Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solid or rubber mounted engines
Squadge

posted on 18/10/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Solid or rubber mounted engines

Hi everyone, what's the preferred method of mounting an engine? I know what the sensible option should be but I'm wondering how bad a solid mounted engine would actually be? Anyone doing it this way?
My engine is an R1 by the way which is pretty much solid mounted into the bike frame and doesn't give much vibration?
Any help would be great,
Thanks
Marc

theprisioner

posted on 18/10/16 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
It is the preferred way of mounting a bike engine. However prepare to do a spanner check every track day. The list of things that used to come loose on my Megabusa powered Westfield was endless but manageable. The advantage is that you get maximum torque transfer.

I used to have the Sigma engine on my J15 hard mounted and it used to shake my teeth loose driving it. The difference is when you tune a vvt type engine you get vibration modes that need to be taken out by the engine mountings. I suspect if you put a high lift cam in a bike engine then it is possible that you get a similar effect.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

russbost

posted on 19/10/16 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree it's fine to mount a bike engine that way. it's how we mount our ZZR1400's & we have no problem - it all adds to the brutal "race like" nature of the beast!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 19/10/16 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
No experience with bike engines, but car mounted engines I've used solid/stiff rubber mounts. IMHO it takes away some vibration and potential damage/loosening of other components. I'd guess that bike engines are hard mounted in bike frames, but then bikes may be designed to live with the vibration.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/10/16 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
My experience with the R1-5VY is that it was a vibration-free turbine, it was fine solidly mounted.

Other units have been more vibration generating, particularly the stroked/HC things (1585cc Hayabusa, 1143cc GSXR1000), but the R1 (998cc JE HC pistons) was a turbine.

Squadge

posted on 19/10/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, the engine of choice is the 5pw.
I was just a bit worried about whether the mountings that I was planning on using would withstand it or if they'd be goosed in no time. I'll have a look and see how they look but may just solid mount it.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/10/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
That engine will be just fine rigidly mounted.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.