Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis flex undar hard braking
sebastiaan

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis flex undar hard braking

Guys,

Has anyone else then me noticed the amount of flex in the rear mount of the upper wishbones on the front of the car?
(err, nice sentance...)

It seems to decrease the caster angle by as much as 3 degrees on my car, which in turn *could* affect braking stability.

I was thinking of stiffening up that part of the chassis by connecting the left and right mount together (if there is place to do so). Any opinions on this?

Cheers,
Sebastiaan

Hellfire

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Could you tell us how you noticed? It's not a typical observation me thinks...

bob

posted on 16/1/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have you put your top wishbones on the correct side ?

mdc124

posted on 16/1/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
i have noticed this

I've been doing short post service pre mot runs in mine recently without my helmet on and i noticed what I thought was visible flexing on the front right lower. (couldn't see the front left )

Should I be worried?

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cymtriks

posted on 16/1/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
flexing

The lower wishbones are very highly stressed and may well flex either on the bushes or on the tubes with heavier engines or under heavy braking. The only real solution to this (if this is the problem) is to redesign the wisbone so that the tubes point at the lower ball to form a V as on a Caterham.

The upper wishbones are less highly loaded, about half as much, but may still flex on their bushes.

Bush flex and castor changes under braking is normal on road cars. Autocar quoted 2.9 degrees change for an NSX and 3.6 for a 928s.

Northy

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the wishbones or chassis flexing?
If its the chassis you could fit braces a bit like a strut brace in a tin top?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
@hellfire:

You can notice the flex by looking at the cycle wing. Under braking, the cycle wing rotates to the front, indicating a reasonable amount of flex, which i believe is in the chassis.

@cymtriks:
The upper wishbones on an MK aren't mounted to the top chassis rails, making the entire assembly less rigid as it could be. (btw, my bones are mounted correctly)

It would definitely be possible to stengthen things up a little, but i'm not sure if this would aid either:

1) stability under braking
2) turn in

What do you guys think? If these two don't improve, i think i'll just leave it as it is and not worry about it.

I don't think this is a major issue, as it's just a couple of degrees. More just something i noticed.

mdc124

posted on 16/1/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
@hellfire:

You can notice the flex by looking at the cycle wing. Under braking, the cycle wing rotates to the front, indicating a reasonable amount of flex, which i believe is in the chassis.

this is what i've noticed - i assume its nothing to worry about ?????????

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

progers

posted on 20/1/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Flexy top wishbones

Yep its definitely true that the top front wishbones flex under hard braking. Basically its down to the "bent tube" design which is not as strong as a normal "standard triangular" design.

I believe MK know about this but have not deemed it necessary to change them.

Me, I bought replacement top wishbones from GTS tuning - very nice they are too becuase they include screw camber adjustment.

Cheers

Paul

zetec

posted on 20/1/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Progers. The MK wishbones must flex a lot on the car, give them a tug by hand and they move., the GTS ones are rock solid.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

sebastiaan

posted on 20/1/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ah.. Hadn't thought of the actual wishbones flexing yet. I just assumed that it was the chassis.

Zetec, did you notice any difference between the GTS and the MK wishbones with regards to this item? I might be tempted....

Cheers,
Sebastiaan

zetec

posted on 20/1/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
The GTS w/bones are oval tube and are two arms welded to aa tube to take the balljoint thread. Not only are the arms more rigid due to their shape but the joint with the balljoint tube is far longer and hence rigid. I could flex the MK bones by hand, no way with the GTS item. I think their is a pic in my photo archive. The camber adjustment design is also far better than having to turn the balljoint as in the MK design.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.