Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: More noise reduction.
Dusty

posted on 30/9/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
More noise reduction.

Currently have a four branch manifold into a 2" inch pipe then 6" x 17" custom chrome(rust) silencer. I have a five inch silencer which I have just cut up to make an extra box between manifold and silencer as per pic. This can have a perforated through pipe, with or without wadding or just be an empty expansion box.

Anyone have ideas about which would be best for additional silencing bearing in mind I can't afford a new silencer at present and this is 'free'.
Any ideas which format is most effective on silencing and if there is likely to be any effect on performance bearing in mind it was not a tuned length before and still wont be one!

Rats. Still can't add a pic to posts I start. The box doesn't appear. I will add to archive.

[Edited on 30/9/06 by Dusty]

smart51

posted on 30/9/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that keeping the perforated pipe and packing would be best. Its just like having two silencers. I would have thought that one long silencer would be better than two short ones but if its free, I guess two is better than one.
rick q

posted on 30/9/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I built my silencer using a gutted Yamaha R1 can. The first time I had a simple perforated core (lots of little round holes) with wadding and it was LOUD. The second version used a louvred core (like lots of fingernail sized air scoops) with the open end of the louvres facing the engine - much much better. Stainless mesh also lasts whereas fibreglass wadding just dissappears.
see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=IMGP2718.JPG

Danozeman

posted on 1/10/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

I would fill it with wadding using the perforated tube. TBH though i dont think the extra silencer would make a great deal of difference if your big one is packed well.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dave r

posted on 1/10/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
have recently fitted 2 volvo front boxes to mine.. cost less than 40 quid, and an hours work

made it so quiet, i can hear the gearbox front bearing is on the way out!

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rick q
I built my silencer using a gutted Yamaha R1 can. The first time I had a simple perforated core (lots of little round holes) with wadding and it was LOUD. The second version used a louvred core (like lots of fingernail sized air scoops) with the open end of the louvres facing the engine - much much better. Stainless mesh also lasts whereas fibreglass wadding just dissappears.
see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=IMGP2718.JPG

Louved pipe pointed at the engine like that absolutely kills hp!!!

The flow reduction is HUGE, much more than you will expect.

Will be very quiet, but needs turning round once tests etc are passed!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Dusty

posted on 14/10/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting the extra little box made a big difference. Went with perf tube and packing in the end. I should think it is easily down to 95ish db.
smart51

posted on 14/10/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
how loud was it before? How long was the extra box that you fitted? I might be able to do something similar, if I needed too.
Dusty

posted on 14/10/06 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Around 100db. Box is 8" by 5" dia straight through plus tails to mate it into the 2" system. Effect exceeds all expectations. Easy fit for trackdays when you are tight on noise. Don't know about power loss till my next RR session but nothing obvious.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.