Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hand Cream Recommendations

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hand Cream Recommendations

A bit of a wimps question this one.

My hands over this winter have got in a right state. The skin on my palms is so rough I can sharpen a pencil on them.
My finger tips are not any better and tend to crack, some times to the point of bleeding, so I guess I should be using
some sort of moisturizing cream on them. Unfortunately giving up work isn't an option.

I've had a browse on the net and the name "Rozalex" comes up, both as a barrier cream and as an after work cream
called "Xworx". They use the term "Industry Standard" in their adverts.

Does anyone use this stuff, or know of a better product?

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul G

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have used that neutragena (sp??) Norwegian formula stuff. was better than a couple of others I have tried. But do get the handcream, they do another version that is "thinner" and not as effective.
The Mrs suffers with sore hands and cracked skin, and has tried just about everything including what the quack has prescribed. She uses the above.

philhoward

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Try Lotil. You can get it from Boots.

It is one of the best creams I have ever used.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I suffer like this too, usually through the winter. there is a beauty treatment where they put your hands in oil and then encased them in molten wax. its actually very pleasant and really helped my hands.

I use the Norwegian cream which is good too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

BenB

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

People often think your hands need lots of oils but it's not actually that true. The palms of the hands and fingers don't actually produce lots of oil so the skin's pretty used to it- that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

adithorp

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I have used that neutragena (sp??) Norwegian formula stuff. was better than a couple of others I have tried. But do get the handcream, they do another version that is "thinner" and not as effective.
The Mrs suffers with sore hands and cracked skin, and has tried just about everything including what the quack has prescribed. She uses the above.

+1 on Neutragena. A good barrier cream helps as well, but they're a pain if your hands get wet while working. What soap do you use? I used to suffer with cracked hands but have had no problems this winter (or last) and haven't used either Barrier cream or moisturiser. I think it's that the latest soaps are a lot better. Years ago they were terrible using Swarfega.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

HowardB

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Atrixo is one that I use with good results,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

scootz

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Another for Neutrogena!

It's Evolution Baby!

40inches

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something
you would/not recommend Ben?

David Jenkins

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Rozalex is excellent stuff to put on your hands BEFORE you start work - it used to be (maybe still is) the front-running barrier cream. Apart from that - I've used Neutrogena in the past, and it seemed to help.

Mind you, I've got softy computer-user hands, while Paul's have the texture of a builder's well-used leather gloves!

[Edited on 12/3/12 by David Jenkins]

scootz

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB... that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

Every day's a schoolday!

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something

Wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. Superglue bonds skin together well. Infact we used to use plain old superglue in A+E for tacking together people's scalps after being bottled. Works nicely. Anyone who has used superglue quickly realises it sticks together skin better than most things

stevebubs

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

BenB

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by BenB... that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

Every day's a schoolday!

Cheeky

scootz

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I honestly never knew that (and have occasionally wondered why my feet and hands go all wrinkly in the bath)

It's Evolution Baby!

dhutch

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something you would/not recommend Ben?
They use superglue inplace of stiches for sticking back cuts. Invented by Kodak!

I use 'double base' as a general purpose non-sented mosteriser, which you ca get in tescos in a tube or 500ml pump top. But as said, half the battle is applying barrier cream or gloves beforehand! Something im still working in being good at.

Daniel

gttztt

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hand Cream Recommendations

When I am on site now, I use Marigold PX130 gloves which are brilliant. I was forced to use them on a building site and was seriously hacked off - Elf-n-safety gone mad etc BUT drilling into concrete/plasterboard and general work has made a huge difference to the condition of my hands. They still need to come off for the really fiddly stuff but otherwise they stay on permanently on site
Just wish I had used them years ago for wirelocking stuff on aircraft - I am sure they would have helped, especially in winter

40inches

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Thanks for that, good to know I am not slowly poisoning myself Interesting to see that rock climbers use it for the same purpose.

40inches

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I honestly never knew that (and have occasionally wondered why my feet and hands go all wrinkly in the bath)

Only your feet and hands?

GeoffT

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
For those splits around the fingertips I use Germoline 'New Skin', it's like a thick acetone that you paint into the crack.

Can sting a bit for a second or two if the crack is really deep, but feels much more comfortable afterwards.

Don't those splits hurt though, when you catch them in your pockets, etc, and rip them open again.....

Peteff

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
For those splits around the fingertips I use Germoline 'New Skin', it's like a thick acetone that you paint into the crack.

My thumbs split at the nail joint and I tried superglue but it only sealed the crack so I tried the New Skin and it works a lot better. For your skin get some Dry Skin SOS off the Avon lady, it is brilliant, as good as Neutrogena you only need a tiny drop at a time. Rozalex is good stuff we used to use it when I was fettling and it makes tour hands easier to clean after a shift.

[Edited on 12/3/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm..

I am diabetic so need to keep my feet in good condition. E45 cream works well for me on all parts.

Also use Vasseline intensive care, its reasonably good as a day to day cream.

I also use Avon Glycerine hand cream on my elbow which is dry and splits. (mainly thru elbows on a desk for a lot of the day). Its well oily!

Havent used Nutregena, but have heard good things about it.

At BT..... Rozzalex barrier cream was used by the cable gangs, and anyone else getting dirty (also for working on grease filled cables when jointing the wires). They also had a removal cream, but cant remember what it was (it was 25 years ago) Its good stuff. I have used it many times. Just work it in well until its absorbed.

Using Latex Gloves for prolonged periods, ie hours a day every day, can give you latex sensativity, which is not nice. So, use when necessary rather than for long periods regularly, unless you really have to.

I have used Germoline all my life, and its a good and well tried product.
Also Savlon, works well, and also use that.

Hope this helps.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Before starting any job rub Vaselin into your hands.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gttztt

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention that the Marigold gloves are Nylon and have dipped PU palms and fingers.
David Jenkins

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Using Latex Gloves for prolonged periods, ie hours a day every day, can give you latex sensativity, which is not nice. So, use when necessary rather than for long periods regularly, unless you really have to.

I put on some latex gloves when I stripped my x-flow the first time, as I'd heard about all the problems with old engine oil, etc. I ended up in casualty after getting a major allergic reaction to the gloves! A pair of bright red and sore hands for my trouble.

However, it did explain why I used to come out in a really bad rash as kid, when I had an Elastoplast fabric plaster put on me - they used to use latex glue (not any more). Also, I used to get sore lips after the dentist did a filling - due to his latex gloves. Now he puts on nitrile gloves - and I always keep a box of those in my garage!

Useful info on those Marigold gloves - normal rubber gloves use latex, so it's good to hear about any type that use PU.

[Edited on 12/3/12 by David Jenkins]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.