No Camo
Yes Camo

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To Camo or not to Camo, that is the question
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
To Camo or not to Camo, that is the question

Ok so here's my Landy, it's currently matt Khaki (fully painted unlike the pic) and I think the hood is sand...

Question is do I do it like the Volvo or leave it plain Khaki??? Hoods quite new so not too keen on attacking it with spray paint so may just leave that alone.

Landy's mine forever so not interested in resale issues etc

What do you think?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
olimarler

posted on 22/6/17 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Looks too good to camo!
nick205

posted on 22/6/17 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Prefer it as it is TBH.

Out of interest do you have to declare the camo paint job to the DVLA and insurer?

Being a bit of a sceptic I can see an insurer making it a reason not to pay out on a claim.

There's a Fiesta dumped near my house with a camo paint job. Looks to me as though it may have been stolen and dumped although I'd then expect an insurer (or owner) to want it moved.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/17 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
for the Volvo and the bluebird I left them as was on the log book (both silver) but on the insurance I declared them as no-standard colours which did not change the cost or lead to further questions.

For vinyl wraps you do not have to change the log book colour so I don't bother. I've been pulled over a few times by the police for stop checks and they've never commented it being different on their records.

The only real reason for spraying the cars camo was by the time I'd fixed all the trolley dings they both needed a full re-spray so was just cheaper to do something different

[Edited on 22/6/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 22/6/17 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd keep the paint as is... and convert to diesel :p
trextr7monkey

posted on 22/6/17 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Well I will go against the trend - I reckon a proper zebra job would look uber cool.

I am old enough to remember Daktari on the TV when I was a kid and they had some very cool zebra looking landrovers, before running out and grabbing the spray cans bear in mind the following mitigating circumstances:

1 ) it was a black and white TV so a rainbow job would have looked pretty poor whereas the zebra was a gift from Logie Baird himself.

2) They were cruising around in the bush chasing elephants, okapi and other troublesome animals (rather than down town Aberdeen) surrounded by real zebras and with a talking monkey riding shot gun- maybe the last bit was Tarzan, memory is getting a bit blurry now.

3) I have thought of changing the Ninja jeep to this scheme myself but my son cautions against it

4) You know you want to and what people on here think isn't really going to stop you .........

please post finished pics
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nick205

posted on 22/6/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'd keep the paint as is... and convert to diesel :p

That's more like it - leave the paint alone and slap a diesel motor in.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/6/17 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC in Mexico camo paint is not legal...
I have had thoughts about since my youth when I had a 1953 Willis.
So I selected Camo...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

ReMan

posted on 22/6/17 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Def no camp
Looks more special as it is, unlike the Volvo

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ken555

posted on 22/6/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote

ianhurley20

posted on 22/6/17 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
My friend has a lightweight camo - er - keep yours as it is ;-)

gremlin1234

posted on 22/6/17 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555

is that a cameo appearance ;-)

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/17 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm ok I've been swayed not to touch it

As for a diesel...a very big yuck! The petrol is smooth quiet and suits the car perfectly, hopefully converting it to efi will make it even better

Thanks for the comments and votes

gremlin1234

posted on 22/6/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The petrol is smooth quiet and suits the car perfectly, hopefully converting it to efi will make it even better
remember to keep the old 'carb' setup peices in a tupperware box under the bench for if you want to swap back

HowardB

posted on 22/6/17 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
The petrol is smooth quiet and suits the car perfectly, hopefully converting it to efi will make it even better
remember to keep the old 'carb' setup peices in a tupperware box under the bench for if you want to swap back

Real Land Rover owners keep spares of spares, just in case

I like the twisted, but I like yours in it's single colour, I did mine bronze green and quite like it

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

02GF74

posted on 22/6/17 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
My friend has a lightweight camo - er - keep yours as it is ;-)

Im not your friend ...... err, maybe you mean someone else.

I painted my lwt in mod camo so am biased. I may have the mod guidelines how to apply the black areas that could send to you , from memory it needs to be 1/3 black and done so it breaks up the outline.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/6/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's a 109 (SII) ex-military, 1967 vintage, retaining it's olive drab single colour. Externally, there's no bling, looks as it did when it left Northern Ireland (internally there's a Japanese diesel....).

I'd keep it single colour (and loose those wheels).

Irony

posted on 23/6/17 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am curious to why people suggest a diesel conversion? Diesels are better at wading but he doesn't mention water fording in the original post. Please don't say economy........... It would take along time to get the money back from the conversion and then your left with diesel.
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am curious to why people suggest a diesel conversion? Diesels are better at wading but he doesn't mention water fording in the original post. Please don't say economy........... It would take along time to get the money back from the conversion and then your left with diesel.

Well landy’s over the years have had various crazes of engine swaps on the go depending on fuel prices and available better engines. The original diesel fitted to series and early 90’s was just awful unless you were farmer Joe picking up some sheep in a field. Very very slow, unreliable and noisy. Then the later tdi’s came out with much more power and better mpg and it’s really a very easy swap, often simplified by leaving the turbo off and that helps since the series models running gear is a bit weak especially the gearbox and isn’t really up to tdi torque.

I mind everyone shoving in V8’s on LPG then the tdi’s which could be picked up for a few hundred out of all the rotten disco’s and defenders.

Every time I mention landy’s people immediately go fit a tdi! Tdi! But to be honest I tried them and was totally unimpressed. I have always had petrol landy’s so found diesels horridly noisy and inflexible. The petrol on the other hand has a lovely roar rather than a ghastly rattle and is super smooth. Hood off, going down the road the engine can barely be heard at all, much more civilised

As for fording, the petrol is just fine and I’ve crossed rivers in the past where the water got up to the side windows and the front underwater with no issues, that on a standard engine bay aircleaner to. Never bothered to slacken the fan belt, never seen the point since I can hose down a running engine without it missing a beat.

Oh and for those who have one, I sorted the old series heater for about £15 to the point where it now burns your hand at the vents silly design flaw… did the same on a Spitfire and that too is now sorted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.