Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch Problems (i think)
ianr

posted on 13/12/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch Problems (i think)

I am still a novice after buying a sylva strika. And hoped to pick things up as i went along. Which i am doing, one thing after another.

The car had been left in the garge for about 2/3 weeks i had a clear afternoon and went to start her up. Once started although the clutch was fully on the floor i could not put it in gear with out it crunching like crazy.

Could anybody give me a starting point ?

Could this be a stuck clutch that just needs to be put in gear with my hands over my ears ?

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly sounds like a stuck clutch plate . Might be worth making sure you have plenty of room in front of car and try to start engine with car in gear and foot on the clutch sometimes works .If not if you have a clear road try driving with foot on clutch . as a last resort jam pedal down and squirt WD40 into bell housing . Leave for a few hours and if clutch then frees off try pulling off in third gear a few times which should dry out WD40 . Final option take engine out to remove clutch Best of luck
mark chandler

posted on 13/12/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming that the cltch feels okay then the driven plate has probally attached its self to the flywheel.

Not the end of the world, in the first instance try and start it with the car in gear, clutch down and brake on, hopefully the starter motor will jerk it free.

Second option, push it out to the road, stick it in second clutch down and try towing it gently with the engine off.

Third go is start in 1st gear and drive with the clutch down and use the engine to jerk the car around until it free's itself.

Regards Mark

ianr

posted on 13/12/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well that is encouraging, It does not sound too drastic. I have a few things to try this sat morning.

Cheers

johnemms

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
generaly you find an opening round the bell housing... if not .. drill a hole inline with the flywheel... you can now get a friend to press the clutch while you insert a long thin screwdriver to free the plate off the flywheel...

never know till you try....lol

Dusty

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Did you manage to get it into gear eventualy while the engine was running or was that impossible?
Peteff

posted on 14/12/05 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just start it up and rev the bo11ocks off it in neutral for a few minutes with the pedal pressed and released, then try sticking it into third with your foot firmly on the brake. You live and learn after you knock your bike through the door and split your nosecone.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ianr

posted on 14/12/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Did you manage to get it into gear eventualy while the engine was running or was that impossible?

No i did not i was not sure how far to force it ! So i left it and will try again on with the suggestions on here

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/12/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Jack up the back end, put into fith gear, start the engine (back wheels will be turning), 'accellerate' upto 100mph, floor the throttle and brake at the same time.

Something WILL give, it is usually the siezed on clutch

(in reality, try it at 10mph and repeat at 10mph increments until it frees)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 15/12/05 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Would suggest not trying to put it into gear with engine running and car on floor . This will not help your gearbox or free off the clutch. driving with foot on clutch and sharp accelaration often works. It's worth pointing out how often this happenseven when car has only stood a short time , in fact I once steam cleaned a renault 5 engine and clutch was stuck an hour later.
ianr

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
well thanks for that, she is back on the road now. Started her in gear and push stated her a few times (about 1 hour) and it eventually freed up.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.