Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pop on stop!
David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Pop on stop!

My car's running well, and generally everything's OK. Runs at the proper temperature, doesn't 'pink', accelerates well.

The only problem I've noted is that I get a significant 'pop' or 'fut' from the exhaust when I turn off the ignition after a run.

Is this significant? Should I worry? Does it indicate some lack of adjustment that I could fix?

cheers,

David

P.S. I plan to take the car to a rolling road in the not-too-distant future, but in the meantime I'd rather not mess up the engine!

locoboy

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
is there a leak in the exhaust anywhere?

My car used to give an occasional 'guff', i fixed a slightly blowing downpipe joint and it didnt do it afterwards.

ATB
Locoboy

white130d

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
You're rich

Well, maybe not you personally, but the car is running a little rich leaving residual unburnt fuel in the exhaust that Ignites/pops when it gets hot from sitting iin the pipe. Bare in mind this is only my opinion...

It the exit of the tailpipe black and moist?

D.

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

DarrenW

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Me fathers xflow Mk has a pop when you turn off engine. Pop maybe slight understatement! Its a bang in my book. Its known to be jetted wrong and running rich. He too is waiting for rolling road.
It doesnt do it every time, 1660 cammed up xflow with twin 40's.

Tailpipe is black and moist (ooeerrrr missus) and even wheel arch is sooty.
does this help?

David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Those symptoms all sound familiar... looks like a visit to the rolling road should be sooner, rather than later!

thanks,

David

DarrenW

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Am, i right that running rich is better than running lean when you first get them running and havent had chance to go to rolling road??

I was told that running lean can put a hole in the piston whereas running rich just covers everything in soot / oily grime.

JAG

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

you're dead right - rich is way better than lean.

If the engine is running lean then more Oxygen is burnt (from the air that's drawn in) and this raises the combustion temperature and the extra heat CAN melt pistons.

ECU managed engines have a default Lambda setting (normally 1.05) that ensures the engine always runs slightly rich if/when the lambda sensor fails.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I must do is get a plug out to check the colour - trouble is, I have a bad track record for breaking the insulation on these plugs when I take them out

David

rusty nuts

posted on 21/4/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Running slightly rich may be better than a weak mixture but too rich will cause " bore wash" . This will cause any oil on the bores and pistons to be washed off causing metal to metal contact . NOT GOOD , can also dilute oil causing crank/cam wear etc Book the rolling road session HTH Rusty
jonbeedle

posted on 21/4/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely running rich. I had a ZZR1100 that did the same thing. It was easily fixed.
Cheers
Jon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The bore wash thing is a significant risk, and crossflows are more prone than most especially with twin carbs. All too easy to run your big ends!!
Keep checking oil. If it smells of petrol, change it. If your oil level goes up, change it.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 21/4/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
When I still have the DGV on it, my Crossflow used to do this.

It was a case of

1. Park Up
  2. Turn Engine Off
  3. Count to 3
  4. Start laughing as a *huge* bang scared the living cr@p out of anyone within half a mile

BTW it did it because it was running way too rich

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My car's running well, and generally everything's OK. Runs at the proper temperature, doesn't 'pink', accelerates well.

The only problem I've noted is that I get a significant 'pop' or 'fut' from the exhaust when I turn off the ignition after a run.

Is this significant? Should I worry? Does it indicate some lack of adjustment that I could fix?

cheers,

David

P.S. I plan to take the car to a rolling road in the not-too-distant future, but in the meantime I'd rather not mess up the engine!

[Edited on 21/4/05 by stevebubs]

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/05 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ignition related -- switching off the ignition is causing a spurious HT spark what kind of ignition set up are you running ?
David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/05 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ign system = Bosch Valencia dizzy.

Plugs are showing the correct colour (biscuit), so the running mix is not far wrong. My suspicion is that my idle mixture is too rich, but I'll check that on the weekend with my colourtune.

DJ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.