advised.

Litemoth

posted on 13/4/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Although you see a few cars with roll hoop extensions, they are not legal for MSA competitions where a ROPS is mandatory.
You could probably get away with the extension if you were running the car in a 'road going' category where ROPS is only advised.

Thanks for the heads-up but I won't (probably won't) be competing in it - I just wanted to convert the white-elephant of a roll over bar into something that may protect me a bit, should I run out of talent.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.