Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx12r accusump fitting
wirestriker

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
zx12r accusump fitting

Hello, I'm planning to fit an accusump on my newly aquired Zx12R Phoenix.

The original sump has been shortened and baffled, but due to the track use (and abuse) an accusump is necessary.

My doubt is how to properly set the system, I'm planning to fit a 2 quart accusump and a simple manual valve.

The standard zx12r oil capacity is about 3 quarts, then another 2 quarts will be stored in the accusump, but as many bike engines, at idle oil pressure is low, so the accumulator will discharge in the sump. Am I right? Will this total amount of oil be a problem when idling or using the engine below 3000rpm?

I found a lot of threads about accusump and zx12r, but no one is discussing about the real quantity of oil necessary with an this common setup.

Thanks, Matteo

Blackbird Rush

posted on 27/11/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Not sure about specifics of the install, however i think its best to discharge the accusump into the main gallery rather than the sump as if your cornering then the oil in the sump is still likely to be away from the pick up.

Ash

wirestriker

posted on 27/11/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
Hi

Not sure about specifics of the install, however i think its best to discharge the accusump into the main gallery rather than the sump as if your cornering then the oil in the sump is still likely to be away from the pick up.

Ash

Right, the accusump will be connected to the main gallery, not the sump, but in any case when the accumulator will discharge, oil level in the sump is going to rise.

wombat258

posted on 25/12/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
The 2 quart accumulator will store around 1 litre of oil at 25psi gauge pressure because of the air spring, so you should not have any problems at low rpm. In wet sump race applications we overfill bike engines in cars by 1 to 1.5 litres anyway to avoid surge. In my application I use the Canton electric valve to store the oil on shutdown of the engine . . . the bonus is that it primes the bearings before the next start, and the oil level in the engine does not increase by the fulll accumulator volume.
twybrow

posted on 26/12/13 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have your setup. And have not seen any issues with too much oil in the pan. It happens at such low rpm that the splashing of the crank into the oil is not going to do any harm (and that assumes a complete discharge of the Accusump too). Check the location if where you plan to plumb in your Accusump - the only available port I could find is the one on the opposite side to the block from the low pressure sensor. Removing the blanking plug to access the gallery was an absolute pain - it is threadlocked in place from new. Also be aware that if you screw into the hole too far, then you will actually restrict oil flow in the gallery. I am happy to give you details if my setup if you wish...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.