Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternatives to Cortina Ball joints
shpub

posted on 20/10/04 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Alternatives to Cortina Ball joints

I need some help/advice for my competition car that uses Cortina based suspension.

I need to source a ball joint that has a Cortina taper but is designed like the Triumph Spitfire one with a block of metal and two horizontal bolts.

I have the Transit drop link and Maxi joint but they are not suitable for the design I have in mind.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?
Is the spitfire taper the same?

Thanks for your time
Steve

ned

posted on 20/10/04 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
you could always find one with a larger taper and get the upright drilled if that helps..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 20/10/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the taper, but XJ6 upper joints are like you describe, have grease nipples and are VERY strong (and shimmable)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jcduroc

posted on 21/10/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shpub
Steve

Spitfire's lower balljoint is in fact a trunion, no taper (AFAIK).

... It's for Volvos.

SORRY! It's Saab.
(All swedish are blondes, aren't they!...)

[Edited on 21/10/04 by jcduroc]

JCM

marc n

posted on 21/10/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
just cross refered that part no. to moog and it is saying saab 900 ?

no tech spec unfortunately just a picture showing balljoint with mounting block attached to wishbone by two horizontal mounting holes as opposed to the maxi s verticle ones

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 21/10/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
i looked thru the QH catalogue and couldnt find it under volvo. Is there a picture anywhere?

whilst we're on the subject of exotic parts, are there any good off the shelf lightweight (or at least, lighter) front uprights? my next project is gonna be as light as i can manage. Are there any (relatively) cheapish sources of light custom uprights?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

marc n

posted on 21/10/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
hi joel
weve just become a raceleada distributor ( they have just revised their prices see our website ) they are also in the process of designing a sierra replacement due for release in jan / feb ( at last a chance to get rid of the sierra boat anchors !!

They are Also making a rear upright for our cars too !

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jcduroc

posted on 21/10/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcduroc
quote:
Steve

Spitfire's lower balljoint is in fact a trunion, no taper (AFAIK).

... It's for Volvos.

SORRY! It's Saab.
(All swedish are blondes, aren't they!...)

QH QSJ1004S is for Saab 900.
(Sorry)

JCM

James

posted on 21/10/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
whilst we're on the subject of exotic parts, are there any good off the shelf lightweight (or at least, lighter) front uprights? my next project is gonna be as light as i can manage. Are there any (relatively) cheapish sources of light custom uprights?

Joel,

Have a look at Rorty's website. He makes his own uprights out of box section as far as I can tell.

HTH,

James

jcduroc

posted on 21/10/04 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here it goes:

Quinton Hazel QSJ1004S as per SAAB900. Rescued attachment Qsj1004s.jpg
Rescued attachment Qsj1004s.jpg

JCM

JoelP

posted on 24/10/04 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
heres a piccy i found. Looks like an interesting alternative. i might buy one just to fiddle with...

Peteff

posted on 24/10/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Volvo 340 as well.

It looks like it might fit, check it with the catalogue.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

shpub

posted on 25/10/04 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the help and ideas. Looks like I'll have to use the Cortina one as I don;t fancy reaming out the upright and reducing the metal. I haven't broken a Cortina joint yet but have bent upright arms - tyre wall at around 70mph at Goodwood so I think I'll stay with the Cortina unit. Just means a bit more machining.

One of the reasons behind the change is that I have coil overs on the original Cortina wishbone and I am seeing a lot of stress problems with the mount which is why I am designing a replacement. The wishbone is also twisting and distorting the geometry when pushed hard.

The car is TVR 390SE Wedge. It runs on slicks and has about 400 bhp at the wheels. It puts a lot of stress on the suspension and the Cortina bit is showing its age...

jcduroc

posted on 25/10/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
My thinking is that you can keep the Cortina uprights and use the Saab 900-Quinton Hazel QSJ1004S lower balljoints; just redesign the extremeties of the lower 'bones.

Joćo Matoso

quote:
Thanks guys for the help and ideas. Looks like I'll have to use the Cortina one as I don;t fancy reaming out the upright and reducing the metal. I haven't broken a Cortina joint yet but have bent upright arms - tyre wall at around 70mph at Goodwood so I think I'll stay with the Cortina unit. Just means a bit more machining.

One of the reasons behind the change is that I have coil overs on the original Cortina wishbone and I am seeing a lot of stress problems with the mount which is why I am designing a replacement. The wishbone is also twisting and distorting the geometry when pushed hard.

The car is TVR 390SE Wedge. It runs on slicks and has about 400 bhp at the wheels. It puts a lot of stress on the suspension and the Cortina bit is showing its age...

JCM

Steve Hnz

posted on 26/10/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Joao, the stumbling block as I see it to using Saab 900 lower ball joints is that they`re too big in diameter. 17.2mm approx diam for the narrow end of the taper as against 15.4mm for the same dimension on the Cortina ball joints, thats a lot of reaming assuming you can find someone with a 1:8 taper reamer. Other than that, I agree, they present an attrctive alternative. Cheers, Steve.
type 907

posted on 26/10/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I'v got a feeling I shouldn't post this.....

O well, pass me my last fag and a blindfold.

As an alternative to Cortina ball joints,
why not, err, Cortina ball joints ?

Paul G Rescued attachment Cortina ball joint.jpg
Rescued attachment Cortina ball joint.jpg

Too much is just enough

jcduroc

posted on 26/10/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by type 907
As an alternative to Cortina ball joints,
why not, err, Cortina ball joints ?

Paul G

Because (at least here in Portugal) neither Ford nor QH importer is able to deliver them as requested (delay, price, etc...)

My parts supplier just told me: "Can't you replace that with a more recent one?"

JCM

JoelP

posted on 27/10/04 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
a uk ebay vendor would deliver them no probs. usually 4.99 or 6.99gbp with the buy it now brigade.

bit more, but international option:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27377&item=2496789919&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

[Edited on 27/10/04 by JoelP]

JoelP

posted on 27/10/04 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Joel,

Have a look at Rorty's website. He makes his own uprights out of box section as far as I can tell.

HTH,

James

hi james, i lokoed at rorty's site but its rather large! do you remember where you saw the info? cheers.

Steve Hnz

posted on 27/10/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don`t know if the taper is compatible but the Volvo 640(?) lower ball joint in the Sidem catalogue is much like a maxi one to look at & the narrow end of the taper is the correct diameter for the Cortina joint. Anyone know what the taper is? Cheers, Steve.
Peteff

posted on 27/10/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I knew it was one of the Volvos, I thought is was one of the 3**'s though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Steve Hnz

posted on 28/10/04 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Pete, you forced me to get A into G & look it up again. The sidem catalogue lists the ball joint I refered to as being for the:-
740............. 84-93
760............. 82-92
940/960...... 90-98
S90/V90...... 97->
Not sure what the suspension layput of these Volvos was & whether they were wishbone or mac strut but these are all listed as using them as a bottom ball joint.
HTH Cheers, Steve.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.