Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Retrofitting Roll Cage
WallerZero

posted on 16/12/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Retrofitting Roll Cage

Hi all,

With planned winter upgrades hiking the power, I am looking into getting a roll cage retro fitted to my GBS Zero. Custom Cages have already been struck from the list due to various poor reviews and what not.

Caged in Frome have been recommended and as they do a lot for Caterham, a good shout as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other places around the midlands to enquire with? Also, for anyone with experience, what should I be expecting to pay for this? Obviously you can't put a price on safety but it is a factor to consider.

Cheers,

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

femster87

posted on 16/12/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use GBS's Cage?
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 16/12/15 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallerZero
Hi all,

With planned winter upgrades hiking the power, I am looking into getting a roll cage retro fitted to my GBS Zero. Custom Cages have already been struck from the list due to various poor reviews and what not.

Caged in Frome have been recommended and as they do a lot for Caterham, a good shout as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other places around the midlands to enquire with? Also, for anyone with experience, what should I be expecting to pay for this? Obviously you can't put a price on safety but it is a factor to consider.

Cheers,

Custom Cages are currently supplying cages to all the racing car teams that matter and are in the list of MSA approved suppliers. There is a one man vendetta going on against Customs so dont be put off. He is publishing photos of some shitty welded tubes and saying that Custom put them together. I would add that I have never bought a cage or am likely to do so. So dont write them off...

WallerZero

posted on 16/12/15 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
GBS are also an option I'm considering.

I've seen a few things about custom cages and feel they seem to focus on the bigger customers or race teams. Having not seen a Zero there I reckon they'll want a fair bit for development work too potentially. However as said, cost is a factor and whilst planning to do this whilst the car is off the road, transportation will also come into play so open to things if anyone has some positive feedback.

Last thing I want is to end up arguing over quality, especially if I'm expecting to hit the £1000 mark for a fully fitted cage plus transport etc.

Rosco86

posted on 16/12/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
give http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/ a try, hes not far from you either

My Build Thread

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/12/15 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
give http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/ a try, hes not far from you either

Tom the Tube Bender did the hoops for my single seater. Very happy with the service.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 16/12/15 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard good things about caged myself.

Are you thinking bolt in or weld in?

My preference would be weld in for strength, but that would mean a lot of strip down to achieve well.

CosKev3

posted on 16/12/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
MK's cage is one of the nicest looking ones available IMO,and they will do custom fits as they had a Mac1 in the workshop having one fitted when I was there one day.
Spud1985

posted on 16/12/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
SA Motorsport / SA Fabrications installed a custom full cage for my Mac1 earlier in the year, top bloke and great service.

They're in Hinckley, LE10

theduck

posted on 16/12/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
quote:
Hi all,

Cheers,

Custom Cages are currently supplying cages to all the racing car teams that matter and are in the list of MSA approved suppliers. There is a one man vendetta going on against Customs so dont be put off. He is publishing photos of some shitty welded tubes and saying that Custom put them together. I would add that I have never bought a cage or am likely to do so. So dont write them off...

There is far more negative comments about custom then just the guy posting pictures of the welds. Lots of people complaining about poor service.

TimC

posted on 16/12/15 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Procomp in Birmingham.

nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Procomp in Birmingham.

Again, heard good things about Procomp!

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/12/15 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
MK's cage is one of the nicest looking ones available IMO,and they will do custom fits as they had a Mac1 in the workshop having one fitted when I was there one day.

Beauty most definitely in the eye of the beholder
Not a fan of the MK cage at all.

CosKev3

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Beauty most definitely in the eye of the beholder
Not a fan of the MK cage at all.

Each to there own

Suppose you like the pencil thin ones that sit 6 foot above your head?!?!?

WallerZero

posted on 18/12/15 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys

I've had a look at the MK cage and agree it looks good, but as with everything everyone sees things differently. I'll give some of these guys a call in the new year to see what they say.

I'm planning a complete strip down with this engine build so having it back to pretty much the chassis is not an issue, just transporting the chassis is lol. Will be going for weld in for strength. Bolt in would be nice to take on and off at will but tbh I think I'd rather have it there and know it is all a single unit rather than hope the bolts hold as well! Spent a lot on time trying to figure out a retrofitted cage for a project at uni which gave a lot of headaches as they wanted it to be adjustable!?! Only option was bolt in and have several cage designs/aero add-ons! But I'd rather leave my safety to professionals lol.

I need a couple other bits addressed with the chassis in regards to extra bracing and strengthening/stiffening so may look to include that as well

Rosco86

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
aero add-ons

please tell me more!!

My Build Thread

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Before you fit a cage, decide what you want it for & what you might be interested in doing in a couple of years.

Some cages may not pass scrutineering if you decide to sprint / race.

Its also important to make sure they join the chassis in a sensible place - putting a join in the middle of tube isn't clever (i have seen luckily only a few do that).

I've not dealt with any supplier in years but did have a very good experience with ProComp in the past and hence rate them.

WallerZero

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
quote:
aero add-ons

please tell me more!!

It was only simple things like a top mounted rear wing/flap and potentially looking at using the roll cage to essentially be a frame for a hard top. It was quickly just switched to a bolt in design as the crash safety work would take up a lot of the project time.

Well to be honest I think with the car as it is, I don't fit any regulations for any race series and for the idea of a doing sprints or hill climbs I think are more than just a few years off but would probably want to use a single seater and maybe look at that route for competitions. I've only just started planning Christmas! Don't stand a chance planning for competitions in 5+years haha

stevec33

posted on 28/12/15 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ever heard of existing rear rac type cages being converted to a full cage? Ive thought about this but not sure if its been done or is possible
foggy@smr

posted on 25/1/16 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield welded in rear roll bar with Caged bolt on front section. Ex BARC Westfield race series car.

Westfield Linky Pic

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.