Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY inlet plenum ideas
bi22le

posted on 11/3/16 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
DIY inlet plenum ideas

Due to noise im getting some plans together on a new inlet plenum.

I am thinking of either making one from ali and welding it up or making one from carbon fibre with an ali back plate.

I can't seem to find an answer of how to seal the CF to the the ali back plate. I am currently thinking of a 15mm lip with foam tape and screws.

Any ideas?

I want to future proof so it must be capable of taking boost. I also understand the principles of design, its just material and assembly ideas im after.

Cheers

[Edited on 11/3/16 by bi22le due to drunk posting]

[Edited on 12/3/16 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MadMaxx

posted on 12/3/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'm also interested to the arirbox for my Fury realised with an aluminiun plate and fiberglass box screwed on it. It should be low enought to fit without to cut the bonnet.

My re-building diary:

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13448

twybrow

posted on 12/3/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
PU will stick the Ali to the CF no problem. Alternatively, make it one piece without a backing plate? Your proposal to use foam strip wont be good for boost I would think. Ideally one piece, or split the box to have a removable lid rather than backplate?
cr500dom

posted on 28/8/16 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I just typed out a massive detailed reply and lost it

Google "Lost foam" technique for carbon fibre

PU foam, carbon Fibre, Epoxy Resin and PAint thinners

You will need to think about how it will be attatched too and how you'll get to the fittings.
Id suggest keeping the plenum simple and the attachment external.

I've made Carbon Fibre Fuel Tanks this way, sometimes in a hurry and they have held up for years

bi22le

posted on 28/8/16 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cr500dom
I just typed out a massive detailed reply and lost it

Google "Lost foam" technique for carbon fibre

PU foam, carbon Fibre, Epoxy Resin and PAint thinners

You will need to think about how it will be attatched too and how you'll get to the fittings.
Id suggest keeping the plenum simple and the attachment external.

I've made Carbon Fibre Fuel Tanks this way, sometimes in a hurry and they have held up for years

Thats annoying Ill always read people's posts to my OP as time has been spent too share knowledge, thats what this forum is about.

As this has been reserected I may as well update.

I was going to use the PX600 series air box but after getting one found that it will still require a bonnet cut. It also won't take boost which is something I want my solution to be capable of in the future.

Due to this I have decided to go for a GTiR plunum with custom back plate which I have CAD up. It will receive the GTiR lid and bolt straight to the 4age ITBs. It will be quite thick to offer threads, a recess to increase volume and create a rounded mouth to the inlets.

Ill keep the forum posted with the results because it should be quite a nice and neat solution.

Due to this i have

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Bunje

posted on 1/11/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I too am going down a route with a pulsar plenum lid. im turboing my mx5 westfeild whilst trying to leep my jenvey throttle bodies which i already had. ive had backplates and spacers laser cut by a firm down in cornwall.

im hoping that its going to hold boost

jeffw

posted on 1/11/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mine does...

r1_pete

posted on 1/11/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know whether this will help, but I searched the web for pictures of 6 cylinder cars with inlet plenums.

The Skyline one looked closest to what I needed, and combined with some XJ6 efi bits came up with this for the E Type, its all welded with only the head and TB joints, so could be boosted:

nearly there 3
nearly there 3

[Edited on 1/11/16 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 1/11/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bunje
I too am going down a route with a pulsar plenum lid. im turboing my mx5 westfeild whilst trying to leep my jenvey throttle bodies which i already had. ive had backplates and spacers laser cut by a firm down in cornwall.

im hoping that its going to hold boost

That is a nice amount of additional plenum capacity you have there. I don't have that luxury, the plenum only just fits under my bonnet.

I am hoping I don't have lean / rich issues across the chambers due to the low capacity.

sdh2903

posted on 1/11/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is there much benefit in keeping the jenveys on a straightforward turbo build? Wouldn't selling the jenveys pay for a good chunk of the conversion? I'm genuinely curious as you don't see many itb'd turbod mx5 engines.
CosKev3

posted on 1/11/16 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Is there much benefit in keeping the jenveys on a straightforward turbo build? Wouldn't selling the jenveys pay for a good chunk of the conversion? I'm genuinely curious as you don't see many itb'd turbod mx5 engines.

I'm currently turbo charging and converting my carbed R1 engine to injection and due to the odd spacing of the inlet ports I'm going over to a single throttle body on a custom built inlet/plenum as suggested by Dale at Bailey Performance as he said there is no advantage to ITB's at all on a charged engine.

If anything they just make the engine harder to set up!

Bunje

posted on 2/11/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
im doing it out of curiosity if im honest. because i already had the jenveys. and i dont need the money to pay for the turbo bits. i have seen it done on a monster car over in the states. ive spoken to northampton motorsport about the mapping and was told that as long as the plenum can hold the boost it shouuldnt be a problem. plus the wiring is easier with the jenveys as its already done. i have nothing to lose and maybe nothing to gain but im trying it anyway
FuryRebuild

posted on 2/11/16 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also going down this route - I'll be 3D printing mine and then taking a mould from that and going to make it in CF via resin infusion. If you were going to want it to handle a charge at some point, I would look to go for CF and or Aramid. Aramid is stronger than CF under tension, but weaker in compression.

Here is an example of my first printed iteration of an airbox, but I've decided to scrap this design for the fury. It's typical of a lot of airboxes out there, and has dimensions similar to that from Jenvey and others. Even though I'm scrapping the part it was a good apprentice piece.

Description
Description

I'm scrapping it mainly because I have a lot of room under the bonnet with a fury, so I can avoid taking the air around a sharp bend. I'm currently taking inspiration from this BMW design which has a much more gradual turn for the air. Also, (apparently) duratecs respond better if the air filter is near the front of the run. I'd either use samco 100mm hose to duct the feed, or make a nice smooth hose run in something more solid and again, mould and make in CF. Maybe Samco first for speed, and then retrofit the CF later if I can be bothered.

[Edited on 2/11/16 by FuryRebuild]

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Bunje

posted on 3/11/16 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
interesting. i dont have that much room under the bonnet and am going to have to cut the bonnet to get the plenum in. i was going to get it mapped wiothout the bonnet just to make sure it all works and then cut it later. i was going to look into carbon fibre plenums as the one i have now is rather heavy even with all the alluminium parts. i have seen some plenums at reverie carbon but im not sure which way to go
http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/automotive_home.php

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.