Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tour of Scotland
stripe

posted on 14/7/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Tour of Scotland

Next month it looks like i'm headed up to Scotland in my striker for a week with my mate on his bike, at the moment we don't really have much of a plan.

Which roads would you suggest heading for, and where did you stay? Were starting from Birmingham and have a week to explore, were also tempted to get up to Scotland with out using the motorway...

jonabonospen

posted on 14/7/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Did a week long tour of Scotland a few years back on the bike. My advice is stick to the West coast as the East and North East coast are boring as hell. Get right up to the North West corner and take in some of the white sand beaches (they have a bit of a micro-climate up there coming in off the Atlantic). Also get some time on the Isle of Skye.

And call in at a place called Plockton, just off the Isle of Skye as its a lovely place to stay the night, or a few nights, and use as a base. There are 2 (from memory) pubs with nice B&B rooms and friendly folk, a handful of houses, a tiny tiny harbour, and some beautiful scenary. Also close from there is Bealach Na Bah (Applecross alpine pass) which is a must!! Check that one out on YouTube.

If you want some names or links to places we stayed then just let me know.

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
trextr7monkey

posted on 15/7/16 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search as this has cropped up before and had many very detailed and useful replies!

Here you go :
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=188199

Have a good trip!

[Edited on 15/7/16 by trextr7monkey]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

adithorp

posted on 15/7/16 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Worth looking g up the "north coast 500" route though I've been told it's so popular that accommodation is difficult not to find. Lots of other great roads.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MP3C

posted on 15/7/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
If you are traveling around the A7 then the road on this link would be good to travel. When I was visting one of our other estates in scotland I had to detour off the A7 as a lory had over turned, unfortunatly I was in my normal car when I was drving this road but I remember it to this day and would love to take the kit on it at some point as it would be absoutly amazing! If you put the little man on it to see it, then you should know what I mean.

Matt

Tazzzzman1

posted on 15/7/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
We have done the Scotland tour for the past few years with RHOCAR. This latest route was by far and away some of the best driving I have done in the UK in my Seven. The roads along the West coast are spectacular. The Northwest 500 is a must.
The road from Ullapool to Durness is wow... what ur cars were made for. Near perfect road surfaces, no traffic....and fun

Scotland route

Below give some ideas of timings/ mileage to allow for as looking on a map can be deceiving.

The daily mileage totals and google estimate of travel time are as follows

Day 1 - Home to Dumbarton 280mls 4hr 32min
Day 2 - Dumbarton to Skye 153mls 4hr 30min (plus ferry)
Day 3 - A loop around Skye 127mls 3hr 18min
Day 4 - Skye to Durness via Applecross and Ullapool 234mls 6hr 37min
Day 5 - Durness to Dunfirmline 321mls 8hr 5min
Day 6 - Home

The East side of Scotland is boring IMHO from a driving perspective. Good luck and enjoy

[Edited on 15/7/16 by Tazzzzman1]

[Edited on 15/7/16 by Tazzzzman1]

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/16 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's rains a lot here, you'll get very very wet
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 15/7/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tour of Scotland

If you do go,

don't mention the neverendum.

daviep

posted on 15/7/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
If you do go,

don't mention the neverendum.

Why is that?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Hodor

posted on 15/7/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I highly recommend this detour as you make your way north, bit of a tour of the Scottish Borders, lovely bit of the world and that road is special.

link

TheMash

posted on 23/7/16 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with above that West coast is definitely the way to go, you could come off at Gretna and either follow the coast road or cut through the Galloway Forrest. Head up to Greenock and jump on the ferry to Dunoon, then carry on with agenda listed above. Means you can miss out all the motorway.
I'm from Ayrshire on west coast and do that route regularly on the bike, only just bought my MK Indy so need to go a run up there myself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.