Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 Haynes Roadster ball joints.
tom225

posted on 13/1/19 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 Haynes Roadster ball joints.

Hi guys.

Hoping some one may he able to help.

Currently planning out an MX5 based Haynes Roadster

My donor will probably be a mk2 MX5 and wondering if some one could help.

On the hunt for the correct ball joints to use for the front upper wishbones.

I know its a BMW 5 series one for use with Mk1 MX5 uprights but dont think these fit the mk2.

I know the MK Indy RX-5 uses a mk2 donor and these are the ball joints they list.

http://www.mksportscars.com/mk-indy-rx-5-top-ball-joint-drag-link.html?SID=mjsn0s8o3127r0hkl6re9r0dt0

But dont fancy paying them £40 a pair when they are probably only a tenner down the local motor factors.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

Charlie C

posted on 14/1/19 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
As far as i can tell is the Mk1/Mk2/Mk2.5 front upper wish bones are differant in construction but the ball joint is the same.

The Saturn Sports Cars haynes roadster MX5 doner plans list 3 series BMW insert Motaquip part number – PVTR325

tom225

posted on 14/1/19 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
As far as i can tell is the Mk1/Mk2/Mk2.5 front upper wish bones are differant in construction but the ball joint is the same.

The Saturn Sports Cars haynes roadster MX5 doner plans list 3 series BMW insert Motaquip part number – PVTR325

CHEERS!! Wasnt 100% sure

PorkChop

posted on 14/1/19 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
The ball joint is not the same between the mark 1 and 2. The tapered fitting on the mk 2 upright is significantly thicker. The OEM MX-5 wishbones are not the same either and aren't swappable without changing the upright.
Charlie C

posted on 15/1/19 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected, you learn something new every day.
Slimy38

posted on 15/1/19 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
The ball joint is not the same between the mark 1 and 2. The tapered fitting on the mk 2 upright is significantly thicker. The OEM MX-5 wishbones are not the same either and aren't swappable without changing the upright.

I was aware of the fitting being thicker, but I thought that just meant the ball joint protruded through a bit further? You still use the same BMW balljoint?

PorkChop

posted on 15/1/19 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
No, it's the other way around, the BMW TRE is too short.
Replicar328

posted on 17/11/20 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to be sure the http://www.mksportscars.com/mk-indy-rx-5-top-ball-joint-drag-link.html?SID=mjsn0s8o3127r0hkl6re9r0dt0 ball joints were a correct fit for the MX5 uprights so I checked before ordering and have just received the two I ordered. They are not exactly the same which I found disappointing as they are indeed rather expensive. I'd post a picture if I could figure out how!

One was in a sealed bag with the Ridex part number 914T0184 on it.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8221506 at £4.17 seems a reasonable price, but they are shown as out of stock and I didn't check the postage. Worth searching elsewhere.

Am I allowed to say, I think MK's margin seems excessive, especially as they can't be bothered to inspect the parts shipped?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.