Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter tyres?
coozer

posted on 15/10/15 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Winter tyres?

All of a sudden my front tyres on dobbie have become what I feel is dangerous! They are not remoulds and have tons of tread left. They've been on about 6k miles.

Wheel spin out of corners in third, under steer into roundabouts and the worst thing is lock up and abs cycling braking in a straight line. This is all in the wet and I'm not looking forward to it getting cold and icy!! Its a disaster waiting to happen IMO..

So, winter tyres or all seasons?

Are the unbranded cheapo winter tyres any good??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 15/10/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using Avon Ice Touring they are by far the cheapest winter tyres from a big name western Euopean manufacturer/

Not too noisy either

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

owelly

posted on 15/10/15 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've sold dozens of Star Performer winter tyres and most folks have left them on all year!! They're cheap and good!! Work chum fitted the Star Performer tyres to his Golf and a set of Vredesteins to his wifes Seat. His Mrs commutes twice as many miles as him so they decided the extra expense was worth it. She's ordered a set of Star Performers for this winter.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 15/10/15 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I have been using Avon Ice Touring they are by far the cheapest winter tyres from a big name western Euopean manufacturer/

Not too noisy either

Brilliant for the price, don't last long in warm weather though

BigGeoff

posted on 15/10/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Avon ice touring and Cooper weathermasters are what our family use. Leave them on year round and get around 30k miles out of them. Wouldn't be without them in the winter. Drive all over Europe and only once in 10 years have I had to use chains rather than rely on the tyres.
ianhurley20

posted on 15/10/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
After some time in Bavaria where it is law that you have winter tyres on in er winter our whole family use them. The very cheapest nasty winter tyres are brilliant compared to summer tyre in the wet ice and snow. We as a family have a selection of tyres, Ice Tourings on one the Dunlop offering on another Nokian on another (probably the best and they are made north of the artic circle, wonder why that is?), and we have used others.

I would say get the best deal you can, mytyres.co.uk are good as a benchmark, if you can beat their prices you are doing well.

Oh and did I say - they are brilliant - 3 years ago I even towed a 4x4 up a hill with my Citroen C5 that was equipped with winters in snow!

T66

posted on 15/10/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just bought 4 Nokian weatherproof all season tyres for mine, they do away with tyre swapping and do snow & summer.

coozer

posted on 26/10/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well, just got a pair of Star Performers on this afternoon and relieved a bit now. Paid £37 each for them. Had to wait a few days as apparently there's huge demand and limited stocks!!

Was travelling along at 28 mph when the clown in front slams his anchors on to stop and pick someone up. I hauled the brakes on and the fronts locked, abs going nuts, very nearly rear ended him.

Hopefully now the things will grip and slow me down in the wet!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 26/10/15 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a case of premature ABS operation due to a wheel sensor signal or signals dropping out.

As an aside I am old enough when Star was infamous for the D42 crossply remould which was top of the pops for MOT failures due to sidewall bulges.

[Edited on 26/10/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.