Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which oil and oil filter?
samwilliams
Junior Builder

Posts 86
Registered 21/7/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Bought (yeah, I know it's cheating) Sylva Pho

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Which oil and oil filter?

Going to change the oil and oil filter, and wanted to check what the best things to get was. I am clueless! It's a 1600 crossflow, not very tuned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sam

DaveFJ

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
seem to remeber a thread a while back when Dave Jenkins was having problems with opil pressure. general consensus was IIRC to use a thicker oil for the crossflow........

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
For all year round use don't put in 20w/50 it makes Xflows very difficult to start in cold weather, For summer use 20w/50 is OK but at this time of year 15w/40 is better choice as is 15w/50. The xflo also needs an oil which is fairly detergent --- any modern quality oil that is also rated for diesel engines will be OK in this respect.

Generally old engines don't do well oils that are thin when hot but the xflo will be happy with any quality oil that has a cold end rating of 15w and a top viscosity rating of 40 or above.

Castrol GTX Magnatec 15w/40
Duckhams Q 15w/40

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was having oil problems - but that was due to a sticking pressure relief valve in the pump! (also some user-ability errors in the early days... )

Generally you should use the grade of oil that was recommended when the engine was new - 20W50. I'd use the standard filter (see Halfrauds shelves) from any respectable manuf.

UPDATE: I use 20W50 all year round - no probs as long as the battery is fully charged.

cheers,
David

[Edited on 31/1/06 by David Jenkins]

[Edited on 31/1/06 by David Jenkins]

samwilliams
Junior Builder

Posts 86
Registered 21/7/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Bought (yeah, I know it's cheating) Sylva Pho

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
You're not supposed to give me options, it's supposed to be a nice, definitive, 'this is the correct oil to go for', and then you all agree with it!

My car does complain a little bit starting from cold, but generally does start. Are there any potential problems from using 15w40?

Sam

[Edited on 31/1/06 by samwilliams]

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
It will probably work OK - I think that's what the Haynes manual recommends anyway.

I chose to use Ford's original spec!

David

scutter

posted on 31/1/06 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was having pressure problems due to cheap oil, use valvoline 20w/50 now best thing i ever did, shame it was after replacing the oil pump!!!

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 31/1/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Valvoline is good--

Kent engines have an ancient history of oil problems the original 1962 pre-xflo 1200 three main bearing engines would run big-ends at the drop of hat due oilways clogging up --- the 5 bearing versions were much better in this respect to the extent that big-end failure is practically unkown. But they still need a strongly detergent oil to keep the oil ways clear particularly to rocker gear.

Kent engined cars were always particularly bad winter starters garages made a fortune from house calls to start dead Cortinas --- the starter motors were never really man enough to cope with cold winters and 20w/50.

rusty nuts

posted on 31/1/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Use 20/50 all year in mine , have never had problems starting but mine has a pre engaged starter which helps . As B. T. says they were never the best of starting engines .
Marcus

posted on 31/1/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was advised to use an OEM oil filter from the likes of Burton and a 20 / 50 oil (presently using Halfords classic). No worries on the starting front, started first time last week after being standing since October.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
What about Pintos??

Ive held back posting this so it doesnt constitute a hijack.

Does the oil recommendations hold true for Pinto's as well? ie 15W40 or 20W40.

I made an error with mine i think. When servicing Mondeo i ended up with a spare can of 5W30 and chucked that in. For some reason ive got it in my head that Ford changed the recommended spec for petrol engines to this grade. Im now convinced that it is not good for the Pinto. I have however decided to change oil at 500 miles so that basically the new oil has been used to flush it out (engine was stood a while before fitting). Car is used mainly for road but with some hobby track days. Engine is old bottom end, not rebuilt so would be classified as 'old'.

Thanks for your help.

jos

posted on 8/2/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to be using 15w50 mineral Halfords own when I come to do my oil & filter change Darren. HTH

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

snapper

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto is a very old design and needs the appropriate oil, rember when the engine was first built there was not the engineering tolorances available that there are today. Generally thicker oil and i would think (waits to be corrected) more presure, more oil for the bearings to run on and less losses with 20w 50.
I will put the best in mine.

roadboy

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Generally old design engines do not like thin synthetic modern oil. Stick with original oil recommended when engines were manufactured. Tolerances on older type engines are much greater than todays engines HTH
Ian

Jude Performance Services

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.