Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New here, looking for advice and help please to get me started!
S7uyj

posted on 12/4/19 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
New here, looking for advice and help please to get me started!

Hello,
Tried to post in new members section but couldn't get it to work!
new to kit cars, and new to the forum.
I have finally realised I cant live without something fast! I drive a diesel Passat daily, as I do a lot of motorway miles but it's so boring!
I used to ride bikes, but a bad crash made me realise I dont want to take the risk anymore.

I now need to decide what I want. I've been looking at the below options. If anyone has any advice or feedback I would welcome it. Also, if anyone is local to glossop nr Manchester, I would love to get face to face with some different cars!
Gbs zero. Mazda or zetec engine.
Raw striker
Roadrunner
I prefer newer engine options, want to stay away from pinto/xfoow if I can
Ideally I want to buy something 2nd hand, pre built and iva'd
As an aircraft engineer and mechanic I am capable of building from scratch but my storage and time restrictions would slow me down a lot. I would rather buy built then improve and maintain as necessary.
I am looking at a budget of up to 8k ideally a bit less. I understand this time of year is going to have higher prices, but I'm in no rush, so do prices drop a lot towards winter?
Sorry for the long post!
Thanks
Stu

nick205

posted on 12/4/19 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard.

I too used to drive many many motorway miles and a lot of them in diesel Passats (estates). Great cars, but they don't set the driving experience on fire do they!

In 2003 I started building an MK Indy for the same reasons as you. Loved the building, finished product and the driving.

Then marriage, houses and kids came along and the Indy got sold.

If I were to build again it would a Striker for me. It would probably be a Striker if I bought a finished car as well.

Getting to see some (and a ride if you can) face to face is a really good idea. It'll give you a chance to look over the cars and get a real feel for them.

The Striker does it for me, because it's well rated and a bit smaller than many of the others.

Keep us posted on developments

[Edited on 12/4/19 by nick205]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 12/4/19 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Stoneleigh show is in a couple of weeks - will be all the main manufacturers and no doubt some cars for sale. Might be worth a visit.

Mark

Tiger Avon

jps

posted on 12/4/19 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
The Stoneleigh show is in a couple of weeks - will be all the main manufacturers and no doubt some cars for sale. Might be worth a visit.

+1. Worth it just to browse, you'll see the whole gamut of what kit cars are about.

nick205

posted on 12/4/19 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with getting yourself to Stoneleigh, haven't been myself since I was building my MK Indy, but it was a fantastic event to see lots of different cars and parts on offer.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.