Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC launch control?
moosdad

posted on 15/11/16 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
BEC launch control?

Does anyone know of a launch control system that will work with a bike engine?
I have a 96/97 fireblade (919) and think this would be an amazing mod!

I have seen the Omex system for cars, but unfortunately its not compatible with CD ignition, which i believe the blade engine runs.

Any help or point in the right direction would be brilliant.

Dave

daniel mason

posted on 15/11/16 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Think xoomspeed do one
twybrow

posted on 15/11/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would ask why? It will put strain on an already strained gearbox. I avoid standing starts for this reason, but if you are less mechanically sympathetic than me, then go for it! Most OEM systems limit the revs as a function of wheel speed and gear choice, allowing just a little over rotation compared to the forward speed. So to emulate this, you could need an array of sensors front and rear, a rev limiter and an ecu to control it all... Good luck!
LBMEFM

posted on 15/11/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I would ask why? It will put strain on an already strained gearbox. I avoid standing starts for this reason,

I also try to avoid fast starts with my bec as the car is heavier on the gear box than the bike as stated above, also the clutch will not withstand the extra loads for long. I would recommend that you don't fit it.

daniel mason

posted on 15/11/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
We launch the hell out of them on fat super soft slicks up to 10 times per event.
james h

posted on 15/11/16 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you do fluff a launch, make sure it's because you lit up your tyres. I had a passenger in mine when I did a hard launch, but it bogged down massively (more traction over the rear wheels), and overheated the clutch, so the plates fused together! Managed to unstick them, but it was a good hour in a car park sorting it out.
mark chandler

posted on 15/11/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mine gets hammered, lock up clutch, turbo and the gearbox only blew because of a botched change down, 4th to third at Blyton, I really would not worry about it.

Changing the gearbox is only a few hours anyway once the lumps on the table.

moosdad

posted on 16/11/16 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, it wouldn't be an everytime thing just an occasional ultimate standing start!

But let's face it, in my case, I can pick up an engine for 400 quid, and 2 hours or so to fit!
I only got the car earlier in the year, and am finding it really difficult to launch it properly.
I've spent time weighting up the clutch and accelerator to get them more car like, but I'm still having trouble.

And the icing on the cake is a mate of mine is about to buy an exige.. So hence the launch control idea!
I'll email about the xoom one, but ultimately it's pretty much a no go if they are 6 - 7 - 800 quid

Dave

Matt21

posted on 24/11/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you're struggling to launch it there is something amiss either with the car or your driving

The only time I struggle is with two people and hot tyres (R888), too much weight and grip on the back end and not enough grunt.

full throttle, as it gets over 10k just dump the clutch and off you go. Slight adjustments on the throttle by just feeling how the car is reacting. Too much spinning then back off very slightly, bogging down, add some throttle.
There's no right or wrong you just kinda have to feel whats making the car accelerate quicker and whats hindering it. But this changes every time you do it depending on the road surface (not public roads, obviously) temp, tyres, tyre pressure, tyre temps, weight in the car, geometery etc etc

Works a lot better with just one person in so practice that first. I'd suggest avoiding it with 2 people on a summers day...

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.