Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wind deflector on full roll cage
Hodor

posted on 5/4/16 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wind deflector on full roll cage

I have a windscreen on my Indy. I know, must be light on my loafers right? But I like to drive without a helmet and wish to keep my current dentures intact. Still, despite the windscreen, there is a shed load of buffeting goes on so I've been looking at fashioning a side screen. I also have a full rollcage so have come up with the following. It's a piece of perspex, drilled and mounted to a couple of clamps that I got off ebay that are designed to hold stage lights to rigging. I searched for 50mm clamps and that's what came up, pretty much prefect for my purpose. Would recommend, 4 stars.

Wind deflector
Wind deflector

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I'll probably redo the perspex, was my first attempt. Certainly helps having the screen but still doesn't stop my wooly hat from trying leave my head.

Clamps are this type of thing TSSS Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy 50mm/2" Diameter Wide O Disco Party Lights Clamp

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/4/16 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I made wind deflectors for my last striker any years ago fitted to the windscreen like the ones you see on Cobras improved the buffeting but I also made half doors which improved it even more , my present striker has a windscreen and I can't drive without a crash helmet if I don't have the doors on so it must of worked pretty well.you may want to round the edges a bit to stop them cracking .

[Edited on 6/4/16 by ian locostzx9rc2]

40inches

posted on 6/4/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I made some for the Indy, cuts the buffeting a lot, but as Ian said, side doors make a huge difference.
Description
Description
Description
Description

jeffw

posted on 6/4/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I always worry about someone's head impacting the rollcage without a helmet on in the event of an accident. Rollcages are really designed to be used while wearing a helmet.

Hodor

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yip, would probably smart. Although with the harness on, the nearest structure is the rear roll hoop that all these cars have, don't think it would be possible to reach the cage anywhere else?
Hodor

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I made some for the Indy, cuts the buffeting a lot, but as Ian said, side doors make a huge difference.
Description
Description
Description
Description

Did the top deflectors, the ones above the screen, do much?
Neat job btw.

scudderfish

posted on 6/4/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Description
Description
Description
Description

What did you use to mount the side ones?

Regards,
Dave

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.