Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wiper wheel boxes
bob

posted on 5/10/04 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
wiper wheel boxes

wiper wheel boxes

Most scuttles and screens are roughly the same size,i thought i would convert my own wiper mechanism so as to fit.

So

What the magic numbers ? any fear someone with wipers can tell me the distance they have between wheel boxes ?

bob

posted on 5/10/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
plenty views but no comments

The wiper mechanism i am using has wheel boxes 450mm apart,this is in my opinion too far and i am thinking that 300mm is more correct for a regular 7 windscreen.

I just wanted to see what others have come up with before i start chopping the mechanics of the unit.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/10/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not having a screen so no practical help, but had you thought about using 3 wipers to improve sweep and reduce loading?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bob

posted on 6/10/04 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen the 3 wiper system om e-type jags and also AK sportscars have fitted 3 wipers to their cobra version.

Then again i've also seen them on scania trucks

I think i'll stick to two and go for the wheel boxes 300mm apart

Rob Lane

posted on 7/10/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I spent a while on this one when I did mine. I used a Mini wiper system cut down.

There are various motor main gearboxes with different sweep angles.

First thing to do is check the angle of sweep relating to your wiper overall size and clear area on screen.

i.e. say 8 inch wipers, finishing vertical at drivers side of screen. Do they then sweep below windscreen level?

Then you need to set distance between the spindles for non overlap. Not as simple as sometimes appears, as a good sweep on drivers side may mean that passenger wiper on return sweep overlaps your vision

I finally cut my tubes down to give a good pattern and reflared the ends using a brake pipe flare tool, using largest setting.

bob

posted on 7/10/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that rob

I'm sure you told me all this before,getting older and my memory is getting worst

I've got a mini wiper motor and boxes,i am though going to be a bit daring and have a go at a cut n shut job with a brand new 2 speed motor and mechanism i aquired.The wheel boxes are 450mm apart at the moment like mini ones are before you give it the chop,fiat panda i was told but motor is ac delco made in england so i'm not so sure.(be nice to know exacly what its off so i can get a pukka plug for it)

zetec

posted on 7/10/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
My mini wiper motor and rack is bog standard apart from the wheel boxes are now 290mm apart. The near side wheel box is 180mm from the centre line, the off side is 110mm from the centre line. The wipers park on the nearside.
bob

posted on 12/10/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks kevin

I have a mini wiper system knocking about,so if all fails i'll use that.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.