Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Neck Braces / HANS Devices & Helmets
DapperRob

posted on 6/7/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Neck Braces / HANS Devices & Helmets

So conversation re short-back seats & cracking skulls on roll bars got me thinking about head & neck safety in general. I have a full screen at the moment so no need for helmet, but as and when I swap for the stumpy aeroscreen --> full face helmet --> extra 1-2kg of headweight --> epic whiplash --> no fun.

Aside from strapping on some head rests, or swapping seats for some high-back ones with integrated head restraints, what do you folks tend to do?

daniel mason

posted on 6/7/15 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't ever dream of running my force without my hans!
If for some reason I forgot to take it to an event,I'd more than likely turn around and drive home! But that's maybe the reason I'm not as fast as the elite runners in class.

jeffw

posted on 6/7/15 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
FHR (Frontal Head Restraints) will control the head/helmet in a frontal impact (upto 30 deg off centre) but will do little or nothing for side impacts. Seats will side wings which go either side of the helmet will control helmet movement side to side (just look at the padding the F1 drivers remove when they get out of the car).

If you want to control helmet movement in the event of an impact you need to do both FHR and Seat change, it isn't either/or.

DapperRob

posted on 6/7/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't mention I was meaning wrt driving in the road, but I guess just as applicable to track too.

R

750mc

posted on 16/7/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Dan - can't do without a HANS now on track. Not so sure on the road with a helmet as its another kilo on your shoulders but if if makes you feel safer then why not. Or a simple bit of foam?
daniel mason

posted on 16/7/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Everyone's different and it's a personal thing! In my class which is single seat race cars at the sprints and hills I'm the only one who wares a FHR in our series (carbon pro hans with fixed tethers) but as of next year this will change obviously. I feel comfortable in mine and although it's not perfect for side impact (although the fixed tethers do give some protection) it's Definately worthwhile in my opinion!
750mc

posted on 16/7/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
They're quite cheap now - certainly a lower end one if you don't mind putting up with the weight on your shoulders. I've never noticed it's there once you're strapped in but again, each to their own. They're mandatory on the circuits next year anyway so there will be plenty kicking about on the second hand market as folks drop in and out of racing so the prices will soon come down to the same as a decent pair of race boots or so. I say get one bought!
loggyboy

posted on 16/7/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
For road use - why not the old style collar braces?
Sparco Nomex Neck Support Racing / Rally / Karting Collar / Brace (001601)

Hans would be pain for day to day use not on track, and as mentioned, only of use in some directions of impact.

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 16/7/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
neck brakes simply give a rotation point for the helmet to move around which potentially cause basal neck fractures worse.

750mc

posted on 18/7/15 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. They're pretty much only useful for resting your head on for long karting stints when you're unfit!
Dopdog

posted on 19/7/15 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
for road use in my striker i used to wear davida goggles, on track thats another story

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.