Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who drove their 7 to work today?
mackei23b

posted on 14/3/16 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Who drove their 7 to work today?

In a moment of madness i though it would be a good idea to have the first drive to work this year in the 7....

Bit chilly and stuck in traffic....but doing a bit of data logging with the Megasquirt

Thought I'd have a nice drive home in the sun.....but I forgot I had a late meeting in the diary, so it may be hope in the dark

Cheers

Ian

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I went out for a few miles to bed in some new brake pads (that's my excuse). Coped all right with the temps, but was glad to get home as I hadn't put all my cold-weather gear on.

trextr7monkey

posted on 14/3/16 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
This doesn't really count but I have been using a TR7 for commuting and strangely I put the hood down this morning at 7,30 just a bit nippy!

Further cheat - I used the heater for my feet

[Edited on 14/3/16 by trextr7monkey]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Quinten

posted on 14/3/16 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, left home at 6:45 for a 40 mile commute. Arrived fresh (literally) at work and am now counting down the minutes till 4 so I can do the same again, but with less gear on

I'm wearing a ski/snowboard pants over my jeans, motorcycle gloves and a balaclava underneath my helmet (aeroscreened Westfield). Other than the knuckles getting cold, the rest remains reasonably comfortable.

sprintB+

posted on 15/3/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Used mine three days on the trot now, certainly wakes you up ! no hood, no heater, but the sidescreens do a sterling job. Did a 80 mile round trip to check the surf at Bude last evening. perfect, cold but perfect. Wooly hat is an essential, luckily I have a few. Roll on summer
prawnabie

posted on 15/3/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
'Ive gone in mine to work today (Wolvehampton) - looking a bit like rain at the mo though
BenB

posted on 15/3/16 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used mine yesterday. They're ripping the roof off my rented garage so it's got to be out of there for a few days. It was running like crap when I first got it out, I had to tweek the idle adjuster to get it to run without extra throttle application and it sounded terrible- was running on 3 (perhaps even 2) cylinders. Drove it down the road sounding like a lawnmower and the spark plugs suddenly sorted themselves out and it started running like Mr Honda intended. That's when it got quite interesting. Transpired the "new" idle setting was 6000rpm! Traffic lights were somewhat noisy, pulling away was enthusiastic, I ended up putting it into a high gear and braking just to try and reduce the rampant acceleration. Of course eventually I just pulled over and adjusted it. The spark plugs were just fouled after the Seafoam treatment, I've got some new ones on order....

Roads are a bit slippery aren't they! Had some squirreeeeeely moments when pulling out of junctions enthusiastically. I think four oscillations was my most extreme one. At least it got the tyres warm

SJ

posted on 15/3/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I went out briefly on Sunday. I'll be waiting for warmer weather before driving 75 miles to the office and back though!

Need to get my wipers fixed this month as MOT time is due and they have on a go slow and now stopped almost completely. Not sure of I need a new motor or if the wheelboxes and drive have got gummed up.

Luego.2.0

posted on 15/3/16 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Went out briefly on Sunday and booked in for track day at rockingham this Saturday

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

BenB

posted on 15/3/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone else get one significant dial fogging in these temperatures? It was only the fuel, oil pressure and water temp that were doing it. Perhaps I should switch on the side lights so the backlights go on to heat them up a bit???
nick205

posted on 15/3/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly two things stop me! 1. I don't have one right now and 2. I've got epilepsy so can't drive at the moment. Those minor irritations aside then yes I'd be taxed and insured and driving it to work and back. Slightly boring route, but being the quickest car around adds a little whoosh to it

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Does anyone else get one significant dial fogging in these temperatures? It was only the fuel, oil pressure and water temp that were doing it. Perhaps I should switch on the side lights so the backlights go on to heat them up a bit???

My speedo & rev counter fog up - very annoying. I was also wondering about leaving the side lights on to warm them up, with the car plugged into the low-current "maintenance charger" as usual, to save the battery.

BenB

posted on 15/3/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently Fogex (or whatever the Rain-X anti-fog stuff is called) can be useful but you have to get into the units to apply it.... They're not sealed units so no matter how much you manage to dry the inside the moisture will come back eventually. I might try leaving the backlights on though- I've got my dashboard on a seperate multi-plug so I can remove the entire thing easily. It wouldn't be complicated to back-probe the multi-plug and power up the backlights for a few days. Whether it would have any benefit is anyone's guess. I suppose plan B would be playing a hairdryer over the face to heat it up in the hop the moisture at least temporarily leaves the flipping thing.

Some forums suggest that bulbs are the problem- the inside of the dial gets hot when in use then when cooling sucks lots of cold moist air in. They recommend switching to LEDs....

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/16 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Some forums suggest that bulbs are the problem- the inside of the dial gets hot when in use then when cooling sucks lots of cold moist air in. They recommend switching to LEDs....

That makes a lot of sense...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.