Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sticky throttle
millenniumtree

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky throttle

1989 Civic 1.5, Fuel Injection.

Doesn't happen so much when it's cold... And only gets bad when I've warmed it up, shut it down, then started back up again. If it warms up without a shut-down, it seems OK mostly.

Pulling up on the accelerator pedal brings it back to idle.

It's not terribly serious, because it doesn't go crazy, just a bit of a high idle. Enough to slowly travel around by slipping the clutch without pressing the accelerator. (good for parking lots, but still quite annoying)

It's got 134,000 miles on it. It seemed to happen a few weeks after replacing the head gasket, which involved taking off the intake manifold. Replaced a few gaskets and o-rings in there too. Any ideas?

I oiled the little half-wheel that the cable tugs on, but it is still doing it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 29/3/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hondas are very prone to throttlebody gunging --- good spray with carb cleaner and rub with an old toothbrush also unbolt the idle control valve and give it the same treatment.

Do a google it should come up with full instructions -- loads of Civic sites on the net.

iceman26

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
check vac hoses and the 1 way valve in the vac hose this can cause this problem
millenniumtree

posted on 5/4/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed!

Here was the clue:
"Pulling up on the accelerator pedal brings it back to idle"

I should have realized that meant the problem was somewhere in the linkage.

There was no slack on the pedal AT ALL, so as soon as my foot touched the pedal, the revs would increase...

The cable had been adjusted improperly somewhere along the line (probably in all my fiddling with the intake manifold, head gasket, etc.) So I slackened off the cable slightly and whammo, no more sticky revving.

Thanks guys for the tips. However much I wanted to rip open the intake manifold (again), I'm glad I didn't have to.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.