Poll: Poll - Speed & Build [View Results]
As fast as it goes

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll - Speed & Build
johnemms

posted on 29/3/16 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Poll - Speed & Build

Bit of fun - On track or autobahn etc.. - How much do you trust your handy work/build/car

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

loggyboy

posted on 29/3/16 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not finished the kit, but my previous modified cars Ive trusted to the limiter in top (or aero) - around the 140 mark.

Mistral Motorsport

adithorp

posted on 29/3/16 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
If I didn't trust the build I wouldn't drive it. I've had 230kph on the speedo (matches satnav) more than once. I'd worry more about throwing it into a corner hard, rather than just going quick/straight, as there's a lot more things being stressed... if I was going to worry.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 29/3/16 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
With most if not all cars, including my MK Indy, I've taken them to as fast as they'll go. As Adi says I'd worry more about corners than straight line speed.

ETA...thinking back the Seat Leon Cupra TDI was the probably the quickest one and rock solid flat out. The brakes did fade a little under pressure though

ETA2...When I say the brakes faded so also did the clutch after I (rather smartly I thought) tried 2nd gear start pulling away from the lights. I furged it would pull away OK and I'd reduce the no. of gear changes during acceleration. In retrospect the smoke, smell and lack of swift start gave it away that I'd given the clutch a hard time

[Edited on 29/3/16 by nick205]

[Edited on 30/3/16 by nick205]

jeffw

posted on 29/3/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
158MPH on the GPS at Goodwood. A little bit faster at Spa (165MPH) but that is the rev limit in 6th.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/3/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I didn't trust my cars to go at full speed I wouldn't even take them out of the garage. Let alone sell them!

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hizzi

posted on 29/3/16 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
your meant to drive them? im just building it for fun after i have driven it a few times it will more than likely be sold for my next project.

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
There's times when I am a little concerned….

Description
Description

But you know what they say…

"No crack too big to investigate."

mark chandler

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hits the rev limiter at around 140mph

My only concern is the engine going bang.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/3/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not really interested in going fast. I just like acceleration, in any direction.

AntonUK

posted on 29/3/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive never been able to take a car above 120 before chickening out.. so at a guess the Ginetta will be the same once shakedown is complete.

Build Photos Here

craig1410

posted on 29/3/16 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
At 100MPH+ you're going to get badly hurt in any car if it goes wrong (well maybe not in a McLaren Honda F1 car...) so at least in a 'seven' you actually feel the speed more than in a tin-top.

I remember my very first drive of more than a few miles in my Locost was a 140 mile convoy with the local car club to the David Coulthard museum in Twynholm. Unfortunately my speedo magnet parted company with the propshaft within 5 miles so I don't know officially what speed we got up to. But rumour has it that it might have been around 95 (not sure whether that was MPH or KPH of course...) and I must admit I was very mindful that I had personally welded the chassis, suspension arms and steering column together! Since then I have seen several pictures of broken/bent wishbones or failed brackets so it's definitely something you need to be sure is properly designed and fabricated.

As others have said, I'm more likely to be concerned during hard cornering and braking than going fast in a straight line. I think it's important to do some stress tests in a safe environment (track, private road etc) to test for obvious weaknesses and then get an experienced MOT tester to check the car for signs of structural issues once a year plus of course your own checks more regularly. My car is such a simple car that my MOT tester, who is a good friend and fellow kit car builder, is able to spend more time than usual on checking the structure, suspension, steering etc as there is little else to worry about.

nick205

posted on 30/3/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
At 100MPH+ you're going to get badly hurt in any car if it goes wrong (well maybe not in a McLaren Honda F1 car...) so at least in a 'seven' you actually feel the speed more than in a tin-top.

I remember my very first drive of more than a few miles in my Locost was a 140 mile convoy with the local car club to the David Coulthard museum in Twynholm. Unfortunately my speedo magnet parted company with the propshaft within 5 miles so I don't know officially what speed we got up to. But rumour has it that it might have been around 95 (not sure whether that was MPH or KPH of course...) and I must admit I was very mindful that I had personally welded the chassis, suspension arms and steering column together! Since then I have seen several pictures of broken/bent wishbones or failed brackets so it's definitely something you need to be sure is properly designed and fabricated.

As others have said, I'm more likely to be concerned during hard cornering and braking than going fast in a straight line. I think it's important to do some stress tests in a safe environment (track, private road etc) to test for obvious weaknesses and then get an experienced MOT tester to check the car for signs of structural issues once a year plus of course your own checks more regularly. My car is such a simple car that my MOT tester, who is a good friend and fellow kit car builder, is able to spend more time than usual on checking the structure, suspension, steering etc as there is little else to worry about.

Getting hurt is true - there's not much driver protection in a 7 type car!

SJ

posted on 30/3/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I worry more at 70 on the M25 than as fast as it will go on a trackday.
froggy

posted on 30/3/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
My speedo only goes up to 120 but a chap in an ultima clocked me at 150 down the long straight at Bedford . New car has no roof or Windows so a head wobbling 120 is about as far as it will see

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

twybrow

posted on 30/3/16 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had the prop shafts come loose on the limiter in 6th on track. I lived and learned and have been faster since getting it sorted and adding a prop catcher!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/3/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
140mph in 5th (ran out of gears) with passenger. Felt OK

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

The Black Flash

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
158MPH on the GPS at Goodwood. A little bit faster at Spa (165MPH) but that is the rev limit in 6th.

Crikey!
I've only managed a paltry 115 so far, but wasn't at all worried. As others have said, if I wasn't confident in it, it'd be in the garage until I was.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.