Board logo

Oil catcher is it worth it ?
dellyend1 - 6/9/23 at 07:34 PM

Hello all, I have a 1.6 n/a Toyota engine from 1989 in my car and as bought it us the rocker cover breather pipe plumbed into an independent oil catcher. Now I know that recirculating the vented gas/ moisture / oil from the rocker breather back into the manifold is not a good idea but is it better / compliant with UK regs to just use a rocker breather filter to air the cover gases rather than feed into the oil catcher. It’s a little bit of a faff to empty the catcher etc

Thanks in advance

[Edited on 6/9/23 by dellyend1]

adithorp - 7/9/23 at 09:30 AM

Just a breather/filter open to atmosphere tends to be messy. A good proportion of the oil you currently have to drain from the catch tank, will be deposited around the engine/bay from the filter.

coyoteboy - 7/9/23 at 09:52 AM

Can't speak for your engine, but I put a baffled, metal foil filled catch can on a 3SGTE PCV output, and the only time it caught any significant amount of oil was when I blew a ringland. The rest of the time it gathered about 5ml per oil change. I concluded I did not give two hoots about this little oil and routed it back to the intake. Don't go vent-to-atmosphere though, this is a performance degradation as you won't be applying a vacuum to the crankcase so you'll have increased windage losses and higher pumping losses. PCV is another good thing that well meaning folk remove thinking that it's emissions evil.

[Edited on 7/9/2023 by coyoteboy]