Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aeroscreen, helmet or not??
40inches

posted on 1/9/15 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Not sure I understand what is going on here - OP asked for peoples opinions on helmet wearing and there seems to be abuse and intolerance of peoples simple point of views, with me its a helmet as I will have to save up until windscreen, sidescreens etc arrive sometime after IVA. My tin tops have had several stone chips and two windscreens in the last decade. I've been hit several times by stones, once by a bird (and that hurt) insects and even raindrops at speed, so I choose to wear a helmet and visor. If you don't want to then that's fine with me

I agree entirely!

gaz_gaz

posted on 1/9/15 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Helmet everytime.
I've had 3 screens this year in my Audi and the current one has a massive chip just above eye height. I wouldn't have fancied taking any of them on the forehead!!

Jeano

posted on 1/9/15 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I dont have a screen, i wear motorbike sun glasses which have a foam surround to stop the wind. I wear a hat all of the time as well.

I only drive countrylanes at current and stick far behind other cars so not to get hit by anything.

If i was to drive on the motorway i would put my helmet on however.

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

owelly

posted on 1/9/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yesterday, Asda had some full-faced, flip-up lids for £13! I wouldn't recommend one for bike use but ideal to keep bugs and pebbles out of your head.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
james h

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I like to go without on short trips, just with some sunglasses. By short, I mean 20-25 miles total.

Unless you are behind another car the only thing that can hit you are insects, which can sting. It is a trade off if you want a more 'visceral' experience.

Any longer than that I wear a helmet because:

a) I value my hearing
b) I look like Stirling Moss without the driving ability (see below)
c) I will likely as not spend some (more) time behind other cars and time exposed to dangerous stone chips etc. is extended.

I wonder how often drivers like Stirling coped back in the day? Were any hurt/killed due to stone chips/flies etc.? Surely they got it worse than us following slick shod cars so closely at high speed. Or was the drive to full face helmets due to crashes?

David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
The comments like "I've ridden a bike for years, never got hit in the face" misses a significant point - a biker's face is a lot further away from the road than that of a seven driver.

When I only had an aeroscreen I always used a full-face helmet, and my wife used an open-face helmet with a full-face visor. I think I got hit on the visor about 4 or 5 times - sometimes gravel, occasionally bumble bees. All made a hell of a bang and would have hurt me enough to potentially mess up my driving. There's also the lesser problem of sand and grit off the back of builders' lorries, which I used to encounter quite often (although goggles would have been enough for that).

I've now got a full windscreen, and I frequently get significant bug strikes on the screen at or around eye level...

[Edited on 1/9/15 by David Jenkins]

kj

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of crap blown up full face even visor up loads of stuff in the eyes. Bikes have a screen and head in downward position.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

DapperRob

posted on 1/9/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same dilemma as you recently so fully understand the pros and cons of each argument.

Safety glasses don't protect your hole face, and as I found out, an insect to the forehead at 60mph really hurts. Plus even cheap safety glasses won't stand up to a stone chip at speed --> look into ballistic safety goggles, there are loads out there made by ESS and the like.

Whilst I am inclined to wear a helmet, having an extra ~1.5kg on my neck is a fair weight. Especially as I've got low-back seats, I don't want to imagine the effect that whiplash would have. Even HANS devices only cover you for fore/aft movement, nothing lateral. Out of curiosity, has anyone here crashed with a helmet on?

JimSpencer

posted on 1/9/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DapperRob
Whilst I am inclined to wear a helmet, having an extra ~1.5kg on my neck is a fair weight. Especially as I've got low-back seats, I don't want to imagine the effect that whiplash would have. Even HANS devices only cover you for fore/aft movement, nothing lateral. Out of curiosity, has anyone here crashed with a helmet on?

Yes - as will have hundreds of other people in most bits of clubby motorsport..
And I'd certainly not have liked to even contemplate what it would have been like if I hadn't been wearing one..

Even on the road though in a tintop if, just as that 'Oh 5hit..' thought flashes across the brain - just before it's going to go horribly wrong- you could hit 'pause' stick a lid on a do up the belts a bit - you would, especially if you're used to wearing a lid and pukka harnesses

If that's your Striker I'd get headrests on the hoop diagonal and pad the hoop itself either way - lid or not - personally.
Low back seats with no headrests but with a roll hoop diagonal to hit are a poor combination? Plus the hoop itself - while helping to keep you alive if you end up sunny side down - will hurt your bonce without being padded in a normal bump.

I'll not comment on the 'No Screen, glasses or lid discussion' other than this - a friend of mine has no front teeth now-a-days..
But equally it's folks choice to make, so hope that thought helps make it an informed one.

foes

posted on 5/9/15 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well, thanks for all the input

Drove a good 50 mile today with the helmet back on (mixture of A/B roads), and I'm glad to say it didn't really dull the enjoyment/experience as much as I'd remembered. It made a a refreshing change to not worry about my glasses and/or hat flying off too.

Matt21

posted on 26/9/15 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I always wear my lid

mainly so people cant see the fear on my face when I'm out of control

I don't enjoy wearing it, so in towns I have the visor up to make me feel less trapped in.
Even then I get flies and stones in my face at least once a drive!

I have sometimes had an unexpected passenger and given them the helmet and me go without, its horrendous I must say.
The worst part is wind noise!

rain is like daggers too....

another point is... what if you were involved in a crash? side impact, your head is going to hit that vehicle pretty hard! a helmet can only help!

I've never ever had an issue with visibility out of a helmet either

Johneturbo

posted on 26/9/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just Dixon balastic safety glasses ear plugs and a beany hat for me, if I had to drive on a motorway i'd wear a lid as your behind more cars and the extra noise.

does make me laugh the people that wear lids need to justify it by how many windscreens they've gone through! maybe because your driving on motorways more often or driving to close to the cars in front!

[Edited on 26/9/15 by Johneturbo]

craig1410

posted on 26/9/15 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
As some others have mentioned, I'd worry more about loss of hearing than anything else so if you're going to go without a lid then at least wear ear plugs. The wind noise is really bad otherwise and leaves you feeling quite queasy at the end of anything more than a 5 minute low speed journey.

As for eye protection, I bought a pair of these: http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/2/anti-mist-safety-glasses
They are ballistic safety glasses with different, replaceable lenses and work either as spectacles or goggles with headband etc.

I bought a pair of Box helmets a while back and use them for longer journeys but it certainly does detach you a bit from the action which isn't ideal. That said, I have been hit on the 'helmet' by an acorn or something while driving beneath oak trees and it sounded like it might have been painful without the skid lid on.

Toys2

posted on 27/9/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a full screen on my Striker, though it's probably the narrowest screen of all sevens. Without side screens I struggle to breath over 60mph, I can't imagine what it's like with an aeroscreen. How much does the aeroscreen deflect the airflow over your head?

[Edited on 27/9/15 by Toys2]

SJ

posted on 27/9/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

How much does the aeroscreen deflect the airflow over your head?

Based on the experience of the one I had on my MK, not at all!

Matt21

posted on 27/9/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
yer, if anything mine directs the air directly at my face...
nero1701

posted on 27/9/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these

http://www.motolegends.com/helmets/harisson/harisson-corsair-helmet-matte-black.html

Its great, open face or with the mask, in and about town I wear it open, soon as i'm going to be doing any real miles i put the mouth piece and screen down.

Only thing I dislike though, when you get to 60-70 my head gets bounced around with the wind...with goggles and a hoodie..much more comfortable..

To be perfectly honest..i like the look of my helmet and I sometimes feel like a bit of a plum when waiting at lights and such because a lot of people look at the car. I suffer social anxiety so the helmet gives me something to hide behind

SJ

posted on 27/9/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

How much does the aero screen deflect the airflow over your head?

Based on the experience of the one I had on my MK, not at all!

In fact a full screen doesn't make much difference, and possibly makes things worse in terms of buffeting. It's only when you get some decent side screens as well that you get the benefit, and the difference then is huge. There is no way I would go back to anything other than a full screen and side screens now.

Toys2

posted on 27/9/15 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, thanks, I was thinking about making up some short side deflectors like you see on the Cobras

I had a Cobra kit a few years back, those small deflectors made a big difference but didn't make you feel enclosed

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried an "Air windscreen" as used on the Lotus 49, air was funneled into a narrow vent and was meant to work well at deflecting the air over the driver......did nothing for stones though!

[Edited on 27/9/15 by Toys2]

40inches

posted on 27/9/15 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Side and top deflectors make a big difference.
Description
Description

stevec33

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
When its cold i wear a helmet, when its warm i wear ess advancer goggles which are great, they keep your eyes totally free from the wind which i love as that bugs me with wearing a helmet or sunglasses
Shaggydoo

posted on 24/1/16 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I prefer to wear helmet for longer runs because it dulls noise and wind exposure which takes its toll on me after an hour or so. Mines now running aero but i did have a screen and still prefered the helmet as stones really hurt when hitting my head.
SteveWalker

posted on 24/1/16 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
I have a full screen on my Striker, though it's probably the narrowest screen of all sevens. Without side screens I struggle to breath over 60mph

Funnily enough, it was only when I took out a passenger that I found this problem. It turns out that in my car, the driver is fine, but the passenger can't breath - getting them to hold out their arms as if driving solves the problem I assume that it is the way the air comes around the edges of the windscreen. I usually keep the sidescreens on anyway, so no problem normally.

rm0rgan

posted on 24/1/16 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Side and top deflectors make a big difference.
Description
Description

I had the side ones on my old Tiger and they made a huge difference - never had the top ones

Sigs are uncool.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.