Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom driveshafts, where to have them made
MarcV

posted on 24/10/23 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Custom driveshafts, where to have them made

Hi All,

For my project I have a transaxle with flanges for a large diameter tripod joint (Bolt BCD 114mm). The joints I can find to fit require 33 spline shafts. The shafts I have to fit the wheels are 28 spline. My shaft lengths are ok.

So ideally I would want tripod spiders for 28 spline shaft, fitting the large cup. Any idea where I could find that?

Alternatively I will search for flanges to fit to CV joints, which are readily available at 28 spline.

If all that fails, custom shafts would be the way, 33 spline on transaxle side, 28 spline on wheel side. Any good shops out there?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/10/23 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
For the race cars, past and present I've found Brand Engineering shafts able to survive considerable abuse. They're able to machine any spline pattern you like on either end. Lovely shafts, light and strong.

Bailey Morris made the propshaft for the Westfield and the one for my Land Rover. The Westfield was sold a while back (so unsure of the longevity) but the Land Rover shaft is still going strong.

Theshed

posted on 25/10/23 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I am saving up for a set of these..... I hear that they do a very good job using very high quality alloy.

https://berrisford.co.uk/product/custom-made-driveshaft-any-spline-any-length/

MikeR

posted on 25/10/23 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Berrisford shafts are used by the autograss crowd. They take a LOT of abuse from very powerful engines. They are expensive and still sell for a reason.

Many years ago I talked to Dave Mac in Coventry, he'd friction weld drive shafts together to make hybrids. May be worth asking if he'll still do it and how much torque they'll take.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.