Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hamerite paint??
bigbriglasgow

posted on 18/2/05 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hamerite paint??

Hi all

looking for some more help. I am going to paint all the rusty bit in my car (steel floor, chassis parts ect..) can anyone tell me the best thing to use to paint the car, was going to use hamershite but am open to any ideas. also a product called kurust or por something?? any help and info as some parts of the car are needing some attention! suppliers (scottish?) also would be appreciated as have tried to source kurust and can only get in 190ml size, at that i would be cheaper building a new car!

thanks in advance

Brian

stevebubs

posted on 18/2/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at Frost's

http://www.frost.co.uk/

The POR15 stuff is good for curing rust

britishtrident

posted on 18/2/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Don't us kurust it just makes a mess, just anny decent rust treatment followed by a zinc primer (Davids's is quite good.)
omega 24 v6

posted on 18/2/05 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you use hammerite and don't like the finish I don't think you can paint over the top with any other paint.
Northy

posted on 18/2/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Red oxide followed by outdoor grade gloss! Takes a few days to dry properly but once it does its as hard as nails! And leaves a nice finish.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mattplace

posted on 18/2/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
was talking to my uncle the other day and in work he uses a paint called "G8" for painting electricity board metal parts. he said its a milion times better than hammershite and its cheaper! going down the local 'colour centre' tomorrow to get a tin to try so will keep you posted.

has anyone else used / heard of it?

Peteff

posted on 18/2/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q enamel paint.

Their primer's good as well if you are brush painting.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

big_wasa

posted on 18/2/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have painted some bits with smooth hamerite which seems to be cellulose based so it can be thined and sprayed..
I have had really good results with garage door gloss enamel but at this time of year it can take two or three days to be touch dry ,But give it a couple of weeks and it goes very hard indeed

zilspeed

posted on 19/2/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Brian

try this link

http://www.por15.com/

ayoungman

posted on 15/3/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
paint

use synthetic enamel. Brush on and self leveling. When cured its very tough. Used to be called tractor paint !
A motor paint factors can mix up any colour you want. My chassis has had two coats of the stuff. See picture archive.

Daniel

posted on 27/4/05 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking at dfferent types of paint for ages, this stuff is meant to be the best, well hope it is

http://www.rustbullet.com/index.htm

I managed to buy it through there distributor in Germany enough to do 36ft2 was £45.30 delivered. Only comes in grey so means a top coat as well. But worth the effort

Hope that helps

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.