Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Advice on folding Patio "slash" Conservatory Doors
omega0684

posted on 22/5/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: Advice on folding Patio "slash" Conservatory Doors

Hi Locostbuilders,

I come with yet another challenge for you all with more of a brain storming feel to start off with.

My dad is looking at having a house extension put on the back and side of the house (an L-shape) along the rear he wants to have a set of large conservatory doors that fold out. Total length of 5 metres and 2.5 metres high with triple glazing windows that are argon filled (similar to the ones pictured below).

[img][/img]

He has an appointment set up with an architect to discuss ideas and costing etc but he wants to know whether it would be better to source the doors himself as he feels that they will be rather on the expensive side.

So, where to start, can anyone recommend any companies that build such type of doors or maybe you own a construction company that might be able to do the work/make the doors etc?

like i say, a brain storming session so that i can start doing some research, im sure that you guys have a wealth of knowledge compared to me

ATB

PintoBoy

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/5/13 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd start by asking the architect and any quoting builders for their recommendations. They usually know what works and what gives them grief after the job is finished. I'd imaging it's also preferable to build around the door rather than have to have a door made to suit the hole so to speak.

Several people have recommended Jeldwen doors to me recently as I've been looking at replacing our internal doors. No experience as yet though.

tompat3463

posted on 22/5/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think u would get one 2.5m high.. doors are around 2.1m

Im a builder buy the way and a good set of doors like that can cost £1000 per metre

cheers Alan

rbfury

posted on 22/5/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
We put in 5mt bi folding doors 5 years ago looking out onto the garden, took the budget for the extension over budget but worth every penny. I'm actualy sat here now with them fully open.

We used these people http://www.duration.co.uk/. They are Internet based but also have the manufacturing / sales office open to the public which I visited before ordering.

I bought the doors and our builders fitted them. Be prepared though as all dimensions of the opening in the wall for the frame are very exact - the tolerance between the two diagonal dimensions Of the frame is about +\- 2mm from memory

The architect calculated the size of the RSJ to go over the opening, bloody big one it turned out to be as well.

watsonpj

posted on 22/5/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
We also had some 3mtr ones done a couple of years back from altex-uk.com but they also fitted them. Using the builder meant that we actually got them cheaper as he got discount that we couldn't and we dealt direct with altex to pick them and also paid altex direct. So deffo get the builder to quote them but do a breakdown on cost.
One thing that needs to be considered when selecting these is what threshold type you want as this drives price,the flush with floor ones being more expensive so this is something to watch when trying to compare them.

Pete

coops222
Contributor

Posts 60
Registered 28/4/12
Location hull

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood sub k (built) lambretta mac175 (still b

posted on 22/5/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
hiya, I deal with upvc doors and conservatories and I recommend if you do go for bi-folding doors DONT get them in upvc... nothing but trouble with them.

go for timber and don't scrimp on the cost, you will regret it.

rgrs

posted on 22/5/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at vufold

they supplied my bi-folds in engineered oak at 4.8m, provided that there is an RSJ above they are great.

These doors hang their entire weight from the top track using the bottom only as a guide.

Very helpful company and they even have a sale now and again.

Roger

yellowcab

posted on 22/5/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
October last year we had a conservatory built, and were very picky about our doors.

We have a 6.4metre span, we opted for Aluminium powder coated white with 6 leaves @ 1.1metre per leaf.

Our doors are made by Origin (http://www.bifoldingdoors.co.uk) with their zero threshold, as we wanted our decking to be identical floor height from inside to outside...

Here is a few photos of ours...

In order to support the large pieces of glass above, again there was an aluminium RSJ installed to prevent any sagging of the weight, as above, these are top hung and only guided by the bottom runner, which makes them incredibly light, and the noise they make when they open is just sexual!

[Edited on 22/5/13 by yellowcab]

omega0684

posted on 22/5/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is one cracking conservatory!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
October last year we had a conservatory built, and were very picky about our doors.

We have a 6.4metre span, we opted for Aluminium powder coated white with 6 leaves @ 1.1metre per leaf.

Our doors are made by Origin (http://www.bifoldingdoors.co.uk) with their zero threshold, as we wanted our decking to be identical floor height from inside to outside...

Here is a few photos of ours...

In order to support the large pieces of glass above, again there was an aluminium RSJ installed to prevent any sagging of the weight, as above, these are top hung and only guided by the bottom runner, which makes them incredibly light, and the noise they make when they open is just sexual!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you heat/cool the conservatory and how does it perform?

We had a 3x5m one built a few years ago and went to some trouble to insulate the floor, full height side wall and dwarf walls. We spent out on decent glazing including the roof and fitted solar reflective film on the roof too.

It's a great space for 4-5 months of the year, but I seriously wish we'd laid out for a proper extension

yellowcab

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
So when we originally had it built, we opted for 200w electric underfloor heating... Yes 24sqm of it... Costly isn't the word.

We soon after had two double panel vented radiators installed when we had a combi boiler fitted, which heat its perfectly, we used it over the winter all day and all night, even when we had snow earlier this year.

We now never switch the floor on, and I'm sat in here now chilling on the sofa.

Our roof is that Pilkinton Activ-Glass Self Cleaning malarkey, which we wanted over a poly carb roof.

The 3/4 wall, and dwarf are both 100mm cavity, and insulated, along with the floor...

We do want some blinds/ curtains at some point to make it a little more cosy in the evenings, but we'll see

yellowcab

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I will say, before we decided to get the combi boiler, we were going to get a log burning stove, with the flue inside the room as an extra heat source, but decided against it as having the radiators saved us the £1000 pay out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.