Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: G1WH Dash Camera Q?
coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
G1WH Dash Camera Q?

Just got a G1WH dash cam off the bay after being attacked by a nugget in a rage last week. Still got no idea what he was raging about, he overtook me, swerved in front and jammed his brakes on giving me the universal 'hand' sign..

Anyway got one of these after reading about it on here..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-HD1080P-G1WH-2-7-034-LCD-Car-Dash-DVR-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor-HDMI-Novatak-CS-/221654696205?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 />
Can't seem to figure out how to save at the point of incident. Is it as simple as flicking it to activate the g sensor video lock?

Thanks,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

geoff shep

posted on 15/4/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
It will be one of the buttons that 'locks' the current loop - if you have it set to record in short loops. All it does is prevents that video file being overwritten when the card is full. If you stop at the scene of the accident the video you need will be the current, or latest, loop so the write-protection is only needed if you are likely to overwrite that video file later on. The g sensor should also do it but only if you exceed the preset g value.

Ah - found it. Mat gives good reviews of loads of cameras at his site techmoan.com and there is one on your camera. Also it is worth checking out his 'dash cam basics' video which covers most of the standard points about dash cams.

Try this: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/16/g1w-the-cheapest-dash-cam-thats-worth-buying.html - it's about the previous version but should be similar I would think.

From the manual it looks like it is the MODE button - press it while recording and that clip should be locked. Worth a try anyway.

[Edited on 15/4/15 by geoff shep]

loggyboy

posted on 15/4/15 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
with a decent size memory card you shouldnt need to lock anything.
Mine has a 32gb and gives many hours (if not days!) of footage., And thats dual camera so double the footage.

[Edited on 15-4-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

geoff shep

posted on 15/4/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
1080p works out at about 100Mb+ per minute, so yes, a 32Mb card should hold about 5 hours - ish. The lock function is useful if you see something you want to look at later but either forget to do it that day or have a lot more driving to do.

As I said before, if you have an incident the film will be available right then - I would like to lock it though just to make sure I didn't lose it inadvertently.

coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, yes its for my truck so about 8-9 hours driving.

Going to set the g sensor low and see if flicking it works

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 15/4/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just disconnect the power, that will stop it recording and preserve the last recording. I have that camera in my car, it's pretty good for the money.
coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate, will switching it off with the button on top save the last file?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

geoff shep

posted on 15/4/15 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Never seen a dashcam where turning it off saves the file. Did you look at any of the stuff I wrote above? It has a lock function built in.

coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Geoff, thing is theres no mention of a lock function on it!

Waiting for the sd card to arrive before I have a play with it

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

geoff shep

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
OK, soz. I found this online, although it is the G1W I suspect the controls are similar. There's a bit in the middle of page 9 that suggests that the mode button will lock the file.

https://dashcamtalk.com/cams/g1w/G1W%20User%20Manual.pdf

You might not be able to tell if you read the card directly on a computer but the file structure should be apparent if you plug the cam into the computer. Therein lies the snag - you have to remove the camera from the car to do that.

Some cameras just lock the files, some move them into a different folder.

Slimy38

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried a few things with mine when I first got it, it seemed very good in saving the files. There is a battery backup that means it finishes the task if it's powered off or disconnected. I think short of just pulling the card out it's pretty robust.

I've only got an 8 Gig card in mine, I think it does about 2 hours of video which is fine for me. It's chopped up into ten minute files, but there is an overlap between files which I like.

I also can't see any mention of a lock button. There is the g sensor lock, but 'mode' doesn't lock on mine. I've never actually got it to lock so might be worth checking as Geoff says.

[Edited on 15/4/15 by Slimy38]

geoff shep

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure whether it is possible to see whether the lock function (if there is one) has worked without trying it and then connecting up to a computer. On the previous model it suggested that a little key symbol would appear on the display when the appropriate button is pressed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.