Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where and how can I drive?
nick205

posted on 4/12/15 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Where and how can I drive?

As mentioned before, due to a head injury and now having epilepsy I'm unable to drive on the public highway until August 2016.

The hard part for me currently is not having sold my Passat I have to walk past it on the way to the bus stop every day. My question to the LCB collective is where and how can I get some driving time? I don't want to drive on the highway as the thought of having a fit and causing hurt, chaos etc is not bearable. I don't mind paying to have a passenger in the car, but the question is where can I do this and who would I contact?

Yours in frustration and eagerness

Nick

owelly

posted on 4/12/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess that any private land owner would be a good place to start. There's a couple of places up here that would let you use the track for a few quid so is there anywhere similar down where you are?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/12/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Would you be allowed to take 'driving lessons' with a qualified instructor and dual controls?

Aren't there some advanced motoring schools based on air fields as well? What about getting and old Land Rover And doing some private site days? Its good fun and a way to enjoy driving without going fast.

Edit, I've just realised the flaw with the off-roading idea in that you would still need to get it to and from site days.

[Edited on 4/12/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 4/12/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
a quick google search found this place in Aldershot
http://driveat15.com/OurOffRoadCircuit.htm

and accoding to this post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/7910738/Where-can-a-16-year-old-learn-to-drive.html

Goodwood and Mercedes at Brooklands may also do similar

nick205

posted on 4/12/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Gremlin - I'll take a look.

My parents have some land and have said I can drive their 4x4 (sorry for the bad language) on it, but somehow that doesn't seem to float my boat. Slow, muddy and you might hit a tree on a bad day

For some reason I miss just being able to drive. I should add that I've been guilty in the past of going for a drive just for fun, not to get anywhere!

jps

posted on 4/12/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
As mentioned before, due to a head injury and now having epilepsy I'm unable to drive on the public highway until August 2016.

The hard part for me currently is not having sold my Passat I have to walk past it on the way to the bus stop every day. My question to the LCB collective is where and how can I get some driving time? I don't want to drive on the highway as the thought of having a fit and causing hurt, chaos etc is not bearable. I don't mind paying to have a passenger in the car, but the question is where can I do this and who would I contact?

Yours in frustration and eagerness

Nick

It must be hugely frustrating - personally I've really enjoyed not HAVING to drive over the last year (I have a run/cycle-able commute and sometimes go a couple of weeks without driving at all), but do occasionally go out in the car just to have a tootle around...

Is it literally just getting to pilot a vehicle about that you're after? Or is it more that you like a bit of a whizz about?

If it's the skill/being in charge of the vehicle - off roading sounds sensible to me - maybe even some trials/autosolo stuff? (Not sure where competitive events stand on 'medical capability to drive' - but off-roading and trials are pretty low speed?

If it's a hoon about you're after - there's always go-karting I suppose? (maybe you can sign a disclaimer to say you're aware of the risks/etc...?)

EDIT: sorry, missed your post...

[Edited on 4/12/15 by jps]

nick205

posted on 4/12/15 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

In truth, like most people I like to go fast here and there so I suppose what I'm after is the ability to let rip somewhere relatively safe or with assistance.

The DVLA tell me it's standard practice for epilepsy sufferers to have to be fit free for 12 months before being allowed to drive in public. This seems reasonable, but then there's no need to take lessons or a test when they reissue you with a license. Not having driven for 12 months will introduce issues and to my mind there should be more to it than the DVLA's decision - but then I'm the one walking right now!

My psychologist is keen that I spend more time cycling to keep abreast of public roads etc. TBH, the worry of having a fit and falling off worries me as it seems prevalent with injury from hitting the tarmac and traffic issues. I've been cycling off road a good bit, but even that SWMBO wants me to do with other people in case of an accident. Difficult as I've cycled by myself all over the place for many years and never had to consider anything bad happening.

ETA....one other aspect is driving on the highway requires an amount of dexterity and skill. I've come to the conclusion a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to drive (or park). The issue seems to be once you've learnt how to pass the test you're then left to your own devices behind the wheel with no further checks - maybe a 5 year test would be appropriate (just thinking aloud here, but ready to be persuaded otherwise).

[Edited on 4/12/15 by nick205]

tegwin

posted on 4/12/15 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
If its a driving buzz your after why not go go-carting?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

pewe

posted on 4/12/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Most competitive events like Autosolos require you to have a current driving licence.
For much the same reasons any commercially organised event is likely to require a licence and/or a disclaimer that you suffer no impediment.
In the motorcycling world the old boys who lose their sense of balance take to riding combos (and before anyone says it I'm not quite there yet!).
Similarly in the cycling world there are proper racing trikes which may be worth considering...
As for the off-road bit try setting out a course and timing yourself and mates to give it a competitive edge.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.