Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet advice
Humbug

posted on 24/10/05 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Helmet advice

oo-er, missus!

Got my car SVAd last week so I've been out in it quite a lot recently. I have a Mac#1 wind deflector screen which is OK but I definitely need the goggles and I have a flying helmet thingy as well. However, even on shortish (20-30 miles) journeys it gets a bit breezy and I also find that my earholes get buffeted. So:

1. should I get a helmet, more for comfort than safety in this case?

2. if so, full face with visor, or an open one to wear with the goggles, e.g. this one: http://www.whitedogbikes.com/popup.cfm?p_n=261905&p_i=261905 (has a peak too!)

3. what about safety markings in case I actually want to do a track day or something? are there any specific standards that are needed for cars that are not the same as for motorbikes?

4. any recommendations on specific helmets at a locost-ish price?
Thanks

[Edited on 24.10.2005 by Humbug]

G.Man

posted on 24/10/05 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Anything by shoei or arai

Shoei is cheaper, but try both and see which is more comfortable...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

shortie

posted on 24/10/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have just bought one of these.

Nice, reasonably priced and meets the MSA regulations for next year as it's Type A/FR approved (Nomex lined).

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SPA331L

Rich.

Messenjah

posted on 24/10/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
shark helmets on half price sale in bike- stop in stevenage they have an online shop

http://www.bikestop.co.uk/shop.php?pg=1&mfilt=149&msort=&mlimit=10&mkey=Category

shortie

posted on 24/10/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, that's great if you just want a helmet but they are not Type A/FR approved.
dhollin3

posted on 24/10/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you are doing track days then you won't need full MSA appoved helmet...do you? Its only if you are going racing.

Get a motorbike helmet that is already sprayed as they look good. There is no need to spend more than £200 from my experience.

But i must admit Shoe and Aria are the best.

Piss pots i.e open face don't look the best. Get a full face with a tinted visor. Well, that what i would get anyway as they are safer and look better

Surrey Dave

posted on 24/10/05 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I just got one of these:

http://www.bikestop.co.uk/detail.php?id=1196

(£49.99) from 'Dobles ,Coulsdon' , it has the ACU gold sticker for m'cycle track days, or if know your size there a lot of good bargain new helmets on ebay,from £34 upwards

Peteff

posted on 24/10/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Try them on whatever you do.

I tried two helmets from the same manufacturer in different colours and the same size, one fitted perfectly and the other was loose. They should push your cheeks in when new, they will ease off as they wear and bed in. It's probably not so critical in a car but on a bike they will lift and try to pull your head off.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scutter

posted on 24/10/05 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I brought a Shark helmet mainly on colour, but i can fault it, cost about £80 made the journey to the SVA centre bearable

What do you think?

matching helmet
matching helmet

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 24/10/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice match with your paintwork, Dan
_Aero_

posted on 24/10/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Spend a bit on getting something lightweight. As you are strapped in tight, the head and neck take a right pummelling especially on a trackday (No special helmet regulations need apply unless racing) In the unlikely event you have an accident it may also save your neck being broken due to increase in momentum of a heavier helmet. Choose wisely and as stated - try them on. A tight fit is best as on motorbikes so's to minimise slip...
Dave J

posted on 24/10/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used both open face (with a drop down visor) and full face. My car hasn't got a screen, only a deflector. I've used full face on a motorbike and one of the problems with these is communication. It helps if you can hear and speak to the navigator

I guess it has to be a comfort thing. So is anybody out there using an open face helmet either with goggles or a visor? does it get seriously uncomfortable at speed? pros and cons anybody?

Cheers,

Dave.

shortie

posted on 24/10/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have used both, without a screen you should really use full face (in case anything makes a beeline for your head such as a stone or something)

I know what you mean about the comms problem so I bought an OMP intercom system for about £40 and fitted it into two helmets (mine and a spare I have) so that I can communicate on trackdays.

Heving said all that in the summer I don't wear a helmet generally when on the road, just a pair of decent goggles.

Rich.

Marcus

posted on 24/10/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
For ear protection, I use bright yellow ear defenders! Look a complete twat, but saves the buffeting and consequential hearing loss!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave J

posted on 25/10/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

Shortie, where did you purchase your comm setup?

I know some units change over by voice activation, however with the racket created by wind noise etc, would this work?, or would you advocate a switch/push button approach?
Do any helmets come prepared for this kind of accessory?

Cheers,

Dave.

Benzine

posted on 25/10/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
There's one on ebay at the moment:

OMP Intercom

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.